Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use USB-C in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You guys are on two different branches running in parallel

We have 2023.32.X and 2023.26.X
32 has FSDb 11.4.4.X code embedded
26 has FSDb 11.4.7.x code
11.6 is a more beta FSD vs 11.4

Tesla internal is FSDb alpha
Then 11.4.7 is FSDb beta
11.4.4 is FSDb

Not. Tesla app site shows the we branches

I installed the 2023.32.6 update tonight and tested the front console USB ports and they work just fine for data and was able to play music on my USB stick. I have the T-parts data module and I didn't need to do any reboot. You might want to check your T-parts data module again or keep using the stock Tesla data module.
I ended up installing my spare Tesla oem usb module (data & power). Picking up an additional Tesla oem module today as a backup, took a week to arrive.

If we have a 2023 MY and no console Tesla data module, what’s the best place to secure one?
The T-parts USB data module for around $65 on Amazon works just fine even after the latest software update (2023.32.6). I have that installed in my car as long as your car is a HW3 which still has access to the USB port. Besides @ElectricAnt54 datapoint of his not working, I have yet to see anyone else reporting the same issue.

Last edited:
How much does a Tesla OEM USB module go for nowadays? Damn you must really love your data in your car or paranoid that the USB modules will go bad in the center console USB ports.
I wouldn’t recommend getting the part from Tesla anymore, explanation below.

Tesla’s usb module with data & power cost $27 currently (9/2023) last year it was $44. That is just the cost of the part. Installation is around $134 but they installed for free due to unusual circumstances explained below.

I got to the service center & the parts department wouldn’t give service advisor the part to hand over to me. Parts department offered to install the module for free & agreed to put my current (working) part in the glovebox. Usually price to install is $134 according to my invoice. Tesla Service Advisor gave me a loaner model s because I had driven there expecting to pick up a part. The next morning my car was ready for pickup at 8:30AM & my old module was in the glovebox. I was very nervous they’d forget and chuck it in the recycling bin never to be recovered. Remember all I wanted was an additional backup unit because in the past I have had bad luck with USB ports in my cars, I am just cursed. I recently had usb ports break in my raspberry pi computer 🤷‍♂️. So yes I have an odd curse. There are worse ways to be cursed so I’m thankful.

The reason for not handing the part to me was the part is now flagged as restricted so that means it must be installed by tesla. I suspect Tesla wants to keep enough inventory to cover the number of vehicles which originally shipped with the part. Car companies need to keep 10 years of parts on hand, something like that.

I’d advise people wanting a backup unit to not try to get the part from tesla. It was a big hassle & there is no guarantee the technician will remember to leave your old part in the car as this is an unusual request. Heck, I bet soon they just refuse to sell it to people who own model year 2022+. Also any time your car is at a SC there is a chance something else gets broken. I’d suggest getting the part off eBay, junk yard or new via the usual third party parts / modification vendors.

Tesla’s usb module with data & power cost $27 currently (9/2023) last year it was $44. That is just the cost of the part. Installation is around $134 but they installed for free due to unusual circumstances explained below.

I got to the service center & the parts department wouldn’t give service advisor the part to hand over to me. Parts department offered to install the module for free & agreed to put my current (working) part in the glovebox. Usually price to install is $134 according to my invoice. Tesla Service Advisor gave me a loaner model s because I had driven there expecting to pick up a part. The next morning my car was ready for pickup at 8:30AM & my old module was in the glovebox. I was very nervous they’d forget and chuck it in the recycling bin never to be recovered. Remember all I wanted was an additional backup unit because in the past I have had bad luck with USB ports in my cars, I am just cursed. I recently had usb ports break in my raspberry pi computer 🤷‍♂️. So yes I have an odd curse. There are worse ways to be cursed so I’m thankful.

The reason for not handing the part to me was the part is now flagged as restricted so that means it must be installed by tesla. I suspect Tesla wants to keep enough inventory to cover the number of vehicles which originally shipped with the part. Car companies need to keep 10 years of parts on hand, something like that.

