Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HV Battery Failed After 2 Years.. Months at Service Station?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No news for me, I went down to the service center the other day to ask them to charge the car before my 12v battery dies. I assume they either unplugged the HV disconnect or disabled my access, as the car is no longer showing me the charge level changing. I am at 31 days now, ETA still says January 31st for estimated completion.
I'm also in a similar situation. Car is also sitting at no charge. Brought car into service center on 1/6/22 and estimated completion is 2/4/22. I asked a few days ago if any update on the battery order, but per parts department, no update as of yet. No loaner, just Uber credits for me.

I’m in the same boat. At the beginning of December, my wife’s 2019 Model X P100D suddenly went to zero miles while it should have had ~150m of range while she was getting her nails done, the app gave me a heads up it was empty, so i knew before she did.

It has about 20k miles, almost never supercharged.

On December 10th, Ft. Lauderdale Service center said HV battery failure. Today the app said they’ve updated the completion estimate to March 31st, which will coming up on 4 months. So 10-15% of the time I will own this car it will be in the shop.

As an aside, I went to see if I could buy a new one and just have them buy the broken one from me. A new Model X Plaid is bowing delivery in October - which is understandable because I don’t think it’s even out yet. But, the non-plaid is showing delivery in January of 2023.l - one year from now. For comparison Model S is showing 4-8 weeks. Must be something specific to the X that is jacked up.

I’m in the same boat. At the beginning of December, my wife’s 2019 Model X P100D suddenly went to zero miles while it should have had ~150m of range while she was getting her nails done, the app gave me a heads up it was empty, so i knew before she did.

It has about 20k miles, almost never supercharged.

On December 10th, Ft. Lauderdale Service center said HV battery failure. Today the app said they’ve updated the completion estimate to March 31st, which will coming up on 4 months. So 10-15% of the time I will own this car it will be in the shop.

As an aside, I went to see if I could buy a new one and just have them buy the broken one from me. A new Model X Plaid is bowing delivery in October - which is understandable because I don’t think it’s even out yet. But, the non-plaid is showing delivery in January of 2023.l - one year from now. For comparison Model S is showing 4-8 weeks. Must be something specific to the X that is jacked up
Hope they end up buying back without needing to go through the lemon law process. I was considering the same, but honestly, I just want my few months of insurance repaid and for them not to software limit the battery they end up replacing since they don't make 70kwh anymore.

I am also in the same boat as you guys with a 2019 raven @ 65k miles, heard click at sc. Then got a bunch of diagnostics high voltage detected. Drove to the next supercharger 120 miles then the car wanted to shut down luckily I was near service Center But three hours from home. I was told quickly that I would need a new battery.Just got my car back from two months for a front motor replacement.Service center caused motor failure while fixing the shutter issue changing front axles. So will I get a new battery or refurbished? Will range increase from the 328?
Update: My 2019 raven performance s purchased from tesla in September of 2021 with 18k miles on it has Been in the shop since dec 1. Initial estimate was jan 1 for completion it has now been pushed beyond feb 7. I filled a business resolution to request compensation (paying car note) for the time they have had it. no loaner was provided but they are covering the rental from enterprise. It’s an odd scenario as my car will be in the shop longer than I have possessed it when i get it back all the while paying insurance and car notes. I was told there were 30 people in front of me waiting on a high voltage pack which I doubt all of them have been waiting as long as I have…
ive considered pursing a buy back and purchasing a new s but i was essentially told to purchase a vehicle and let them know they have the vehicle in possession once you get to the trade in portion. The catch is they make you reserve a car before you can even discuss trade in value at this point.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Update: My 2019 raven performance s purchased from tesla in September of 2021 with 18k miles on it has Been in the shop since dec 1. Initial estimate was jan 1 for completion it has now been pushed beyond feb 7. I filled a business resolution to request compensation (paying car note) for the time they have had it. no loaner was provided but they are covering the rental from enterprise. It’s an odd scenario as my car will be in the shop longer than I have possessed it when i get it back all the while paying insurance and car notes. I was told there were 30 people in front of me waiting on a high voltage pack which I doubt all of them have been waiting as long as I have…
ive considered pursing a buy back and purchasing a new s but i was essentially told to purchase a vehicle and let them know they have the vehicle in possession once you get to the trade in portion. The catch is they make you reserve a car before you can even discuss trade in value at this point.
That really sucks man, what was your car in the shop for? HV replacement too?

