Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate having important controls such as climate and audio on a screen. I'd rather have physical controls. But if they have voice commands for those functions, and if that really works (i.e. it better be a heck of a lot better than Siri) then I'd be okay with it. I don't like the idea of HUD, but having never experienced HUD, maybe I'd get used to it. I have a Garmin GPS that sits on the dash of my Prius, and at night it reflects onto the windshield, and I don't like that. I love gadgets, but some things work better the old way.

Difficult to say unless we see what a truly capable HUD can do. ...

Go to a dealer, drive an HUD car and turn it up full blast to emulate the feeling they give you while driving.

Normally, you turn it down as low as possible and put the least amount of data necessary. But you don't get a 1,000 mile test drive. Turning it to Obnoxious will give you the experience that owners get.

Now drive through areas with rocks, potholes, pedestrians, oil, bicycles, complex signs in the far distance, winding roads with rockslides, etc.

They you will understand why many (most?) HUD car owners leave it off unless showing off the car.

It's like driving with a bunch of bird shiit on your windshield. You can get used to it, but you won't actually enjoy it more than a clean windshield.

I love the BMW HUDs. Have not used them much, but when I get into a car with one it felt very natural to use after a few minutes and not distracting.

Here is a Audi one that has a very simple display for the "Autopilot" information and also the nice navigation which many cars have with this little countdown bar.

I love the BMW HUDs. Have not used them much, but when I get into a car with one it felt very natural to use after a few minutes and not distracting.

Here is a Audi one that has a very simple display for the "Autopilot" information and also the nice navigation which many cars have with this little countdown bar.

Did he hit a couple of minor potholes because of the HUD or because he's a bad driver? I can't tell.

Go to a dealer, drive an HUD car and turn it up full blast to emulate the feeling they give you while driving.

Normally, you turn it down as low as possible and put the least amount of data necessary. But you don't get a 1,000 mile test drive. Turning it to Obnoxious will give you the experience that owners get.

Now drive through areas with rocks, potholes, pedestrians, oil, bicycles, complex signs in the far distance, winding roads with rockslides, etc.

They you will understand why many (most?) HUD car owners leave it off unless showing off the car.

It's like driving with a bunch of bird shiit on your windshield. You can get used to it, but you won't actually enjoy it more than a clean windshield.

Too broad a brush IMO.
Granted, I have only test driven with a few.
From that experience, your description might be plausible for poorly implemented HUDs.
Most that I found were not impressive at all.

The one in the Audi A8 though was phenomenal.
It seemed much less distracting, and took almost no effort.
All I needed to do was shift my mental focus and the speed, nav, etc was right there. Shift my mental focus again and it disappeared, I just didn't notice the information when I didn't need it.
And all the time, the road was in view.

If a HUD can be implemented that does not require your eyes to refocus, that can save half a second.
That doesn't sound like much, but at 60mph a car travels 44 feet.

I need to actually drive and experience the car before I can make any generalized statements about the display of information.

Too broad a brush IMO.
Granted, I have only test driven with a few.
From that experience, your description might be plausible for poorly implemented HUDs.
Most that I found were not impressive at all.

The one in the Audi A8 though was phenomenal.
It seemed much less distracting, and took almost no effort.
All I needed to do was shift my mental focus and the speed, nav, etc was right there. Shift my mental focus again and it disappeared, I just didn't notice the information when I didn't need it.
And all the time, the road was in view.

If a HUD can be implemented that does not require your eyes to refocus, that can save half a second.
That doesn't sound like much, but at 60mph a car travels 44 feet.

I need to actually drive and experience the car before I can make any generalized statements about the display of information.

We are probably buying another HUD car soon (5th?). State of the art HUD including 'invisible' humans and animals in warning boxes. It uses 3rd gen infrared and has a night vision display. It's for my wife as her eyesight is not as good as it was. Trust me, it's not being installed on $35k cars.

If you have good eyesight, and experience driving, you know how fast you are going without instruments. And you can see people, bicycles, motorcycle if your windshield is clear, and you do your scans, and look ahead.

Exactly what could be put on the windshield in this situation that is going to improve your safety? Besides, most people are looking at their cellphones, and the dash is more visible from your lap than the windshield is.

I wonder also how difficult it would be to get used of using the screen to control everything
especially functions like climate control, instead of reaching a knob without looking at it.
Frankly, using the big screen while driving is still much harder - even after three years and now two Teslas - for e.g. climate control than doing the same by feel on another premium car
In the S & X HVAC temperature, fan speed, and power on/off can be controlled from the steering wheel and I would expect this to carry over to the 3 for safety reasons (plus, it's just software)... So why does everyone keep taking about using the center screen for HVAC? Because of the multifunction steering wheel controls, I almost never touch the center screen while driving my S.

