Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really?

I've looked extensively for evidence to support this statement that you provide with such certainty and have found nothing beyond hearsay and PR - all of it post facto.

Please share with me the source of this thing that we know.

Sure, we can doubt their word just as we can doubt Tesla's. But at least we do have their word and the credentials of their lead guy on this.

It is pointless to compare notes when it is obvious to me both of us are giving the benefit of the doubt to opposite sides of the debate (and reluctant to do so to the other). I guess we have our reasons (different experiences), that's ok. :)

Sure, we can doubt their word just as we can doubt Tesla's. But at least we do have their word and the credentials of their lead guy on this.

It is pointless to compare notes when it is obvious to me both of us are giving the benefit of the doubt to opposite sides of the debate (and reluctant to do so to the other). I guess we have our reasons (different experiences), that's ok. :)
Well he's actually only asking for any evidence of Mobileye mentioning NN before 2014. So far although this has been repeated as fact, there has been absolutely been no evidence posted (when @jimmy_d posted the challenge, I tried looking but failed to find any either). Where did you source your claim for them working on NN since 2012?

He's not doubting their word, just disputing your claim that this was their word.

Reactions: scottf200
Well he's actually only asking for documented evidence of Mobileye mentioning NN before 2014. So far although this has been repeated as fact, there has been absolutely been no evidence posted (when @jimmy_d posted the challenge, I tried looking but failed to find any either). Where did you source your claim for them working on NN since 2012?

I believe the 2012 comes from their presentation I've heard (maybe an offhand remark), but I don't recall where (and have no interest to look for it) - you can dismiss it as without evidence, no problem. My point was, anyway, I think there is plenty of reason to believe MobilEye has been working with NNs for years now. So plenty of reason not to dismiss them overall as a player that has invested in NN, which I think some are doing prematurely.

What happens behind the scenes exactly, hard to say, of course. We shall see.

I believe the 2012 comes from their presentation I've heard (maybe an offhand remark), but I don't recall where (and have no interest to look for it) - you can dismiss it as without evidence, no problem. My point was, anyway, I think there is plenty of reason to believe MobilEye has been working with NNs for years now. So plenty of reason not to dismiss them overall as a player that has invested in NN, which I think some are doing prematurely.

I don't think anyone disputes Mobileye is a player invested heavily in NN now. The dispute is the time frame: did they start working on NN years before everyone else (including Tesla) or did they only start around the same time (2014/2015 transition period)? So far the evidence seems to be point to them starting around the same time, not that they have a significant lead. Happy to be proven wrong though if some evidence is posted.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
I don't think anyone disputes Mobileye is a player invested heavily in NN now. The dispute is the time frame: did they start working on this years before everyone else (including Tesla) or did they only start around the same time (2014/2015)? So far the evidence seems to be point to them starting around the same time, not that they have a significant lead.

Well, we don't really know what exactly Tesla has been doing before 2016. If MobilEye strarted - in seriousness - in 2014, for example, the odds are they might well be ahead of Tesla. I think there is a certain amount of optimism when it comes to the general assessment of Tesla here and a certain amount of pessimism when it comes to the general assessment of MobilEye - and that discrepancy is what I mostly disagree with.

Well he's actually only asking for any evidence of Mobileye mentioning NN before 2014. So far although this has been repeated as fact, there has been absolutely been no evidence posted (when @jimmy_d posted the challenge, I tried looking but failed to find any either). Where did you source your claim for them working on NN since 2012?

He's not doubting their word, just disputing your claim that this was their word.

I don't think anyone disputes Mobileye is a player invested heavily in NN now. The dispute is the time frame: did they start working on NN years before everyone else (including Tesla) or did they only start around the same time (2014/2015 transition period)? So far the evidence seems to be point to them starting around the same time, not that they have a significant lead. Happy to be proven wrong though if some evidence is posted.

GTFO when Elon says something you accept it as the gospel with no shred of evidence what so ever when someone else says something to threathens your fairy view of Tesla, you immediately call them a liar.

I have posted the video of Mobileye saying they started DNN and CNN R&D in 2012 about 4 times in the thread.
There are several videos dating back to Jan 2015 when he says they started research on it in 2012 and not only did research but actually developed ways to run them cost efficiently unlike academia papers which used expensive approaches and fail networks, which is what eyeQ3 is based on which was released in production 2014 which hosted a bunch of deep learning networks. you elon fans are the WORST! worst than even magic leap groupies.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman
GTFO when Elon says something you accept it as the gospel with no shred of evidence what so ever when someone else says something to threathens your fairy view of Tesla, you immediately call them a liar.

