Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The S could actually use some new features, now that I think of it. A HUD would definitely add value.

But the real question is, will Elon just say that it's totally unneeded across the entire fleet because you won't eveb be driving in 2 years and instead imbed a U-U-OLED-HD 8k in every pain of glass in the car for your viewing pleasure? I wouldn't mind seeing the surroundings of rural Scotland when I'm being driven across the Bay bridge.

Since we are talking bout HUDs, I think a HUD would have been a wonderful idea. Maybe just as an option?

tbh, it's bound to come now to Teslas vehicles. Everyone keeps talking about it and there is clearly demand there. I can imagine the next Model S having no dash LCD and just having a head up display showing the same information.

For the Model 3? Well I still think it would have been a good idea. I can see that having the speed sort of in the right corner of the eye doesnt make such a big difference afterall. But when it comes to having autopilot information beening put there too.... i don't know. I think people want to easily trace what the autopilot can "see" to reassure themselves...

That's good to hear although it is a bit different when it is the ONLY screen. Hopefully, it won't be an issue.

FWIW, on several occasions where I've had to re-boot the 17" screen on my Model S, the center dash screen has gone dark and re-booted as well. It doesn't always do this, but maybe 25% of the time it does. One time, both the center screen and the 17" were dark for almost 15 minutes. The car was running fine, but it was night and very eerie having no displays at all. Just as I was getting worried and thinking I'd have to call Roadside, the 17" turned grey with the T logo and started to re-boot followed by the center screen shortly thereafter.

View attachment 221936

So with the screen in the middle showing everything and being at a good viewing angle and enhanced graphics, autopilot and speedometer display in the production candidates, who needs a HUD? I am sure No One !

Please share your thoughts... I also wrote an article on this here (above pics in high-res): No One Needs A HUD On Tesla Model 3. Here's Why - X Auto

I agree we don't specifically need a HUD, I don't agree that we need nothing in front of the driver at all, especially considering all the data we'll be looking at. The goal should be what's the BEST driver experience, not jut what is minimum necessity.

I swear Elon is going to announced hand cranked windows and 2/3 of the forum will call it sheer genius for ease of manufacturing and stripping out unnecessary items. It's so hard to get unbiased thoughts here sometimes.

Reactions: X-Auto
Basic necessities: Turn signals, current speed, battery level, miles remaining. Everything else I'm fine getting the info from the center display. If I don't see them in front of me when I bring home the M3, I'm going to look for aftermarket options or build my own into the curved air vent strip directly in front of the driver.

Reactions: X-Auto and T34ME
If I don't see them in front of me when I bring home the M3, I'm going to look for aftermarket options or build my own into the curved air vent strip directly in front of the driver.

Aftermarket products for interior and exterior are going to be YUGE for the TM3. You will be able to get almost anything you want, and just about wishlist everything discussed in these threads.................for a price.

Thanks, now it is even more confusing to keep up!

Eh. I think the general route: 1-2 pages of proper discussion, 10-20 pages of recalcitrant back & forth with the same points repeatedly made (partially because people didn't bother to read the other 10 threads that already settled some facts) and unrelated side debates, and then almost everyone only reads the last 2 posts, if that, before "chiming in".

It's not a bad life, honestly.