I agree about your concerns regarding the center screen freezing.
My center screen has frozen while driving and rebooted numerous times. It was a bit annoying, but the dash display made it just an irritant.

I hope that tesla has some sort of "safety" mode that allows it to display core information like speed, even if the software is rebooting.
I've gone through simultaneous reboots of the IC & MCU (all screens black) while driving a couple times, it's seriously no big deal. Also, fun tidbit, I recall TACC continuing to work during double reboot but Autosteer didn't (it just blared it's alert chime during the reboot).

I still don't understand why they didn't just use second screen, like in the S.

I know, someone will surely come and try to convince me it is because of simplicity and bringing down costs, but this is a 35k+ car. If we were talking low 20s, I could understand it, but this is a entrance level luxury car and a screen plus computer really isn't that expensive.

And if these $87 and 42 cents would make it impossible for Tesla to achieve the 35k base price... just raise the base price by $500, nobody would really care! Buy some iPad minis and glue them behind the screen, for all I care. $400 for the iPad, $2 for some hot glue and $98 for the guy who does the glueing.

If they find some college student, they might even get a rebate on the iPads.

• Funny
Reactions: Matias

I know, someone will surely come and try to convince me it is because of simplicity and bringing down costs, but this is a 35k+ car. If we were talking low 20s, I could understand it, but this is a entrance level luxury car and a screen plus computer really isn't that expensive.

And if these $87 and 42 cents would make it impossible for Tesla to achieve the 35k base price... just raise the base price by $500, nobody would really care! Buy some iPad minis and glue them behind the screen, for all I care. $400 for the iPad, $2 for some hot glue and $98 for the guy who does the glueing.

What will you do when you find out that as of 2017, a 100 mile, 100 hp EV drivetrain costs $8,000 to $12,000 more than an ICE drivetrain?
Why do you think a MS60 was $60k? Why a 60kWh Bolt is $37k?

In the S & X HVAC temperature, fan speed, and power on/off can be controlled from the steering wheel and I would expect this to carry over to the 3 for safety reasons (plus, it's just software)... So why does everyone keep taking about using the center screen for HVAC?

Because I use the steering wheel controls for a much more important (for me) function: display brightness. Navigating the menus to change the function to something else is too cumbersome.

Because of the multifunction steering wheel controls, I almost never touch the center screen while driving my S.

I agree the steering wheel controls are important. Without them the big touchscreen interface would be near impossible to use IMO while driving. I use the steering wheel for volume, radio station changes and display brightness all the time, as well as occasionally to initiate a phone call.

I've gone through simultaneous reboots of the IC & MCU (all screens black) while driving a couple times, it's seriously no big deal. Also, fun tidbit, I recall TACC continuing to work during double reboot but Autosteer didn't (it just blared it's alert chime during the reboot).

Agreed, it is rare to need to boot. Drive-related systems continue to work.

That said, Model S/X has the dash screen for speedometer. The center screen crashing or needing reboot is more common than the dash system. A Model 3 with only one screen could thus be more vulnerable for some issues.

What will you do when you find out that as of 2017, a 100 mile, 100 hp EV drivetrain costs $8,000 to $12,000 more than an ICE drivetrain?
Why do you think a MS60 was $60k? Why a 60kWh Bolt is $37k?

Save money on a cheap part that actually adds value, gigantic flatscreen in the middle, no problem, small screen behind the wheel, thats too far? And I seriously doubt a 100 mile 100hp EV drivetrain is 8-12k more, but that really isn't the point here.

I keep seeing references to having the seat controls on the center screen. Has there been any evidence the seats won't have the same adjustment levers/buttons on the side next to the doors as the S and X?

I think some may be taking this 'no buttons' thing too far.

Who knows, but interesting to see if Tesla might actually go for manual seats as the base level.

This has been addressed quite a few times, but it probably is a combination of not just cost, but also manufacturing time. The panel itself and the wiring are the most likely things to need human installations, since they require working in smaller spaces. If it takes a couple/few minutes to run the wire, then another couple to install the screen, you're talking a significant amount of time that could cost you a few cars a day at Elon's stated "goal pace". So now instead of $87, you are talking thousands per day of lost profit, which they have to compare to the (admittedly subjective) opinion about the second screen being unnecessary. Not saying it's the right or wrong choice, but they have to make this decision for hundreds of different potential parts, and it's "death by a thousand cuts" when you are trying to get cost and efficiency down.

Reactions: happyguy
Yeah, but if you remove the tax it's a 25966€ or $27501 car.

The Model 3 is expected to start at 40-42000€ here... that's getting close to a base 5-Series.

Still, even an Audi A6 starts with manual seats.

Manual seats in Model 3 would not be out of the ordinary in the class, though of course electric would have to be offered as an option to count as normal...