I have posted the video of Mobileye saying they started DNN and CNN R&D in 2012 about 4 times in the thread.
There are several videos dating back to Jan 2015 when he says they started research on it in 2012 and not only did research but actually developed ways to run them cost efficiently unlike academia papers which used expensive approaches and fail networks, which is what eyeQ3 is based on which was released in production 2014 which hosted a bunch of deep learning networks. you elon fans are the WORST! worst than even magic leap groupies.
Sorry, I don't tend to watch videos, especially long ones without captions (I'm not always at a computer with audio). I have watched none of the videos you posted. Where in the video did he say it? I'll watch it when I get back to a computer with audio.

Although those would not be references from before 2014-2015, I would accept that as evidence in the absence of other sources.

Last edited:
Well, we don't really know what exactly Tesla has been doing before 2016. If MobilEye strarted - in seriousness - in 2014, for example, the odds are they might well be ahead of Tesla. I think there is a certain amount of optimism when it comes to the general assessment of Tesla here and a certain amount of pessimism when it comes to the general assessment of MobilEye - and that discrepancy is what I mostly disagree with.
@calisnow posted some relevant parts in 2015. Ironically it is Mobileye that talked about Tesla's own learning (unrelated to Mobileye).
Juicy tidbits on Autopilot, deep learning, Tesla's advantage from Nov 3 Mobileye Call
He also pointed to Elon's 2014 investment in Vicarious (from references you can also find his investment in Deepmind). Of course later this evolved into OpenAI in late 2015.
Theory: Autopilot is test project for Musk's investment in AI company Vicarious

But the point was not really all about Tesla. Nvidia also started around the same time frame (they introduced cuDNN in 2014, collaborated with other researchers in 2013 in using GPUs for NN):
Accelerate Machine Learning with the cuDNN Deep Neural Network Library
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2042339/nvidias-gpu-neural-network-tops-google.html

Just an update to this thread. Software v 2017.38 f87c64d5 was updated last night to 2017.40.1 e29b97f. I am out of town (driving MB S550e) for the next couple of weeks so I cannot comment on the changes. If anyone else has received this new 2017.40.1 update, perhaps they can comment on any improvements with HW 2.5 capabilities. The only issue we have had with our MX 100D delivered on 9/29 with the .38 version has been Homelink stops working and music resume stops working. Now that we have received our first over the air update, we really feel like Tesla owners. Have fun dissecting v2017.40.1.

Your statement implies that they have claimed what you claim on their behalf. AFAIK this is false. Please show me where a Mobileye spokesman claims that they have been working on deep learning neural networks since 2012.

Your statement also implies that I am giving Tesla the benefit of the doubt. I believe this is also false. I will be happy to recant any statements where you can show me to be doing this.

I'm not trying to be difficult here. I would sincerely like to know the source of your certainty. Here I am giving you the benefit of the doubt by assuming that such information exists but that I have simply not been able to find it. I don't think it's too much to ask that you share it with me.

That doesn't seem to match the plain english meaning of something "we all know".

But I guess if we repeat it often enough it becomes the truth - eh?

Just an update to this thread. Software v 2017.38 f87c64d5 was updated last night to 2017.40.1 e29b97f. I am out of town (driving MB S550e) for the next couple of weeks so I cannot comment on the changes. If anyone else has received this new 2017.40.1 update, perhaps they can comment on any improvements with HW 2.5 capabilities. The only issue we have had with our MX 100D delivered on 9/29 with the .38 version has been Homelink stops working and music resume stops working. Now that we have received our first over the air update, we really feel like Tesla owners. Have fun dissecting v2017.40.1.

I got it last night and took it out for a bit this afternoon (HW 2.5 Model S - not the one in my pic). It's too soon to tell for sure, but it feels like the low frequency wobble that was pretty horrible in 38 might be gone. I'll post a followup after I get another 100 miles on it.

That doesn't seem to match the plain english meaning of something "we all know".

But I guess if we repeat it often enough it becomes the truth - eh?

It was my genuine believe at the time that MobilEye starting with NN in some capacity in 2012 was common knowledge. I still believe it myself.

When it was disputed and I did not have evidence at hand (how often do you have evidence at hand of things you follow throughout the years and accumulate info on?) I decided to let it be rather than spend time seeking for evidence.