Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HPWC / UMC2 to Roadster adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But I want to offer a cheap or no-cost upgrade path if I find a better solution. As long as they understand there may never be an upgrade. And I would offer a 30-day 100% return policy, no handling fee, if it doesn't work on your primary charger(s). It would have to be returned in like-new condition so I could clean it, test it, and re-sell it to another customer.

Henry, I think you nailed it with the above:

- Full disclosure that this may not work with all HPWC's, but is estimated to work with 95% of existing HPWC's.
- There may or may not be a future upgrade for improved compatibility. If an upgrade is available, every attempt will be made to make this a free or low cost upgrade.
- 30 day return policy is a great idea for testing with the primary EVSE.

..and don't forget, I prepaid, too! :wink:

Looks like you have the full support of the Roadster community for your invaluable work! I wish Tesla made this adapter, but it's great they were so willing to work with you on the research and development.

We cannot thank you enough.

And I would offer a 30-day 100% return policy, no handling fee, if it doesn't work on your primary charger(s). It would have to be returned in like-new condition so I could clean it, test it, and re-sell it to another customer.

Maybe the way to fund this would simply be to increase the price of the charger a little bit for everyone that way you don't end up losing money due to returns. I think this makes a good trade off vs. a handling fee, since the handling fee is simply a matter of luck (making the price increase kinda like insurance).

Then again, I haven't read this whole thread, and maybe the price is already set in stone.

Maybe the way to fund this would simply be to increase the price of the charger a little bit for everyone that way you don't end up losing money due to returns. I think this makes a good trade off vs. a handling fee, since the handling fee is simply a matter of luck (making the price increase kinda like insurance).

Then again, I haven't read this whole thread, and maybe the price is already set in stone.

I agree. It's not fair to someone who happens to have a charger that doesn't work. That said, I don't expect many returns. Tech support emails/calls will be more time consuming. "Dear Henry, It's not working. How do I determine if it's my charger, your adapter, the power at my house (it works everywhere else), or the phase of the moon?" The development costs have added up to the point where I'm not likely to ever make money on this. Of course the more I sell, the less I'll lose. Fortunately it's fun doing it!:smile:

Henry, well done! I'm going to bump your 95% estimate just a tad. Your adapter worked with two different Model S UMC's on my 14-50 outlet at home @ 40 amps. The one UMC came with the Model S that was originally purchased in 5/2013 and the second was a UMC I bought in 6/2014. It also worked successfully with the HPWC at the Tesla retail store in Scottsdale, AZ @ 70 amps.

The adapter is very nicely designed and high quality. Great work! Thank you.

IMG_6797.jpg

IMG_6799.jpg

IMG_6800.jpg

and notice the unused Roadster HPC on the other side while I happily charge at the Model S HPWC :)

IMG_6801.jpg

Last edited:
Henry, well done! I'm going to bump your 95% estimate just a tad. Your adapter worked with two different Model S UMC's on my 14-50 outlet at home @ 40 amps. The one UMC came with the car Model S that was originally purchased in 5/2013 and the second was a UMC a bought in 6/2014. It also worked successfully with the HPWC at the Tesla retail store in Scottsdale, AZ @ 70 amps.

Nice to see that it is compatible with OVMS as well :biggrin:

Henry, well done! I'm going to bump your 95% estimate just a tad. Your adapter worked with two different Model S UMC's on my 14-50 outlet at home @ 40 amps. The one UMC came with the Model S that was originally purchased in 5/2013 and the second was a UMC I bought in 6/2014. It also worked successfully with the HPWC at the Tesla retail store in Scottsdale, AZ @ 70 amps.

Pretty darn exciting, isn't it? A whole new charging world opens up with this adapter.

Just a couple more pics of the adapter in action at home with the Model S UMC. Mark, the associated OVMS pic read 242V @ 40 amps. Still compatible with OVMS, of course. :)

Henry and Mark, your diligence on separate projects has kept the Roadster up to date and so much more useful. All that's left for you guys is to bring Supercharging to the 400 mile battery! ;) Kidding, of course. LOL.

409F8C5D-C5E2-4F99-8659-520537BF7105.jpg

2FD15E0D-CA44-4390-A2B8-8D74BDD55471.jpg

Just a note to update the community.

My car #992 was a problem child with the original adapter. It wanted to turn off and kick out high volumes of error messages at 40 amps on Model S UMC. Henry tweaked something and a new version of the adapter has preformed admirably. Still playing with upper limits of charging but Kathy's Model S UMC on 40 amps works like a charm!!!
Thank You Henry for your commitment to this project and attention to detail.

Nice Pics Shrink!

Last edited:
Henry, don't forget I'm on the list too! Excitedly waiting and I too am OK with a 95% success-rate, don't have a MS charger at home though so I'd be finding those 5% out in the wild! I would be utilizing it for road-trips though, so the risk that it doesn't work somewhere is very relevant to me, but still 95% is pretty darn good!

I don't know what people would think about this idea. Perhaps if Henry is going to continue to work on this and other potential Roadster projects, perhaps we can have a small research fund? People could donate whatever they like. $1.00, $5.00, $25.00 and this will help fund some of Henry's work. Henry what do you think and what do other TMC members think?

I don't know what people would think about this idea. Perhaps if Henry is going to continue to work on this and other potential Roadster projects, perhaps we can have a small research fund? People could donate whatever they like. $1.00, $5.00, $25.00 and this will help fund some of Henry's work. Henry what do you think and what do other TMC members think?

Tesla Crowd Funding!

Hear, hear!!!

I guess it's time to quit my day job.:smile:

I'm in.

Considering all Henry has done, we're in also!