Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to use USB-C in Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What am I missing?

To me, it sounds like what you are missing is the fact that the only USB port in a new model Y that supports data is the one in the glove compartment. ALL the other USB ports are power only (including the ones in the console), from the factory, in a model Y newer than late 2021 model year.

If you are using the one in the glove compartment (meaning you either removed the Tesla provided tesla cam USB drive, or bought a USB hub), the folder structure is very specific on the name of the folder.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod and fsb1
If your USB drive also has the TeslaCam folder the music folder will not work. You shoud create four partitions, all formatted as exFat. The partition names do not matter, but let’s call them Senrty, music, lightshow and boombox.

In the one called Sentry create a folder called Teslacam
In the one called music you can create any structure you wish
In the one called Boombox create a folder called boombox
And in the one called LIghtshow create a folder called lightshow

The boombox and lightshow partitions can be very small, 1 GB will be plenty

Once completed connect to the USB drive to the port in the glove box, this is a USB-A port.

According to the Model Y manual the USB-C ports support data.

From the manual (of course this could be wrong, but first try the USB port in the glove box to verify the USB is correctly configured):

Model Y has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console. These ports can be used to:

• Connect and charge USB devices.
  • Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices).
  • Save videos when using features such as Sentry Mode or Dashcam (see Dashcam and Sentry Mode).
    Note
    If your Model Y is equipped with a USB port located in the glove box (described below), it is recommended that you use the glovebox USB to save Sentry Mode or Dashcam videos because power consumption is minimized and the location is more secure.

Reactions: Kupe
ALL the other USB ports are power only (including the ones in the console), from the factory, in a model Y newer than late 2021 model year.

Is this confirmed on newer Model Ys? The manual states:
Model Y has two USB ports located in the front compartment of the center console. These ports can be used to:

Connect and charge USB devices.
Play audio files stored on a phone or USB device (see Playing Media from Devices).
Save videos when using features such as Sentry Mode or Dashcam (see Dashcam and Sentry Mode).

On that same page, a few paragraphs later, it also says:

Note
For some vehicles manufactured after approximately November 1, 2021, the center console USB ports may only support charging devices. Use the USB port inside the glove box for all other functions.

for the Lightshow folder, can you now have multiple files or just one at a time?

I do not have have lighshow in my current car. In readings, people create different folders for each lightshow they have. Then, when they want to use a particular show they copy the contents of the show into the folder named lightshow. You cannot do this in the car, however.

If I misstated this I am sure others will correct me.

Someone else already replied, but as stated, on the same page it says "vehicles after X MAY not have". I dont work for Tesla or anything, but I have yet to hear or read about a single case of a car made after the time frame specified having USB data available in the console direct from Tesla.

Used vehicles, the previous owner may have DIYed a data module. New ones, havent heard of it. Its a shame, really, because no one needs that many USB charging ports in a car that dont have data in them, but here we are.

I installed the USB data module replacement for the center console USB and it is fairly easy. It took me maybe 30 minutes to install while watching a tutorial video.
I did the same. Worked great for past year until last week when my car got firmware 2023.32.4. Now the usb-c ports do not handle data unless I reboot the computer. Data works until car sleeps again. Then I need to reboot. Anyone else experiencing that? I'm using the T-Parts data module but I have OEM Tesla which I might install tomorrow.

I did the same. Worked great for past year until last week when my car got firmware 2023.32.4. Now the usb-c ports do not handle data unless I reboot the computer. Data works until car sleeps again. Then I need to reboot. Anyone else experiencing that? I'm using the T-Parts data module but I have OEM Tesla which I might install tomorrow.
Are you still getting USB charging with the T-parts data module at least?

Yes, power / charging was not affected. I tried data again a few times, no luck unless I rebooted. I swapped in OEM tesla data module and it has been working fine 🤷‍♂️.
Here is another vendor for things like this:

They also have lots of stuff.

Here is another vendor for things like this:

They also have lots of stuff.
Tesla RPM’s price of $148 USD is too expensive. In 2022 the TParts module cost me $90. Abstract ocean has it for $80 right now. In USA I bought a backup module (which I installed yesterday) from Tesla for $40 a year ago. Let’s assume RPM tesla were the only option. considering we can now pair game controllers via Bluetooth, I’d just buy a larger usb-a device for the glovebox and add a partition for music and one for tesla dashcam Or look in to a bridge for glovebox which had a built in microSD and extra usb ports. Although manual says not to use them, people have long said they work fine.

Tesla RPM’s price of $148 USD is too expensive. In 2022 the TParts module cost me $90. Abstract ocean has it for $80 right now. In USA I bought a backup module (which I installed yesterday) from Tesla for $40 a year ago. Let’s assume RPM tesla were the only option. considering we can now pair game controllers via Bluetooth, I’d just buy a larger usb-a device for the glovebox and add a partition for music and one for tesla dashcam Or look in to a bridge for glovebox which had a built in microSD and extra usb ports. Although manual says not to use them, people have long said they work fine.
Not sure what you are looking at. The link I provides has a price of $79, unless you are talking about something else.

I installed the 2023.32.6 update tonight and tested the front console USB ports and they work just fine for data and was able to play music on my USB stick. I have the T-parts data module and I didn't need to do any reboot. You might want to check your T-parts data module again or keep using the stock Tesla data module.

Last edited: