Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD coming, but only for S/X first? Model 3 type interior in all? (Rumor)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHOA, I'd sleep a lot easier if I knew that I could retroactively go in and get a HUD upgrade on my Model 3, the lack of anything (whether it's HUD, a binnacle, etc in front of the driver) has been one of the biggest gripes across all the forums. I'd hate to pick up my delivery in January and then hear if I waited until March I'd get a HUD - and there's no way to retro fit it.

Reactions: alseTrick
WHOA, I'd sleep a lot easier if I knew that I could retroactively go in and get a HUD upgrade on my Model 3, the lack of anything (whether it's HUD, a binnacle, etc in front of the driver) has been one of the biggest gripes across all the forums. I'd hate to pick up my delivery in January and then hear if I waited until March I'd get a HUD - and there's no way to retro fit it.
Welcome to Tesla, there will always be new features coming out, much faster than traditional car makers. The only thing you can do is to see the car in person, and see if you're happy with what you're getting for the money, and don't let the unknown wag you. Same with the M3 interior, there are tons of rumors, but no one knows for sure how it works. So don't worry too much about it, when it comes out, test drive it in person and decide if it's for you or not, then think if a HUD would be worth waiting 3 months, 6 months, maybe the incentive would expire by then, or maybe the P**D would be out by then and that's actually the car you want. If you're losing sleep already over the HUD, what do you think about the tax incentive and P**D options?

Reactions: croman
Welcome to Tesla, there will always be new features coming out, much faster than traditional car makers. The only thing you can do is to see the car in person, and see if you're happy with what you're getting for the money, and don't let the unknown wag you. Same with the M3 interior, there are tons of rumors, but no one knows for sure how it works. So don't worry too much about it, when it comes out, test drive it in person and decide if it's for you or not, then think if a HUD would be worth waiting 3 months, 6 months, maybe the incentive would expire by then, or maybe the P**D would be out by then and that's actually the car you want. If you're losing sleep already over the HUD, what do you think about the tax incentive and P**D options?

Yup. I waited four months for my X (after years of saving and watching and thinking) - and two months later Tesla made it obsolete, with no upgrade path. But I don't regret buying the car.

You need to decide what's really important to you, and wait until that is available, then buy and don't worry about the other features that come along - in a quarter or two there'll be something else to worry about.

I'm waiting for the interior refresh, the 2170 pack, Xavier, and the first real shot at self driving firmware before I consider upgrading, all of which I expect to see within a year or so from now (we'll see how far they get with self driving in that time, that might come up short.)

The biggest problem with Tesla - osborning and purchase timing wise - is the sheer unpredictability of it all. The only thing that is predictable are the quarter games of demand levers... and the unrelenting pace of change. Mind you, not improvement necessarily, but change - sometimes to the worse. (Several good things in my Model X have been discontinued since the order.)

The only wisdom I can gather is to never buy a Tesla (until you absolutely have to), especially after your first one (which gets you to a BEV and takes care of the big differentiator). Beyond that getting it right is nearly impossible. I will be glad to go back to model years eventually. I find it offputting, and not just because it is constant improvement, but because it is so short-sighted and random...

I find myself more relieved than happy about my Model X. At least it was the top dog for a quarter and a half after international delivery. Very few Tesla owners get that these days. :D When deliveries can take even two quarters and the product changes many times each quarter...

Frankly, I have a hard time thinking of any other product that just keeps changing all the time at this pace.

Reactions: Big-T and davidc18
Welcome to Tesla, there will always be new features coming out,

Except this is a little different because they were talking about a timeframe that could only include cars that were reserved in 2016.

It would be uber d*ck on Tesla's part to give March/April 2016 reservation holders no HUD but May 2016 reservation holders a HUD, when all of them may have waited the same ~2 years for their car.

I fully understand the risk I'm taking if i were to buy an S right now, that Tesla could upgrade a feature next week and i might've missed out. The S isn't working through a backlog of "preorders", though. The 3 would be. And i think that's a significant difference.

Reactions: Big-T
Except this is a little different because they were talking about a timeframe that could only include cars that were reserved in 2016.

It would be uber d*ck on Tesla's part to give March/April 2016 reservation holders no HUD but May 2016 reservation holders a HUD, when all of them may have waited the same ~2 years for their car.

I fully understand the risk I'm taking if i were to buy an S right now, that Tesla could upgrade a feature next week and i might've missed out. The S isn't working through a backlog of "preorders", though. The 3 would be. And i think that's a significant difference.
The difference is that the M3 is not officially out yet, there is no ordering page yet. So why not wait till the M3 hits that stage, see what other info Tesla gives regarding what they're saving for 2018 (such as P**D model), and then assess your risk? and freak out if you must?

Edit: personally I'm annoyed with all the strawman argument "if Tesla did this or that, it would be really bad/stupid/dickish/irresponsible of them and many people will cancel". How about we just wait and see?