I’d advise people wanting a backup unit to not try to get the part from tesla. It was a big hassle & there is no guarantee the technician will remember to leave your old part in the car as this is an unusual request. Heck, I bet soon they just refuse to sell it to people who own model year 2022+. Also any time your car is at a SC there is a chance something else gets broken. I’d suggest getting the part off eBay, junk yard or new via the usual third party parts / modification vendors.
Can you share the timeline of the events you decribe above?

I did the installation myself. It is pretty easy. Watching a youtube video and doing it yourself is usually twice as long since it looks so much easier on video but its not too bad once you get everything loose. It probably took me like 40 minutes since the first time i routed the cable, it was a bit too snug since I routed the cable incorrectly to provide little slack but once I re-routed it, it worked fine.

Yeah I too think its best to go the 3rd party route nowadays especially since in Tesla's eyes, the USB data function for the center console USB ports is suppose to be "gone".

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
Can you share the timeline of the events you decribe above?
1) Ordered usb module on 9/18/2023 via Tesla App -> Service-> Something else & typed in the part number I wanted to order and said I'd pick it up myself no install needed. Few days later the estimate arrived and was $27 US.
2) Got message on 9/28/2023 saying usb module was available for pickup and they asked if I could come ASAP. I said I'd be there the next day.
3) On 9/29/2023 went to service station to pickup the part like I did last year. Rather than go to parts desk I was asked to see Service Advisor. Service advisor went to parts desk to get the usb module. This is when I was told Tesla had to perform the install & they'd leave my old hardware in the car as requested. They told me car would be ready next day. Got message at 11:30PM saying car would be ready for pickup after 8:00AM next day.
4) 9/22/2023 Dropped off loaner Model S & Picked up car at 9:30AM .

@kpanda17 , your signature line says you have a 2023 Model Y. If your car has hardware 4 then you can't have a front center usb module (data & power) installed in the car so I've been reading. Seems the computer only has one USB data port which is used by the glovebox USB.

I just bought a new Model Y and am sure going to miss having USB or C data ports in the console. Since most of us are going to use the glovebox port for the DashCam/Sentry Mode drive, now we have no option for using a drive with music, pictures or video from on it or plugging in our phone with that data. I would have thought that Tesla would have made them all support data as well as power.

I just bought a new Model Y and am sure going to miss having USB or C data ports in the console. Since most of us are going to use the glovebox port for the DashCam/Sentry Mode drive, now we have no option for using a drive with music, pictures or video from on it or plugging in our phone with that data. I would have thought that Tesla would have made them all support data as well as power.
Tesla vehicles never detected phone devices for anything other than recharging. My 2013 Chevy Volt would recognize an iPhone and play the music off it but Apple changed things so much that the feature broke. Before 12/2021, Tesla center usb ports were data & power capable as well as glovebox. Reason for making them power only? Saving $5 per car probably...one less wire to attach in assembly process too. Tesla is all in on optimizing cost to produce & simplifying production.

The below should work for people whose cars can not be updated to have center console usb-c data modules or who want alternatives:

1) You can partition a larger sized USB-A stick or Solid State drive to have a partition for music, dashcam and lightshow data files. There are threads on here but no info in Tesla manual. Search the term "partition" and it should appear in results. Be sure to get devices rated for high heat as interior of car can reach 148F here in Los Angeles if car is parked outside all day in sun during summer. Other areas could result in higher temps.
2) Jowua has this USB hub (you can buy it without a microSD and on Amazon, cheaper shipping) which in the past they assured me works great although user manual says to not use hubs, or did in 12/2021 at least. Jowua made the claims in an old thread where I was mentioning that I swapped out my center usb power own hub for one that supports data. I might just order one of these as I'm data port crazy I guess.
3) Tesla vehicle recently started supporting wireless bluetooth game controllers. Themanual recommends a specific brand. Whatever I had, didn't work. I'm not sure if it supports one or two bluetooth controllers.

