Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Huuuge Wheelbase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this render is accurate it’s not any larger than a typical truck.

49C813F8-1368-4EF9-982A-33505CEAAEDA.jpeg

Reactions: Electruck
And Actually Cybertruck has a shorter wheelbase than the SuperCrew F150

Cybertruck is 230.9 inches long and a 149.9-inch wheelbase
According to multiple sources including motortrend who spent a lot of time with the Cybertruck
https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-photos-info/

F150 SuperCrew with 6.5 foot bed is 243.7 in long with an 156.8 in wheelbase
https://www.fleet.ford.com/fleet-specifications-vdm/?sg=trucks&category=exterior dimensions - cab&yr=2019&categoryId=specexteriordimensions - cab&md=F-150&brand=Ford
hey now, don't go letting facts get in the way of a good moan :rolleyes:

Who are you going to believe? Some guy on The Internets, or your own lying eyes?

Again, and again, and again, I reference this screenshot:
Tesla-Cybertruck-vs-Ford-F150-1-2-e1574880871925.jpg

... I guess I just had to put it up ...

I overestimated some of you, apologies.

• Disagree
Reactions: jas and Electruck
Who are you going to believe? Some guy on The Internets, or your own lying eyes?

Again, and again, and again, I reference this screenshot:View attachment 482477

... I guess I just had to put it up ...

I overestimated some of you, apologies.

Well 2 things here I guess you need an explanation of how perspective in photography works

1 There's some foreshortening happening because this isn't a perfect profile and the camera isn't entered between the two trucks making the CT wheelbase appear larger and the F150 appear shorter. You can see this most easily if you just measure how far apart the lines on the road are on the left side of the photo and compare with the lines on the right. The lines are further apart on the right meaning the vanishing point is off to the left of the photograph, this means that as you move from right to left in this photo things will start looking ever so slightly smaller along all dimensions, but even more so along the line of sight which is roughly along the wheelbase in this photo

2 This isn't the comparable F150 in the video, it's the super crew Shortbox 5.5' not the standard 6.5' which comparable with the CT. You can tell by comparing how close the rear wheels are to the front of the box

The wheelbase of the short box crew cab is 145 inches which is roughly 5 inches shorter than the CT which is pretty negligible considering that the bed size is smaller

I'm not going to trust either I'm going to trust the numbers Ford itself puts out and the numbers Tesla gave out that were verified by a trusted automotive publication

Last edited:
How is it a miracle of physics? Turning radius seems like it would be largely dictated by the maximum angle of the front wheels. That’s completely independent of the car’s wheelbase. I’ve had long cars with better turning radii than smaller hatchbacks.
Well, actually turning radius can get quite complicated to calculate for two front wheels steering on 4-wheel vehicle, depending on the steering geometry (which means the relationship on wheel center to actual pivot point of the steering mechanism, etc). But even the very simplest mathematical description of turning radius has the turning radius dependent on BOTH steering wheel angle and wheelbase: TR = WB/sin(wheel angle). So... not at all independent of wheelbase in any circumstance.

For a given wheel steering wheel angle, the shorter wheelbase vehicle will have a smaller turning radius.

I’ll help you guys a little on what cam dictate turn radius in 4wd vehicles, it’s largely due to the u joints in the front axles. They don’t like to turn and get force run through them. CV joints are better, but a 2wd will always have an advantage in turning from a design perspective as long as drive shafts are implemented.

Looks like I misquoted. My comment of: "Perfect illustration of the maxim "Power currupts" was intended to be in response to: "Who cares if it doesn't turn around on a small road. That's why it has big tires, just drive over your neighbors azaleas."