I’m in the same situation. Can you provide an update? I have a 2019 performance model s raven with 23k miles that suddenly failed after unplugging from a supercharger. Tesla towed it and service manager informed me it would be about a month so 2022 January before they replace it with a remanufactured pack. He says reman packs are good as new as they only reuse the case and all the cells are brand new. they didnt have loaners so they set me up with An Audi q3.

my car is also sitting outside unprotected although they told me they would move it inside.
Same thing happened to me on my Model S 100D. After unplugging it from supercharger, the console went crazy and started throwing up messages and alerts so fast that I couldn't even read. Had to record it on my phone and pause the recording to see what it was saying. Finally, it came back and said that car was undrivable. They towed it to Tesla service center on December 17th. As of today (January 29th) I have no status of the replacement HV Battery. They gave me a Model S 90D but the battery hardly holds any charge and I need to keep charging it. Service said they've seen as long as 2 months delay on replacements. We're pushing 45 days next week. We'll see what happens, but this is ridiculous. I'm rethinking my decision on putting a deposit on Tesla Truck.

Same thing happened to me on my Model S 100D. After unplugging it from supercharger, the console went crazy and started throwing up messages and alerts so fast that I couldn't even read. Had to record it on my phone and pause the recording to see what it was saying. Finally, it came back and said that car was undrivable. They towed it to Tesla service center on December 17th. As of today (January 29th) I have no status of the replacement HV Battery. They gave me a Model S 90D but the battery hardly holds any charge and I need to keep charging it. Service said they've seen as long as 2 months delay on replacements. We're pushing 45 days next week. We'll see what happens, but this is ridiculous. I'm rethinking my decision on putting a deposit on Tesla Truck.
Coincidentally, my S100D went in on the 17th also.. Still waiting, except they wouldnt give me a loaner, said rentaprize rental credit only. Which location is yours at? I noticed in the app that there is no estimate to view, only an estimated completion date of January 31st.

Seem short sided to not make them plug and play . Are you sure, is this documented somewhere? so if that is the case,, unlike i will get a new battery,,, Most likely refurbished. And may take a much longer time to get one.
Ingineerix’s tear down is pretty thorough and shows how significant the redesign is:

Things like the onboard charger that used to be under the rear seats are now housed in the battery itself like the 3/Y. They are fundamentally different.

Reactions: Loui and MP3Mike
Service called today, they told me I will be getting NÉW high voltage battery in about 2 weeks. I ask if this will be the same battery in new refreshed long range. They did not know but said they would find out.
Really? I was told by my regional manager in New Orleans that they only replace the 100kw battery with remanufacted batteries which are “essentially new” he says the only thing that are reused is the packs but the cells and controllers are all new. Are there any updates on your end?

Quick update on Model X P100D: pretty sure mine went in to SC on/around December 10th. Just got an update that they “expect the replacement to arrive sometime in the next two weeks”. The estimated completion date in the app says March 31st, but I bet they put it way out when they don’t exactly know the completion date so they don’t have to keep updating. If they finish in the next two weeks, it will be something like 2 months.

Having a 2018 Model S 75 loaner is better than Enterprise, but there are a handful of features we can’t use, which is mildly annoying. One in particular is that it takes a good 30 seconds to ‘turn on’. I thought there was an option to use a little more electricity when you’re not using the car in order to keep it ready to go, but I can’t find it.

