Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How's your AC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, for one, would welcome the decoupling of climate control from the P85D's Range Mode adjustments to the drivetrain algorithms. I'd prefer leaving the latter engaged nearly all the time, but often want more aggressive A/C during warmer weather.
I completely agree. It's gonna suck in about a week when I'm driving around California deciding whether I value torque sleep or effective AC more.

I, for one, would welcome the decoupling of climate control from the P85D's Range Mode adjustments to the drivetrain algorithms. I'd prefer leaving the latter engaged nearly all the time, but often want more aggressive A/C during warmer weather.

I completely agree. It's gonna suck in about a week when I'm driving around California deciding whether I value torque sleep or effective AC more.

I've been reading through this thread, planning on saying this since reading the first post. And then the last two posts hit the nail on the head!

The work-around I've found, that helps some, but not enough, is to turn range mode off when parking at home, and then to super-cool the car on shore power before leaving. I can then enable range mode when I start to drive, to get the benefits of torque sleep, and usually the cooling is just passable enough that I won't turn range mode off. But keeping torque sleep connected to range mode is crazy. There's no reason the two should be tied together. There is a similar issue in the winter, when I want the benefits of pack heating on shore power that I can't get if range mode is on, so we're always turning range mode off when parking at home in the winter as well, and then on when we start to drive. The problem with turning it on when we start to drive in the winter is that we won't gain full regen as soon as we would if range mode was off, and the pack could continue to be heated.

I want the torque sleep efficiencies without having to always also have the negatives that come along with range mode.

When wouldn't we want our cars to maximize efficiency and torque sleep when possible? Torque sleep has been sold as having no negatives, so just give it to us whenever it's available, and cut the ties to range mode.

I'd be happy if Range Mode simply didn't limit the fan speed to 8. I often find the compressor capacity adequate, but just can't get enough air flow. Surely there can't be much in the way of energy savings between a simple fan motor blowing at 8 vs. 11. I think the big savings are in throttling the compressor.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I was thinking more in terms of a control to adjust air volume without re-directing it, like what I was accustomed to in my Benz.

I discovered it the hard way during my first winter. Because the Model S doesn't have side window defroster vents like most cars, I would direct the left dash vent over towards the side glass to help cut down on fogging. Problem is, when you turn the vent all the way to the left, it closes the damper! I agree. I like the separate air volume control too.

I always, always keep the car in Range mode, so I can only run the AC fan up to 8.

I treat my Tesla's AC very simply: binary. LO or HI. There is nothing in-between. And I almost always use recirc.

If it's hot in the car, I turn it on full (8) and always have temp set to LO. In winter when it's cold, I turn the fan to 8 and set the temp to HI. There is only LO and HI :)

When the temp inside car reaches a comfortable range, I begin lowering the fan speed. Eventually to 1 or 2. That's it.

Oh, and occasionally, I open several windows all the way for about 5 seconds, to "purge" the recirc'd air, and then start over.

We drove around here on freeway yesterday a lot around IL/Chicago/Burbs and it seems like the system needs some type of calibration or change in software to decide out aggressive it is. It was a nice 67-68F outside but cabin would get stuffy/warm in the sunny driving. The AC was cold but didn't blow enough on auto by itself - would have to turn down the temp low and the manually turn fans up, but it was never like any previous car we've had as far as being able to auto cool correctly. This is a bit disappointing right now but I do hope they perform a software update to really lean towards correcting the cabin temperature (and maybe factor in less sun/outside temp into the equation). If not then will have to result to the pure, "This HVAC system stinks" level too...

I have a Model S, and a Rav 4 EV (with the Tesla drive train). The AC in the Rav will blow extremely cold and will almost instantly cool the larger cabin of the Rav no matter how warm it is outside. I can't say that about the Model S. I almost never use the pre-cool function on the Rav, but I do with the Tesla because it takes so much longer to cool the cabin down.

Toyota did a great job with the AC, and it should be used as a standard to compare against. I'm mildly disappointed with the AC in the Tesla.

I'm just OK with the Model S AC. I usually try to minimize my AC usage anyway. My wife, on the other hand, is not impressed. She likes cold air blowing on her when it's hot and she is not able to get enough air volume on her to get comfortable (the car is not set to range mode). We don't even live in a hot climate anymore.

