Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HP for AWD vs P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t trust HP numbers from Tesla ..I was one of the guys who bought a “691hp” P85D :(:eek: early on ...

I agree. The "motor power" thing, which terms Elon did use in "The Announcement", has been a sore spot that bears revisiting. The P85D shares hardware with P100D, but because of battery amp output limits of ~1300 was closer to a (still massive) 500hp. The new fuse achieved higher limits, which were then exceeded again as battery size increased. I am not sure, but believe somewhere in there the PXXD became a "motor limited" rather than "battery limited" car. M3P, per Ingeneer's video has a 1,200 amp limit. Add lighter weight, and that's good potential, but also a smaller battery.

RE: 1/4 mile trap speeds. One thing blurring the HP max is how low, in speed, it happens in the single-gear car. Here, too, the PD Model S cars peaked out at around 40mph. As already noted, it may be that this lower peak is software blunted for non-M3P. Regardless, the HP at high trap speed being so far away from the peak HP at ~35-45mph, of a single geared vehicle, would not necessarily suggest the peaks would be near equal.

Top end has always been a big deal for single-geared EVs. I'm not here to push competitors, but Rimac and I am betting Taycan are 2-geared in order to perform better at illegal US speeds; better roll-on, highway passing, etc. Tesla has gotten around single gear limits, to an extent, by using massive batteries. Just as the top end of the 85 was always better than the 60 (RWD), the fall from the brutal torque/HP spike of P85D was a bit faster than later versions (once you get past 50-60mph).

Since I'm spilling my own views (not necessarily correct ones?), I would add power decline as SOC drops also showed different dynamics in higher amped PDs. My M3P test drive was with 120 miles of range left. Stepping out of the P85D, I wasn't impressed but knew that like my car, the M3P probably suffers from performance decline as SOC drops. People criticize EVs for this unevenness. Big batteries mostly take care of it for Tesla (closing in on the fuse limits, for longer durations), but the two relatives of at-what-speed the HP peak is happening, and rate overall battery output (and thus, KW or HP) declines, should be important for anyone looking to get their head around BEV performance.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Big batteries mostly take care of it for Tesla (closing in on the fuse limits, for longer durations), but the two relatives of at-what-speed the HP peak is happening, and rate overall battery output (and thus, KW or HP) declines, should be important for anyone looking to get their head around BEV performance.
I agree. It’s frustrating that the car mags don’t seem to have any concept of how to characterize EV performance. I want passing times (30-50, 50-70mph) at 33%, 66% and full SOC.

I agree. It’s frustrating that the car mags don’t seem to have any concept of how to characterize EV performance. I want passing times (30-50, 50-70mph) at 33%, 66% and full SOC.

I'd love to see mags focus on these passing speed times in addition to the 0-60. EVs are much faster in real world driving situations... Not high RPM drop the clutch 0-60 runs driven by profession drivers.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Can't you just look at power at each of those speeds? The dynos have that. I have that in the performance metrics for the Model 3 RWD before Tesla turned off the API. I have it for all the S and X models.

Tesla Model 3 - Wikipedia

Wiki says, but without a source:

Front HP: 197
Rear HP: 252
Total HP: 346
Total TQ: 389

But they dont list a single source on where they got those numbers from. The only reputable source I have found are the EPA numbers: Compare Side-by-Side But those dont give us overall HP and torque.

It's maddening that no one seems to know what theses cars put out. And it also appears to be impossible to find solid dyno videos for the AWD model.

But they dont list a single source on where they got those numbers from. The only reputable source I have found are the EPA numbers: Compare Side-by-Side But those dont give us overall HP and torque.

It's maddening that no one seems to know what theses cars put out. And it also appears to be impossible to find solid dyno videos for the AWD model.
What do you mean. The EPA does list power for each motor, as KW. Easily converted to HP. When you do this the AWD converts to 450 and the PAWD 481. That's why I started this thread. And we still have no good data other than these EPA numbers.

If anyone cares, a RWD Model 3 (SOC under 100%, maybe 70%?) put down 310 whp, 325 lbs-ft on a Dynojet in August (Long Island, NY).

Wikipedia says it is rated at 271 bhp, 307 lbs-ft at the rear motor. Since a dyno should show lower numbers, either Tesla is low-balling us or Wiki is really off.

This is the best dyno video I have found for the RWD model, as it also shows the drops that occur as the battery level goes down. Just wish I could find one for the PAWD and AWD models.

YzwChjM.jpg

No, I don’t care about kW output, just the results. I want to know how long it takes to accel from 50 to 70 when I mat the pedal in one car verses another.

I achieved 1.71s 50 to 70 per dragy. It's hard to get it right at 50 on the car and 50 on the dragy, so who knows how accurate that is.

This is the best dyno video I have found for the RWD model, as it also shows the drops that occur as the battery level goes down. Just wish I could find one for the PAWD and AWD models.

My car is at the SC right now, but when I get it back I'll consider taking it to the only local AWD dyno. It's a Dyno Dynamics though, so we'll have to take it for what it is (I've been told they read high).

Would be nice to get an AWD on the same dyno, but I don't know that I'll find an owner who wants to pony up the $250, considering I barely want to...

I achieved 1.71s 50 to 70 per dragy. It's hard to get it right at 50 on the car and 50 on the dragy, so who knows how accurate that is.

My car is at the SC right now, but when I get it back I'll consider taking it to the only local AWD dyno. It's a Dyno Dynamics though, so we'll have to take it for what it is (I've been told they read high).

Would be nice to get an AWD on the same dyno, but I don't know that I'll find an owner who wants to pony up the $250, considering I barely want to...
Just dropped off mine at the SC too. They're together. Haha. Not going to spend $250 to dyno it though.

There is a place near my child’s school that has an AWD dyno. They haven’t done a Tesla before.

Reactions: untilcomplete