Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think those tweets are there to help folks buy the model s instead of waiting, which is ba for their cash flow and hence stock value. It may still be possible for the model s to be updated just around the same time model 3 rolls out, so both new innovative features and the promise that s has everything 3 has will be satisfied.

As most of you should know, one of the greatest benefits of Teslas is their "connectability." There are various 3rd party apps that are able to connect to your Tesla and display many different aspects of your car, one of which being the speedo and "tachometer."

Therefore, one possible solution (and money making idea) is that someone develop an app with a layout connected to the vehicle that displays your relevant information. Then you could get a 7 inch tablet with a data plan and find a creative way to mount it in front of the driver

Thoughts?

Pass. Sounds poorly integrated and intrusive; moderately expensive.

Eh, I initially missed my analog speedometer when I bought my Volt. It was weird not seeing the needle to judge my acceleration to speed. Now, I find I prefer the digital display, and rarely look at my "analog" speed gauge in my Model S (I have a classic, so I still have a gauge display). I find my eyes are off the road less time because the number is nice and big and easy to read so I process it instantly.

I think if the screen is placed well in the Model 3, it might be even easier to read. It almost looks like it might be just above your right hand if you drive at 10 and 2, which would potentially require less ducking to see around the steering wheel (I currently have to duck to see the top portion of the binnacle through the wheel)
We've had decades to get used to it, but the brain is doing far more work seeing 50, then ||| to come up with 53, then just seeing 53.

-smak-

Reactions: Az_Rael
Tesla getting rid of the useless things cars have always had. There is no need for a useless HUD dash. I'd rather have a clear view of the road ahead of me.

Only thing you need to see is your speed and thats it.
I think the second most important thing after speed is miles to go. After that, it's nothing that's needed, and there will probably be a dedicated screen to show that as well.

Having directions or what song is playing on the front dash is a thing that a lot of $35,000 cars do not have. My $35,000 car doesn't have it.

-smak-

Elon Musk tweeted today that there will be no heads up display, as reported on Electrek today... I'm surprised at Elon. This is the first clearly bad decision I've seen him make.
1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

Really? I guess this decision is wrong because e-v-e-r-y other car of e-v-e-r-y other manufacturer has had a heads up display for the last 50 years. So how will all these new drivers of a car without a HUD possibly learn to drive, huh?

It seems that any time Mr. Musk decides and announces something that someone does not like its a mistake. Interesting. Interesting that he can make so many mistakes and still run TWO successful companies.

I think those that complain the loudest are 3 reservations holders and are a bit selfish. Mr. Musk's mistake or not, its his choice. Anyone that does not like his decisions can start their own company and build the car they want. Just kiddin'. Please no cards and letters.

Last edited:
After driving my X for only about 4 months, I think that BMW interior looks absolutely archaic and silly. :eek:

:)
I'd take they 3-Series interior over the X any day, especially if it had a bit more upscale materials - obviously there is a price difference here. It actually looks like some designer put some thought into it and not just put a giant screen in the center, placed the vents around it and filled up the remaining space with the trim.

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV
"And think about all of the other info the fine car makers of the world put on the dashboard for us to see now, just so we DON'T need to look elsewhere. I'm surprised at Elon. This is the first clearly bad decision I've seen him make."

I doubt it is a bad decision. It wouldn't matter to me.

For a "P" version of this car there might be some owners who want to take their cars to the track. Then looking off to the side for your speed becomes rather inconvenient and dangerous.

On the 'BMW Series 3' concept, I think people were comparing the interior treatment, and not the dashboard, and overall 'feel' of the car, when saying the Model 3 was a competitor/replacement for it. The dashboard on that BMW 3 up there looks almost the same as my 2009 328! The only difference is the popup screen; I think my in-dash screen looks better, but it's lower down, so that probably was the point of the popup. Not sure why they would think you would only want the screen 'sometimes' (hence popup).

It would be interesting to see what 'target market' analysts (but we know what they are worth...) think the car is aimed at now, after the 'new news'. If it's not 'BMW 3', what is it?

400k reservations is a drop in the bucket compared to ICE sales If Elon wants to move EV's out of a niche role like he says he does his definition of Best needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers, his thought of a compelling car needs to line up with the majority of ICE drivers. Decisions like the ones above don't mesh with what a typical ICE driver is looking for. It's not compelling them to switch over. How do I know? Because last year 400k people signed up for a model 3, while over 80 million bought an ICE car instead.
Yeah, I'm disappointed with the downgraded expectations and the "why not buy a S?" pressure.

Hopefully Musk is just playing us.

I'd take they 3-Series interior over the X any day, especially if it had a bit more upscale materials - obviously there is a price difference here. It actually looks like some designer put some thought into it and not just put a giant screen in the center, placed the vents around it and filled up the remaining space with the trim.
Said the Blackberry to the iPhone.

I'm quite surprised in general that Tesla didn't have HUD from the start. I had two sports cars with it, and it's hard to drive a car without one once you get used to it. However, I suspect HUD is not a deal breaker for 99%. I suppose the beautiful digital dash helps...

I completely agree that the tweetstorm was an opportunity to rejuvenate S and X sales. It was also a much needed reality check for some dreamers who thought they're going to get a "smaller" S for $35k. The M3 will be a fairly normal car and minimalistic. I think many people will complain that it doesn't have this, doesn't have that, and that their 10 year old BMW had it... but whatever, they're living in dream land. It will be an awesome car for $35k because it is electric and has a Tesla badge on it.

I'm quite surprised in general that Tesla didn't have HUD from the start. I had two sports cars with it, and it's hard to drive a car without one once you get used to it. However, I suspect HUD is not a deal breaker for 99%.
You'd be even more surprised then at the other things Tesla didn't have from the start. My early S doesn't have parking sensors or auto folding side mirrors. Tesla was focused on getting a long range EV out the door and the other stuff could come later. Many top auto suppliers wouldn't work with Tesla when the S was being designed or give good pricing as they didn't expect it to survive.