Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC Installation Cost in North NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ckwong

Mar 15, 2017
NJ
Hello all TMC members!

First post and very excited about to take the plunge on a MX 100D. Just wanted to know the average price for this install along with NEMA 14-50 as a back-up. I have 2 Tesla recommended electricians coming Friday for quotes so just want to have an idea on pricing. I have a 200A Panel and it's located in the garage and the wall charger will be next to it. Thank you in advance!

I paid $750 for a NEMA 14-50 however my required work was a bit different. I had to install a 50amp sub-panel and move some circuits over to the new sub-panel to make room in the main panel. Costs do not include the city permit.

The Tesla recommended electrician wanted $1,500 to wire for a HPWC (plus the cost of the wall connector) which I opted against.

Just for reference I know we are a long ways away:
$450 to put a 50Amp circuit in and install a 14-50 plug 4 feet from the panel in the garage.
Mr. Sparky electrician, they are a chain and have pretty set prices.
They also did a whole house analysis and calculated my load in case I wanted to try and go higher for a HPWC.

depends on the distance from the garage to the electrical panel. I was referred an electrician from my DS at Paramus Tesla and he is quoting me a much higher price for a 14-50 outlet because of the distance and more work needed. also buy a HPWC on ebay- there are several dealers that will save you 20-30% list price.

depends on the distance from the garage to the electrical panel. I was referred an electrician from my DS at Paramus Tesla and he is quoting me a much higher price for a 14-50 outlet because of the distance and more work needed. also buy a HPWC on ebay- there are several dealers that will save you 20-30% list price.

My electrical panel is inside my garage on an exterior wall and the wall charger will be next to it so I can't see how much wire he would have to run but thanks on the eBay advice! I will check it out.

My electrical panel is inside my garage on an exterior wall and the wall charger will be next to it so I can't see how much wire he would have to run but thanks on the eBay advice! I will check it out.
no worries. I bought a HPWC and will soon be installing it. I think the outlet should be a lot cheaper given the proximity to panel. PM me if you want my electrician info.

If the location of the wall charger is right next to the panel as you state, then why CAN"T you see how much wire he would have to run?

Reporting back on quotes I received from 2 Tesla recommended electricians.
In-Line Electrical Corp: Just asked for pictures of the panel and quoted me $1,100 for HPWC on a 70A breaker plus permit fees.
Gladiator Electric LLC: Came to the house to look at the panel and recommended that I only install the HPWC with 60A breaker so I can get the full 48A charge to the MX. If I were to install the NEMA 14-50 it would have to be shared with the HPWC and it will be 50A breaker due what I already have on my panel. Another option would be a 220V outlet as a back-up instead of the NEMA, $150 for that. Quote for HPWC is $750 plus permit fees. Hope this helps any future Tesla owners in the area.

Mike from Gladiator gave me another option to install the HPWC and NEMA on a 60A breaker so I can use the NEMA if something were to happen to the HPWC. He can install an interlock system that will allow me to switch from the wall connector to the NEMA outlet safely without over loading the panel for an additional $200.

Hey Dr Doom, just wanted to say Thanks on the eBay advice! Saved myself 25% on the HPWC and already received it. :)

I've posted this before, but I'm continually shocked at what some electricians charge - especially when they know it's for a Tesla.

The cable (6ga Copper) is $1.50-3.00/ft. The other materials will run $15/breaker, $15/outlet, $4/outlet box, plus staples to secure the wire.

I put two plugs in my garage (75ft from my panels) and it cost $500 and took 3 hrs.

If you have a straight forward install, i.e. Unfinished basement or <20 ft in a garage, it should be reasonable. For any quote, ask for their labor rate and a breakdown of costs. Call them out if their numbers don't make sense.

I've posted this before, but I'm continually shocked at what some electricians charge - especially when they know it's for a Tesla.

The cable (6ga Copper) is $1.50-3.00/ft. The other materials will run $15/breaker, $15/outlet, $4/outlet box, plus staples to secure the wire.

Installing a dryer outlet and installing a HPWC are two entirely different kettles of fish. For the HPWC at 72A or 80A, you'll need a $50 breaker and cable in conduit, because:
  • At 90A (72A plus the "continuous load" bump) you need #4 copper or #2 aluminum (assuming 90C terminations everywhere)
  • #2 aluminum won't make the bends inside the HPWC enclosure nor fit into the HPWC's terminals properly
  • You can't use any kind of large multiconductor cable except type SER inside a home, and copper SER is not available in 2-conductor #4 -- you'll have to use 4-4-4-6 which means you're paying for quite a bit of extra copper. Conduit is likely to be cheaper.
  • At 100A (for an 80A HPWC, if you want to be able to charge older cars full-rate) all this is worse.
You're probably looking at something like $250 of materials depending on the length of the run -- unless it's truly short and you can nipple into the panel, or use a very short piece of flexible conduit (liquidtite).

All that said, I did my 80A HPWC install myself, about 50' from the panel with PVC conduit (not allowed in all locations) and #3 XHHW copper wire. The most irritating part of the job was enlarging the hole on the HPWC to accept the PVC conduit fitting. Materials were a few hundred bucks and the job took me an afternoon -- a good electrician would have been faster than me. I would have expected to be charged $800-$1000 for the job. $1500 is out of line unless you're in a union building in a big city.

• Informative
Reactions: jaguar36 and ckwong