Another one is that I can’t set up home link or access the car from the app on the phone.

There was some other setting where I needed the passcode, I can’t remember what that setting was. Mostly just want our MX back.

Really? I was told by my regional manager in New Orleans that they only replace the 100kw battery with remanufacted batteries which are “essentially new” he says the only thing that are reused is the packs but the cells and controllers are all new. Are there any updates on your end?
Yes , New Orleans regional manager most likely is correct.. I also use them but broke down in Jackson Ms. Update for me is, SC Jackson keeps pushing date out for repair completion they seem like a good group but less experience then NO SC . They say tentatively put pickup at Feb 10th , I think it will keep moving out. How about you?

Great news, I finally got my car back at just over 2 months sitting in the shop. It’s been gone so long its like getting a new car again as it was in the shop longer than i actually owned the vehicle. They seem like a good group of people just understaffed. I received a call from tesla on the morning of the 9th letting me know my car was repaired but not yet ready as the tech wanted to get them to clean it up and put a charge on it before i picked it up. I let them know i would be driving from 2 hours away so just give me the heads up when i should leave. Didnt hear anything for hours so me and my buddy just jumped in the car and drove over when we arrived they gave it a quick wash off and we just hit a super charger. There was no update that they had even received the pack and had started working on it in the app. all in all im just happy to have my car back but communication is a major growth opportunity for them. It sounds like they have a tough situation waiting on the 100kwh batteries the tech says they can get some batteries in 2 days So all depends on the model and size.

Great news, I finally got my car back at just over 2 months sitting in the shop. It’s been gone so long its like getting a new car again as it was in the shop longer than i actually owned the vehicle. They seem like a good group of people just understaffed. I received a call from tesla on the morning of the 9th letting me know my car was repaired but not yet ready as the tech wanted to get them to clean it up and put a charge on it before i picked it up. I let them know i would be driving from 2 hours away so just give me the heads up when i should leave. Didnt hear anything for hours so me and my buddy just jumped in the car and drove over when we arrived they gave it a quick wash off and we just hit a super charger. There was no update that they had even received the pack and had started working on it in the app. all in all im just happy to have my car back but communication is a major growth opportunity for them. It sounds like they have a tough situation waiting on the 100kwh batteries the tech says they can get some batteries in 2 days So all depends on the model and size.
I'm really glad that you had a good experience. Please keep us posted on the condition of the replaced battery. Was it a new HV Battery or a "fixed" one? In either case, I'm sure some warranty applies, but honestly I took care of this car like my own baby and hate to get a repair battery pack that someone else used and charged to 100% every night without having any regards for the caring of the battery unit. I still have my doubts about the 12v battery that probably screwed with the diagnostics. I got my car on 9/2018 and it still has the original 12v battery. Although the "Low Battery" warning messages never came on, my wife's car (Model 3) also went nuts, where the windows were rolling down and up, headlights were flashing and screen was going off and on. It ended up to be the 12v battery and she never received the low battery warning either.

Thanks for giving me some hope. 9 more days marks 2 months of my car being in the shop waiting for the HV Battery and every time I check, the answer is "We have no ETA".

Coincidentally, my S100D went in on the 17th also.. Still waiting, except they wouldnt give me a loaner, said rentaprize rental credit only. Which location is yours at? I noticed in the app that there is no estimate to view, only an estimated completion date of January 31st.
I'm in Phoenix. Still driving the 90D loaner with a really bad battery which drains every 2-3 days. MCU must be 2.0 and it's super slow. All cameras stopped working and I can't do cruise control or auto pilot. Only the backup camera works. Computer reset didn't work, but they have the unit locked down so many featured are locked down. 2 tires went flat and it took 3 days for them to send a repair unit out. My estimate to get my car back was Jan 31. When I called them on Jan 31, they said on it's going to take longer and magically, my estimate was changed to 2/24.