Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUD ("Heads Up Display") Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...Also, this could be because I live in a suburban/city mixed area, but why is everybody so concerned about knowing if their brights are on? I can't remember the last time I used them in my ICE, and the Teslas have decent auto brights for when no cars are around in more rural areas.
I live in the mountains and collisions with deer on the roads are a concern (I've already lost one car to a deer). I've also had problem with hitting the brights switch during the day without realizing it and having brights on when the auto headlights come on. No, my S doesn't have auto dimming; will the 3? It is so dark where I live that I can see the Milky Way from inside my house when I turn out the lights. My county has a "dark sky" ordinance to keep it that way.

So, yes, I need that blue brights indicator where I can't miss it. YMMV.

My question is: Why do you need HUD. In other words.....why do you need to see what HUD displays?

I agree with Elon for a reason that he didn't mention. I don't need to know any of the information on my dash. I never really check it - Ever. The only thing I check occasionally is where my gas gauge is.

I'm not against a HUD but i agree with this. The only thing i look at in the dash screen (Outlander PHEV) is the current speed and main/high beam indicator. And the latter is actually hidden behind the steering wheel so i have to bow down a little bit to see it.

I live in the mountains and collisions with deer on the roads are a concern (I've already lost one car to a deer). I've also had problem with hitting the brights switch during the day without realizing it and having brights on when the auto headlights come on. No, my S doesn't have auto dimming; will the 3? It is so dark where I live that I can see the Milky Way from inside my house when I turn out the lights. My county has a "dark sky" ordinance to keep it that way.

So, yes, I need that blue brights indicator where I can't miss it. YMMV.
The S I've driven (AP 1.0, built right before new AP) had auto dim. I think it just uses the camera to look for headlights. I assume the 3 will have it, since it's a software thing not a hardware one. You should be fine, it works great in areas like those!

Last edited:
The most important thing to Tesla is to get the car out the door.
No, the most important thing to Tesla now is to get *the right car* out the door. Not just "any car" :)

and the Teslas have decent auto brights for when no cars are around in more rural areas
Isn't that auto brights part of the AutoPilot package? I will not get the AP, so I do not expect to get auto brights. And most (almost all) of my driving is in "more rural areas" and most of it in the dark periods of the day - especially in the 6 month between autumn equinox and spring equinox.Therefor I need to see the indicator.

With AP1 I need to check AP's status often; whether it sees the lanes, whether it is locked to the car in front, whether it noticed speed change etc. I'm looking to the dashboard much more often than in traditional car.

If I would need to check this information on the center located screen, it would be really distractive.

Reactions: alseTrick
Huge. Absolutely huge mistake having only one screen off to the right. I work in the aircraft industry and there is a reason a HUD or MFD screen is in line with the pilot's head - it's called Field Of View. Engineers spend a lot of time putting the important data if front of the pilot's face or as close to a natural scan as possible. A scan down and to the right is not natural.

I agree with Matias. When I'm using autosteer (which is seldom because it's implementation in my recent 21 sensor car only uses 1 of the 8 video cameras and performs very poorly) I NEED to look at the center display and the road constantly to see if the car is staying in the lane. It drifts terribly and would have hit the car to my left many times if I had not taken over control. I am a very enthusiastic Model S owner for 3 1/2 years, but this new model S I got in January with Version 2 autopilot hardware has been a big disappointment so far. Only 1 of the 8 video cameras are being used, and the autosteer is really in beta and I should not be put in the role of test pilot for this feature, after I paid $5000 extra for it. Is it me ?

After yesterdays twitter storm I think the real question here isn't "do I need to see my speed in front of me or to the left" there's a bigger issue here. What other things are we going to have to do without as part of the simplification?

No Binnacle (likely no HUD) - Sure other cars are missing it, but for the most part they're crapitalistic econbox cars (sorry if I've offended the numerous Yaris owners here).

