Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC LED Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently had my HWPC installed. Realized my electrician made a mistake and left the DIP switches in "test mode" so I shut off the breaker and changed them to be in 80A output. When opening the HPWC cover, I accidentally broke the LED cable off of the motherboard and now it is inoperable. The HPWC works fine however. As long as it is working, do you all think its safe to continue using or do I need to go back and buy a new HPWC? Since the LEDs are used for diagnosing errors in charging I feel like I am fine.

First there is no 80 amp mode. There is a 72amp mode to be used on a 100amp circuit with 2-2-2 copper wire. You should be able to send the HPWC in for repair. It shouldn't cost over '$100 to fix as the HPWC is $750 unless you are a member of a state club.

Do you have a 14-50 outlet you can use in the meantime?

First there is no 80 amp mode. There is a 72amp mode to be used on a 100amp circuit with 2-2-2 copper wire. You should be able to send the HPWC in for repair. It shouldn't cost over '$100 to fix as the HPWC is $750 unless you are a member of a state club.

Agree on getting it repaired.

Not heard that HWPCs are now limited to 72amps. ModelX vehicle is limited to 72Amp draw maximally, Model S 80Amp (when using dual chargers).
My best info is my own manual and page 12 from: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_hpwc_installation_guide.pdf

The S charges at 80A with dual chargers. Do not have a 14-50 outlet

Agree on getting it repaired.

If its working properly, why do you believe it should be repaired?

My HPWC (which came with the car) is configured for 80 amps on a 100 amp circuit and delivers 80 amps to the car. I think there are different versions of the HPWC out there---Maybe Canadian models with different settings with 72 amps as a limit per building codes?

Darryl, there are several things in play here. First, the wall connector will advertise 80A to any electric vehicle plugged into it when configured for a 100A circuit, regardless of Model S or Model X. A Model S configured with dual chargers can use the full 80A offered, while Model X configured with a 72A charger will obviously use up to 72A. This is why it can be confusing when you talk about its use on Model S vs. Model X - the charging equipment can do 80A but the car can't so it limits to 72A.

Also, in the US, you may not use 2-2-2-4 NM cable at all for the 100A setting, and you may not use 2-2-2-4 SER cable if at any point it passes through or in thermal insulation... just a quick note for those there; Canada allows for the use of NMD90, I believe.

The front LED panel has no control logic and therefore, unless you *need* the lights on the front panel, it doesn't harm the HPWC to operate it without the front panel LED's. You may want to call Tesla to see if they can send you a new faceplate, but it won't harm operation in the meantime.

Do you have a code section for this? As far as I can tell it only requires derating to 60C column. 338.10 (B)(4)(a)

Here is my whole quote:

FlasherZ said:
Also, in the US, you may not use 2-2-2-4 NM cable at all for the 100A setting, and you may not use 2-2-2-4 SER cable if at any point it passes through or in thermal insulation...

I structured the sentence oddly, causing confusion - I meant that for the 100A setting 2-2-2-4 couldn't be used if it passes through or in thermal insulation. It could be used at any setting less than 100A circuit rating on the HPWC, just can't be used for the 100A setting. My apologies.

Here is my whole quote:

I structured the sentence oddly, causing confusion - I meant that for the 100A setting 2-2-2-4 couldn't be used if it passes through or in thermal insulation. It could be used at any setting less than 100A circuit rating on the HPWC, just can't be used for the 100A setting. My apologies.

Yeah I just realized that a minute before your reply... thanks.