The difference is that the M3 is not officially out yet, there is no ordering page yet. So why not wait till the M3 hits that stage, see what other info Tesla gives regarding what they're saving for 2018 (such as P**D model), and then assess your risk? and freak out if you must?

Edit: personally I'm annoyed with all the strawman argument "if Tesla did this or that, it would be really bad/stupid/dickish/irresponsible of them and many people will cancel". How about we just wait and see?

BECAUSE THIS ENTIRE THREAD IS A HYPOTHETICAL/RUMOR. I WAS ANSWERING THE HYPOTHETICAL/RUMOR. NO NEED TO WAIT FOR REALITY WHEN IT'S A HYPOTHETICAL/RUMOR.

That's not what a straw man is.

• Love
Reactions: Big-T
The new E class is based on the C class chassis now. They gussied up the interior to give the impression of it being a new car, but it kinda is a C class being sold as an E class.

I have a E class as my 2nd car (we hardly use it). Compared to my X it is a very crude vehicle. Poor electronics, nav, plastic seats (MB Tex) and I am so tired of seeing the display... Service A or B or C due, and no idea what they are talking about without taking it to the dealer and having me bend over with their exorbinate oil change costs.

The S and X interiors are smooth works of art compared to the million button Mercedes interiors. Mercedes has changed, and now sells the Sizzle instead of the Steak.

I noticed you provided a Black & White photo for the older Mercedes, and a high resolution Color one for the later car.

Well, taste is definitely subjective. Maybe even eyesight, since the Mercedes on top clearly has a red hood and mirror. I just wanted to show two pictures that where closely from the same angle. One just happens to be black and white trim.

I am kind of astonished that you bought a really new car and already hate it so much, maybe a second Tesla would have been better? And why opt for the MB Tex seats, if you don't like them?

Too many questions and I am afraid there will be too many BS answers.

In general I don't wanted to start another Model S vs XXX comparison, I like my Model S best, period. I just wanted to say, I could understand, if they improved the parts of the interior, that are 5 years old, as others have.

I didn't say the 3 should be the same car at half the price. But the rumor the op shared discussed the S/X getting the 3's dashboard - so actually a stark decrease in luxury - and adding a HUD.

If the S/X turn into the 3's interior with a HUD, and it's believed the 3 will eventually get a HUD as well, Tesla is going to kneecap their 3 sales. Doing that is more problematic for Tesla than delaying an interior refresh a year or two for the S/X.
I realize that reading these forums makes it appear that a HUD is the end-all, be-all feature, but I have a very difficult time thinking that it would have much of an effect on number of Model 3 orders if the S/X were to get one in the near future. Maybe it's because every HUD I've ever used has been nothing more than an expensive gimmick. When my dad purchased his new Lexus, he ended up waiting an extra 5 weeks because he wanted the HUD - was actually told by the salesman and the manager that he was the only person they've had order it through their dealership and it definitely wasn't worth the wait or the exhorbitant price tag. He went ahead and got it, and after a couple weeks he never turns it on anymore.

On the flip side, if Tesla actually made a good one and seeing as how the M3 doesn't have a central instrument cluster (more than likely), I suppose it might be a fairly popular option. I just can't see the majority of reservation holders delaying their purchase for possibly years waiting for this single option.

Not in the Model 3. It might be ready for the S/X though. I really think the Model 3 won't have a HUD until at least 2020. What will likely drive it is the new EV's that competitors will be putting out.
I am imagining, though, that the performance Model 3 will have features the normal Model 3 won't have, similar to the S P100D vs other configurations.

IF more model 3 upgrades (HUD?) does get introduced later, like 2-3 years, you could just see that as the first batch of people get the full/some tax credit while the others left don't get any tax credit, but a few nice upgrades (HUD?).
of course there will be some unfortunate ones who miss out on both tax credit and possible upgrade (HUD?)...

I realize that reading these forums makes it appear that a HUD is the end-all, be-all feature, but I have a very difficult time thinking that it would have much of an effect on number of Model 3 orders if the S/X were to get one in the near future. Maybe it's because every HUD I've ever used has been nothing more than an expensive gimmick. When my dad purchased his new Lexus, he ended up waiting an extra 5 weeks because he wanted the HUD - was actually told by the salesman and the manager that he was the only person they've had order it through their dealership and it definitely wasn't worth the wait or the exhorbitant price tag. He went ahead and got it, and after a couple weeks he never turns it on anymore.

On the flip side, if Tesla actually made a good one and seeing as how the M3 doesn't have a central instrument cluster (more than likely), I suppose it might be a fairly popular option. I just can't see the majority of reservation holders delaying their purchase for possibly years waiting for this single option.

I didn't say that.

The 3's sparse interior, lack of design elements and absence of an in-front-of-driver display make a "good" hud a welcome commodity.

Reactions: sitter_k
If HUD becomes an option I would love to see the ability to turn off the display screens when driving at night.

So only the HUD displayed the information on the windscreen

Or maybe they can have a night mode similar to what Saab offered.

Saab Night time mode: