Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HUGE Parasitic Loss

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hill

high fiber member
Apr 21, 2015
either MT or TN
50 miles loss overnight? What now ...
75D, April 2017 build - just got it back from SC after being there over 3 weeks & over 1½ dozen issues. Couldn't be uncorked (?) and NO - temps weren't sub zero ... even during 45° SoCal winters here, our garage doesn't dip below 60°. Yet the fans were frequently running after we got home ~ 4PM yesterday - like we'd left it on w/ heater going. It was 70° here yesterday.
Leaving home @4am this morning, i hear fans cycle on! I'm guessing it's some kind of a software/climate issue fwiw, so i unlock (via the app - because i was taking the other ev to work - didn't have Xfob on me) turn car on (climate was off) then turned climate 'on' & dropped temp from 70° to max low - turned it off & left to work.
Called my better half to tell her, "take it back to the SC 1st thing". They said "oh, it's likely just another hardware flash .... you can leave it here for a 30 minute diagnostic (yea, whenever they can squeeze it in) or bring it back Monday. (sigh)
For one thing, 1 of the many items done during the 3wks in the shop was a flash, & the other thing - i've NEVER seen a flash dump 50 miles of range - from 150 that evening to 105 this AM.
So, that's why the new thread rather than just 1 of the many parasitic loss threads.
Any thoughts?
Thx

It does sound like a climate problem. Try resetting the console by long pressing both scroll wheels. That often works when the car is doing strange things. You might try turning cabin overheat protection off just to be sure. No other apps that can turn your climate control on?

50 miles loss overnight? What now ...
75D, April 2017 build - just got it back from SC after being there over 3 weeks & over 1½ dozen issues. Couldn't be uncorked (?) and NO - temps weren't sub zero ... even during 45° SoCal winters here, our garage doesn't dip below 60°. Yet the fans were frequently running after we got home ~ 4PM yesterday - like we'd left it on w/ heater going. It was 70° here yesterday.
Leaving home @4am this morning, i hear fans cycle on! I'm guessing it's some kind of a software/climate issue fwiw, so i unlock (via the app - because i was taking the other ev to work - didn't have Xfob on me) turn car on (climate was off) then turned climate 'on' & dropped temp from 70° to max low - turned it off & left to work.
Called my better half to tell her, "take it back to the SC 1st thing". They said "oh, it's likely just another hardware flash .... you can leave it here for a 30 minute diagnostic (yea, whenever they can squeeze it in) or bring it back Monday. (sigh)
For one thing, 1 of the many items done during the 3wks in the shop was a flash, & the other thing - i've NEVER seen a flash dump 50 miles of range - from 150 that evening to 105 this AM.
So, that's why the new thread rather than just 1 of the many parasitic loss threads.
Any thoughts?
Thx

fifty miles overnight means something over a kW of average draw. Are you positive the climate control *wasn't* left on overnight?

The drain is about in line with what I'd expect for that in the given weather conditions.

it's back in the shop. 3 of the many things allegedly fixed already came back, as well as the huge range loss - so hopefully it'll be addressed when we get it back on (est) Friday. In any event, we do always turn off the air, prior to exit. Settings are set for the X doors closing automatically on fob walkway, & because one problem supposedly fixed was the front passenger door not closing securely, that was brought up on drop-off yesterday. So who knows.
Our S was problem-free. But in 10 months the X has met all the hurdles to go lemon, yet the better ½ (her car) doesn't want to do that, since it's leased & she can just walk away. I'd feel bad thinking a subsequent buyer will maybe eat such issues regularly - should we walk.
Duno - will post whatever the findings are.

Besides my recommendations that I posted before (see below), another thing I've seen is to make sure the key is more than 20 ft. away from the car. If not, yours may stay awake and use a significant amount of energy as a result.

Did you try turning on Energy Saving and disabling (unchecking) Always connected? Others have observed 2 - 4 miles per day of range loss with these settings, or better. You can also disable Cabin Overheat Protection to see if that will have any effect.

Besides my recommendations that I posted before (see below), another thing I've seen is to make sure the key is more than 20 ft. away from the car. If not, yours may stay awake and use a significant amount of energy as a result.

When I walk away from the MX with the fob in my pocket, Iat a certain point I can hear the doors locking, the mirrors retracting, etc. Does that mean it's then fully asleep, or do I have to take fob even further away to put the car into some sort of deeper sleep?

"Asleep" is really a misnomer, isn't it? The car has to have enough consciousness to respond to a fob, to communicate via internet to handle remote control commands, and to process updates, does it not? That awareness has to consume some energy, and so I guess the question of the day is: how much energy loss is normal, for a car that's asleep? Our MX 100D seems to lose about 1-2% overnight.

There are distinct "idle" and "sleep" modes. "Idle" is when the car is in park but still somewhat active, using up to 10mi-15mi of rated range per day. "Sleep" is a lower power mode, using 1mi-2mi per day. The car will still respond in sleep mode, but you might see some delay. I never really notice a big difference. The car will switch from sleep to idle when you approach (even before it will unlock), so you may not see much delay as you approach a sleeping car.

• Informative
Reactions: JenkinsEar