Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I'm working my way through the reservation list, I've got two or three prototypes that I can lend out to people on a temporary basis if it helps your holiday travel plans. You would have to return it when you're back home, until your number comes up for a permanent one. The prototypes have the latest mods to make them work on almost all Model S chargers (95+%) but I can't sell them for permanent use.

HCSharp are you able to give us any feel on how many orders you have and how many you can ship a month? Are you likely able to meet the open orders in 2 months or two years? While doing my best to be patient I also REALLY want one ;).

I'm hoping 2 months. It takes a lot of time to assemble each one and I'm not rushing because I want to be sure I get them done right. A few people have put their Roadsters up for the winter so they're moving to the end of the list. That will help those who drive year round like you. If you need to borrow one for a trip let me know. You won't be the first and you won't be putting me out because I consider it a benefit that comes with buying one.

The reports coming in are good. Most of the bad chargers are UMCs in people's own garage. Santana Row apparently has a non-compatible HPWC but I also heard the same unit was starting to have occasional problems with Model Ses so maybe it will get replaced.

Henry, if you run short on loaners over the holidays, I'm willing to loan mine out (especially if it's someone out on the West coast) -- I don't have any travel plans over the next month. Just let me know.

That's super nice of you Bonnie. This also is a great idea in gettinga wider test coverage of Roadster version and wider range of chargers as well. Before loaning one out, I'd ask the person who's using it to please take note of what type of charger they're using (HPWC or mobile), the location, and any other details about the charger as well as version Roadster you have (1.5, 2.0, or 2.5). Then email the stats/details to Henry. I think he'll find that beneficial information.

That's super nice of you Bonnie. This also is a great idea in gettinga wider test coverage of Roadster version and wider range of chargers as well. Before loaning one out, I'd ask the person who's using it to please take note of what type of charger they're using (HPWC or mobile), the location, and any other details about the charger as well as version Roadster you have (1.5, 2.0, or 2.5). Then email the stats/details to Henry. I think he'll find that beneficial information.

Yep. As part of troubleshooting, I was also capturing video for Henry so he could see the behavior at specific HPWCs (and there was some strange stuff), including recovery modes. Truly, if anyone wants to borrow my adapter, just pm and we'll take it from there.

Got mine earlier this week - thanks Henry! Tested it out in Burlingame at 70A - had one fault, reset and charged fine for awhile. I didn't have time for a full charge but got about 10 miles.

hpwc charging (2).jpg

OK, but isn't the Model S connector in Norway different from the US version? I also made a Roadster adapter for UK and EU owners but I can only send it to certain countries. Can't remember if Norway is one of them.

Yes it's the mennekes type 2 :) Norway could not be one of them because everyone here makes their own adapters for charging with model S and other EV's ;)

- - - Updated - - -

But the real challange here Henry is to get the adapter to fuse the 3 phases to 1 with higher A :tongue:

What do you mean "reset"

Got mine earlier this week - thanks Henry! Tested it out in Burlingame at 70A - had one fault, reset and charged fine for awhile. I didn't have time for a full charge but got about 10 miles.

View attachment 64255

I tested my adapter at the Torrance service center and got the same error message using both of their HPC's. Is there "reset" I could have performed?

Back when Henry was troubleshooting some of the early problems, one of the reset methodologies was to keep the ring pushed forward while plugging the S charging cable into the adapter and then releasing the ring into position. I had success with that - even when the adapter had not originally worked with an HPWC, it did when I used that method.

I tested my adapter at the Torrance service center and got the same error message using both of their HPC's. Is there "reset" I could have performed?

That must have been with the first adapter I sent you. Have you tried it with the replacement I sent recently? Statistically it would be extremely unusual for it to give an error message with two chargers in a row (with the newest version).