Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HVAC fan always running at level 6 even if target temperature is reached. Normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New owner (2 weeks), AP2 hardware.

When I set (reset) the hvac settings to auto, the fan goes to speed level 6 and stays there even if the interior temperature is reached (I check the interior temperature using the mobile app). As a result the temperature continues to go up.

I would expect that when the interior temperature reaches the setting set on the touch screen, it would lower the fan and it would try to keep the temperature steady (as much as possible).

I also made sure both sides (driver,passenger) are set at the same temperature and are in sync.

The same happens when I turn on climate using the mobile app. Even if the setting is set at 70 for example, the interior reaches 80 because the fan does not lower its speed.

Anybody else with similar issue?

When I set (reset) the hvac settings to auto, the fan goes to speed level 6 and stays there even if the interior temperature is reached (I check the interior temperature using the mobile app). As a result the temperature continues to go up.

I would expect that when the interior temperature reaches the setting set on the touch screen, it would lower the fan and it would try to keep the temperature steady (as much as possible).

I also made sure both sides (driver,passenger) are set at the same temperature and are in sync.

The same happens when I turn on climate using the mobile app. Even if the setting is set at 70 for example, the interior reaches 80 because the fan does not lower its speed.

Mine always seems "too high" as well, so i end up turning it down manually once it feels like the car is too warm. I didn't think to check the 'internal temp' via the app...I'll try that and see if I have the same problem

Reactions: pilotSteve
Mine also go at a very high level (but not 6) after reaching temp. I also find that it spritzes the air with AC to keep humidity down but sometimes I don't want that (like when its -10F). I find I have little control over the HVAC though. I'm still waiting to be able to control defrosting and seat warming/steering wheel warming via the app...

FWIW, my fan on auto is always too low for my tastes. Even when the car is in a deep freeze, it seems to go no higher than about 6 ,then tapers back to a measly 2 or 3. All of my previous ICE cars would crank the fan up very high (after the engine warms) to heat up the cabin, but not my Model S.

I have my right scroll wheel set to control the fan speed and use it a lot (scroll for speed, press to put back in Auto).

Did some tests using the API that gives you more details and instant feedback.

--- Fan never goes below 4. It is always between 4 and 6 no matter the different in the target and current temperature

--- The way it controls the temperature is by adjusting the air temperature, not by adjusting the fan speed

--- It never reaches a steady temperature. If the target is set at 74 for example, internal temperature value is moving between 72 and 76 all the time. I am guessing that since the fan speed is not utilized, it is more difficult to keep the temperature steady.

--- It doesn't look like external temperature plays any role on the way the system is behaving.

{
"response": {
"inside_temp": 20,
"outside_temp": 14,
"driver_temp_setting": 21.1,
"passenger_temp_setting": 21.1,
"left_temp_direction": 102,
"right_temp_direction": 102,
"is_auto_conditioning_on": true,
"is_front_defroster_on": 3,
"is_rear_defroster_on": false,
"fan_status": 4,
"is_climate_on": true,
"min_avail_temp": 15,
"max_avail_temp": 28,
"seat_heater_left": 3,
"seat_heater_right": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_left": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_right": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_center": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_right_back": 0,
"seat_heater_rear_left_back": 0,
"smart_preconditioning": false,
"timestamp": 1484259974870
}
}

I have the same issue. New MS 90D December 2016 delivery. Car in service now for other problems and asked them to check the HVAC function. We'll see what service center says.