Interior - We haven't seen it but so far Tesla hasn't won any awards for interior design. The flagship model S didn't have any storage pockets in the doors and all of 2 cupholders...."Who cares, I just drive myself I only need 1 cupholder" or "You shouldn't keep crap in your car anyway so pocket holders are unnecessary" are are arguments that miss the point completely, other manufacturers have put these creature comforts in cars of all price levels.

Sure they're not NESSISARY but neither are rear windows that roll down, AC, or lumbar supported chairs, heck neither is power steering. My first car was an '84 honda civic that was missing ALL those things. It was just fine at the time. However I've moved on since then and if I can find those features in 30+ cars on the market all competing for my dollars I should also be able to find it on a Tesla that is marketed as the BEST car I can get for 35k.

I've still got my reservation in, I won't be making any rash decisions until I see the final car. But I sure hope it's compelling.. I"m hoping it's compelling ALMOST as much as I hope Elon would stop one line twitter comments that the entire Tesla community will go bonkers over and analyze to death for weeks. How about a full reveal with full details!

You've done a perfect description of my thinking, and is really sad that for a few bugs in giving the car a nice look could make me step back on something so clear a week ago. Musk you have to understand that I won't spend 60k for a car that looks a cheap one.

Reactions: alseTrick and Big-T
We should know soon enough how much was sacrificed to get the car out the door on Elon's accelerated schedule. They are still having fit and finish issues with the most recent MS/MXs which raised a "WTF" is going on inside the factory question for me. Does anyone think they are going to have the QC issues fixed for the 3?

1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg

Where does This image come? Because if this shitty integrated screen is the actual screen, I can't by this car, if really don't have HUB could be deal breaking, but if this is the only screen and is integrated like a police-laptop is something unacceptable. Let's be patient.

Where does This image come? Because if this shitty integrated screen is the actual screen, I can't by this car, if really don't have HUB could be deal breaking, but if this is the only screen and is integrated like a police-laptop is something unacceptable. Let's be patient.
Instagram post, that wasn't really meant for the public eye :cool:

New Interior Image Of Tesla Model 3 Surfaces

As far as I can tell these screen does not seem to have been changed in the release candidate: Elon Musk on Twitter

Last edited:
The only mistake was in letting the speculations about HUD run rampant for so long, as it created unrealistic expectations.
This is my confusion... we (here and elsewhere) spent millions (it must be) of words debating/discussing this. If the 'spaceship' phrase never meant this or didn't after AP2.0/HW2 came out (you get level 5, and you get level 5, and you get level 5... ), it should have been shot down earlier. There was really nothing to support a HUD except everyone's 'assumption' of what 'spaceship controls' meant.

I still think it may have never meant anything else 'it drives itself, and you can relax for a change', but who knows and we may never know.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
I'm unsure, maybe someone with a newer S could clue us in. They aren't currently mentioned under EAP or standard features, but I believe it's one of the features they are working on for AP2.0 right now along with automatic wipers and such (it functioned fine under AP 1.0). I *think* they come standard, as they don't have anything to do with navigation or self-driving, but hopefully we can get some clarity!
My AP1 Model X has auto brights.

• Informative
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Elon Musk tweeted today that there will be no heads up display, as reported on Electrek today...suggesting that the Center Console 15 inch display will be the only driver display in the car. An image was shown with the speedometer display on the upper left of the center mounted screen. I am concerned that a center mounted screen is a very bad way to display the info that we now see on our dashboard. A dashboard is the closest that information can be displayed to where our line of sight should be for safe driving. A heads up display, which superimposes information on the windshield, is even closer to our line of sight, but there is some concern that this type of "augmented reality" over the view of the road ahead may prove too distracting. I've used some heads up displays and found them effective and not more distracting than the standard dashboard. But asking a driver to look down and to the right just to see the speedometer is a really bad idea. And think about all of the other info the fine car makers of the world put on the dashboard for us to see now, just so we DON'T need to look elsewhere. I'm surprised at Elon. This is the first clearly bad decision I've seen him make.
1490394960_TeslaDisplay.jpg
I don't think it's a mistake at all !
HUD is just not ready for consumer prime time yet.