I'm hoping the Model X improves on the AC or it may be a deal-breaker since the X would be my wife's car.

I have a Model S, and a Rav 4 EV (with the Tesla drive train). The AC in the Rav will blow extremely cold and will almost instantly cool the larger cabin of the Rav no matter how warm it is outside. I can't say that about the Model S. I almost never use the pre-cool function on the Rav, but I do with the Tesla because it takes so much longer to cool the cabin down.

Toyota did a great job with the AC, and it should be used as a standard to compare against. I'm mildly disappointed with the AC in the Tesla.

I have to agree that the Toyota AC system is great. My 4Runner can be sun-soaked and still it's cool within a few minutes - and I don't have any non-factory tinting on it! The Lexus IS does a great job in the Miami heat. In neither vehicle do I need to tweak the settings while out an about. I set to 72-74 depending on the day and I'm good. The Tesla I fiddle with more, but still stick to 67-69 on the dial.

I'm just OK with the Model S AC. I usually try to minimize my AC usage anyway. My wife, on the other hand, is not impressed. She likes cold air blowing on her when it's hot and she is not able to get enough air volume on her to get comfortable (the car is not set to range mode). We don't even live in a hot climate anymore.

I'm hoping the Model X improves on the AC or it may be a deal-breaker since the X would be my wife's car.

Tell her to try putting the air flow on "recirc" rather than "fresh in". That keeps even Borealis (qv my avatar) cold when it's 109º in Arizona.

I sure would like to hear an explanation from the Tesla Engineer in charge of programming the Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) about this operation (or have him/her live with it in a HOT climate):

Sun soaked BLACK Model S with BLACK interior in South Louisiana in the summer. Interior temperature is 125 degrees (as reported by the Tesla App). ATC is set at 65 degrees full Auto.

Fan speed never goes over 2 out of 4 on the little fan graphic, air just wafts gently/lazily out of the registers as if the temperature in the car is 72 and it's trying to achieve 70. The only way to make it blow decent volume of COLD air is to go to LO setting on the temp setting. No, I am NOT in Range Mode.

My original Model S would have blown most aggressive for at least 10 minutes into the ride set at 67 degrees under the same conditions.

I suspect they have done this to make the whole system quieter. My first Model S was much louder on the exterior while the A/C was working hard. I'll take noisy with better cooling any day over what I have now. They might as well get rid of the ATC function and just make it a manual A/C.

When wouldn't we want our cars to maximize efficiency and torque sleep when possible? Torque sleep has been sold as having no negatives, so just give it to us whenever it's available, and cut the ties to range mode.
Track, autocross, or when there are bugs/flaws with torque sleep.

I'd like to continue to have a knob to turn off torque sleep, but I'd be fine with it being like traction control and emergency braking -- resets itself back for each new driving session.

- - - Updated - - -

Just another data point from a recent comparison...

My P85D has definitely weaker ("oomph") A/C -- even in non-range mode -- in 70+F weather than my P85Sig's A/C even in 75+F weather. Setting the P85D's climate control to about 5 degrees cooler mitigates the comfort consequences, but still has a weaker cold output.

Track, autocross, or when there are bugs/flaws with torque sleep.

I'll buy the "when there are bugs/flaws", but I'm not sure I understand the track and autocross situations. My understanding of torque sleep is that it would never kick in under those kinds of driving conditions, where both motors were being utilized extensively while the car was being driven aggressively.

And note that you're not able to turn torque sleep off completely now. The most recent information we have from a message from Jerome Guillen was that torque sleep worked to some extent with range mode off, and that it worked even better with range mode on. I'll try to find the exact quote, and edit this post with it if I do.

Edit: I found this post, that includes the quote from Jerome Guillen: Firmware 6.1 - Page 109

Last edited:
The only reason I do is to keep the "jet aircraft on takeoff" sound down to a dull roar. I find I get enough cooling capacity most of the time, just not enough cabin air fan speed (limited to 8).

Did you get the "fix"? I haven't heard it since they installed the sound deadening cover. Then again, I didn't hear it often before.