Last edited:
That is not true necessarily. There are several solutions. Its not the end of the world if you have a HW4 MY.

1. You can take the stock 128GB Tesla USB stick and create a partition for Music and place your music in there. Or you can buy a larger USB stick (ex: 512 GB) and recreate the Dashcam/Sentry folder structure for that USB and add your music.
2. You can buy one of those Glovebox USB expansion hubs like this one below and you can add multiple devices that share the glovbox USB port.

1) Ordered usb module on 9/18/2023 via Tesla App -> Service-> Something else & typed in the part number I wanted to order and said I'd pick it up myself no install needed. Few days later the estimate arrived and was $27 US.
2) Got message on 9/28/2023 saying usb module was available for pickup and they asked if I could come ASAP. I said I'd be there the next day.
3) On 9/29/2023 went to service station to pickup the part like I did last year. Rather than go to parts desk I was asked to see Service Advisor. Service advisor went to parts desk to get the usb module. This is when I was told Tesla had to perform the install & they'd leave my old hardware in the car as requested. They told me car would be ready next day. Got message at 11:30PM saying car would be ready for pickup after 8:00AM next day.
4) 9/22/2023 Dropped off loaner Model S & Picked up car at 9:30AM .

@kpanda17 , your signature line says you have a 2023 Model Y. If your car has hardware 4 then you can't have a front center usb module (data & power) installed in the car so I've been reading. Seems the computer only has one USB data port which is used by the glovebox USB.
I have a 2023 with HW3

That is not true necessarily. There are several solutions. Its not the end of the world if you have a HW4 MY.

1. You can take the stock 128GB Tesla USB stick and create a partition for Music and place your music in there. Or you can buy a larger USB stick (ex: 512 GB) and recreate the Dashcam/Sentry folder structure for that USB and add your music.
2. You can buy one of those Glovebox USB expansion hubs like this one below and you can add multiple devices that share the glovbox USB port.
if you have HW4, don't use a USB hub in the glovebox, it will mess with your GPS and possibly damage your MCU. Ask me how I know :) several others on here experienced the same thing.

if you have HW4, don't use a USB hub in the glovebox, it will mess with your GPS and possibly damage your MCU. Ask me how I know :) several others on here experienced the same thing.
How does it mess with your GPS? I would just figure the worst case is that you might have performance issues since it doesn't have enough bandwidth to run the dashcam/sentry and using it for video game controllers. I mean a USB 2.0 port can only provide so much bandwidth and power and doesn't have authority to draw more power outside of the USB spec.

I guess the guy can still create a folder on the USB drive for the dashcam/sentry and music.

Last edited:
How does it mess with your GPS? I would just figure the worst case is that you might have performance issues since it doesn't have enough bandwidth to run the dashcam/sentry and using it for video game controllers

I cant answer that, because I have no idea. What I CAN tell you however, is that it was common enough for people to have a full USB sentry drive start to cause main screen reboots / black screens etc, that when someone reported anything at all with "My screen is doing XXXX on a model 3 or Y, the first thing any veteran of these forums would recommend was "did you try taking out / Re formatting your sentry drive?

I am guessing they do something strange with partitions, etc as it relates to how the car OS sees it, but I dont work there, and I am not interested in digging into it.

I also doubt its "all" hubs, even if there is a problem. It probably depends on the hub, its power draw, what you have plugged into it, etc etc. Tesla itself though, would make a blanket statement of " dont use a hub " because its simpler from a support perspective, and otherwise they are then making recommendations for some third party hubs and not others.

I guess the guy can still create a folder on the USB drive for the dashcam/sentry and music.
And doing that reduces the Dashcam/sentry storage. So them my only other option is buying a larger drive. It wouldn't have cost Tesla much to make all the ports data and power, which ultimately would cost them nothing when they raise the car prices by what...$10. We pay a premium price for their cars and should have premium features.