Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, you'll see lots of readable characters. However, those readable characters are not comments. They are strings used by the binary to log messages, open files, request URLS, etc, etc. You'll also see strings used reference symbols in other modules, and to export symbols from the library you're looking at. If you are super lucky, you'll also have debug symbols (like function names for non-exported functions, variables etc). I've never seen source code (eg, comments) included in a binary.

I suspect @verygreen was talking about something interpreted, like shell, perl, or python, etc.

I imagine it's Python.

People in deep learning are obsessed with Python. Now that doesn't mean Tesla can't change it. As far as I can tell python doesn't have to be a strictly interpreted language.

What I find interesting is Tesla left a lot of this stuff readable. Where there doesn't seem to be any attempt at obscuring it. Even when there was already a history of individuals who have gotten root access.

So I have a feeling it was done on purpose. Where the Engineers at Tesla knew this kind of conversation would happen. I imagine one of them is having fun reading these comments. Especially when jimmy_d called them interns. :)

How do you see the comments @verygreen... which programming language is used to implement them given that there are visible comments in the shipping product?
Like I said, it's in the sql schema, a text file depicting database layout.

They also use a bunch of perl and shell scripts with quite interesting comments in places.
Here's a juicy one:
Code:
    # For HW2 we want the board level temp to be above sub-zero, so
    # we're really monitoring board temp here, not Pascal temp.
    read_subzero_sensor=read_mxmtemp
    SUBZERO_SENSOR_TARGET=7
    SUBZERO_SENSOR_NAME="MXM"

# On HW25, we monitor the Pascal temp.
    if [ -n "$(boardid | grep -F Hw:2.5)" ] ; then
        read_subzero_sensor=read_pascal_temp
        SUBZERO_SENSOR_NAME="Pascal"
    fi

# Higher minimum because of differences in cooling.
    if [ -n "$(boardid | grep model_3)" ] ; then
        SUBZERO_SENSOR_TARGET=13
    fi
What does this tell us? It tells us that hw2.5 in S/X cars is different in cooling too (Well, we sort of already knew that from
other evidence).

I suspect @verygreen was talking about something interpreted, like shell, perl, or python, etc.
Bingo!

With Pascal, maybe the Processor architecture is meant:

Grafikprozessor-Architektur | NVIDIA
yes. parker is the cpu+small 256CUDA cores GPU
Pascal is the big separate CUDA chip.

@verygreen do you see any THERM_SHUTDOWN triggers?
these are unlikely in any scripts ;)

But if the board is more than 88C on startup it refuses to start and waits for cooldown:

Code:
        if [ ${MXMTEMP} -gt 88 ] || [ ${PARKERTEMP} -gt 88 ] || [ ${PASCALTEMP} -gt 88 ] ; then
            echo "Board is too hot to start AP services" > /dev/kmsg
They then proceed to wait for the temp to drop below 80 at least.

Ultrasonics definitely work at speed. I see it detect vehicles and curbs and barriers while driving. Less than 10 feet seems accurate but why upgrade them from ap1 if it's useless? I can see how it doesn't work well but it seems to operate and should be useful for parking autonomously regardless.

Ultrasonics definitely work at speed. I see it detect vehicles and curbs and barriers while driving. Less than 10 feet seems accurate but why upgrade them from ap1 if it's useless? I can see how it doesn't work well but it seems to operate and should be useful for parking autonomously regardless.
I bet those are the side sensors that work. Not the front ones where the air pressure would be when you are driving at speed.

Perhaps he meant the front sonars?

• Helpful
Reactions: croman