Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC Cold Weather Issues w/ Infrared Pictures of Door Seals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was able to get my hands on an IR camera to troubleshoot the cold drafts I've been getting in my Model X. My service center is 700km away (Calgary, AB) so my cold Model X, which never fully warms up when outside temp is less than -15C, is left to me to troubleshoot.

It seems that internal door seams (FWD and driver door but FWD more so) are getting to -10 to -15C. Obviously, the IR camera can't detect cold drafts, but I would venture to guess if the door seams are getting this cold (-14.3C as per the IR picture), a draft must be present. Would anyone disagree? Does anyone know if this would be typical of most cars?

Some context of the picture:
  • HVAC was ON and set to 27C. All HVAC settings set to AUTO. Rear HVAC was OFF (as it is in AUTO with no rear passengers detected).
  • Car had reached steady-state (it had been driving for almost an hour)
  • Outside temperature was -22C.
  • Wind conditions were minimal.
IR_5028.jpg
DC_5029.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby and aesculus
This is normal, take the camera to the front door of your home and you'll see the same thing. The seal has very little R-value and is apparent in your pictures. You would need to average out the surface areas of similar resistance to get an assebly R-value.

I’d like to see some FLIR owners try to capture images of air infiltration. On an extended cold weather trip in a 2017 Model S, I noticed significant air infiltration through the pillarless window seals. With the HVAC fan up high enough (in biohazard defense mode), the increased cabin pressure was enough to overcome the air infiltration, but on normal settings it was quite noticeable by all passengers.

@SaskBoy do you notice air drafts coming from the door seals on your X?

Bottom of the door, yes. The windier the day, the more it is apparent. I haven't noticed any at the seams of the door windows however.

I don't think an IR camera can pick up drafts or air movement unfortunately.

A smoke stick would show air movement. I doubt there is much air infiltration. I would guess it has more to do with R-values of glass, seals, and an all aluminum body.

Reactions: MP3Mike