Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW2.5 capabilities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn’t it seeing the semi as two cars?

Perhaps, but look at the back to back clip in "Don't Blink Autopilot" and you see how a truck pulling across doesn't show up on the IC despite it being pretty close.... this is what is fascinating to me... the first video clip was unremarkable to me because I thought AP didn't see the truck, but now I don't think that is the case at all.

Something changes in rain and low light... perhaps its the reflection off the pavement that gives AP more confidence? Or perhaps rain greatly de-emphasizes the use of radar? I couldn't activate my AP the other day because of snow in Austin and it kept saying, "reduced radar capability, unable to activate" or something to that effect...

the only things I see at 8 sec mark is the warning about reduced speed which is natural, you only turned on AS at 5 seconds and you were more than 5mph over the speed limit, so it warned you that it's going to reduce the speed. AS becomes available at 3 sec mark anyway.
So given that you just turned AS on, what sort of takeover request did you expect?

The other thing at 8 sec mark is it seems to be showing a car in your lane that's not there because it confuses an oncoming car in a lane to your left for a car in your lane? It kind of blinks on and off until finally there's somebody crossing into your line and then disappears as they turn left.

the only things I see at 8 sec mark is the warning about reduced speed which is natural, you only turned on AS at 5 seconds and you were more than 5mph over the speed limit, so it warned you that it's going to reduce the speed. AS becomes available at 3 sec mark anyway.
So given that you just turned AS on, what sort of takeover request did you expect?

The other thing at 8 sec mark is it seems to be showing a car in your lane that's not there because it confuses an oncoming car in a lane to your left for a car in your lane? It kind of blinks on and off until finally there's somebody crossing into your line and then disappears as they turn left.

So, not the reduction in speed warning, which is the regular thing that happens when speed limit changes, but the red flash and audio alert? I can't figure out what triggered it. Normally, it asks me to take the wheel if an alert happens, but perhaps not always... I guess I'm wondering if it did see something that wasn't there? Is there anything to the idea that rain may cause the radar to be used less and not more? Like @TaoJones said, I'm wondering why AP2.0 is at it's best in the rain?

So, not the reduction in speed warning, which is the regular thing that happens when speed limit changes, but the red flash and audio alert? I can't figure out what triggered it. Normally, it asks me to take the wheel if an alert happens, but perhaps not always... I guess I'm wondering if it did see something that wasn't there? Is there anything to the idea that rain may cause the radar to be used less and not more? Like @TaoJones said, I'm wondering why AP2.0 is at it's best in the rain?
I believe the alert and slowdown were because the stopped vehicle in the oncoming lane was briefly thought to be in your lane. If you look at the projected lane lines in the instrument panel when the alert sounds, you can see the stopped vehicle shown just inside the left lane-line. When the lane lines shifted so the stopped vehicle was no longer thought within them, your vehicle started speeding up again.

Reactions: buttershrimp
I believe the alert and slowdown were because the stopped vehicle in the oncoming lane was briefly thought to be in your lane. If you look at the projected lane lines in the instrument panel when the alert sounds, you can see the stopped vehicle shown just inside the left lane-line. When the lane lines shifted so the stopped vehicle was no longer thought within them, your vehicle started speeding up again.
On re-watching, I see that your vehicle kept slowing because of the slow-moving vehicle in your lane ahead. You didn't start speeding up again until it had turned out of your lane. If it had not thought the stopped vehicle was in your lane, I think you would have slowed down for the slower vehicle further ahead in your lane, but may not have gotten the audible alert -- since it had enough distance to slow down safely within the braking limits it is willing to use without involving the driver.

Blader, welcome back from your Russian Kremlin science camp! Sorry to hear that you weren't allowed to participate this time in the trolling triple jump. Did you get a chance to get back to Michigan to check out the suburb neighborhood?

Oh Blader, pathetic, trolling, useless blader.. I don't know what you look like, but I'm positive you have bad breath. Most people have ignored you so far, but I don't believe in doing that. So I'm happy to let you know you're a tool anytime you come by.

If this was any other competent forum you would be BANNED 100x over.
Your stupid antics are not funny.
You have derailed dozens of thread and filled it with your stupid subliminal videos which has nothing to do with the thread title.

There were good info that was released over the last week (which was why i came to post) like Elon talking about using a map of "stop signs and traffic lights", new chip, 100x claim, agi in 5 years claim, and other things and we can't even discuss it because of you.

Unlike others, I will not be brainwashed by the likes of u!

Your stupid antics are not funny

Actually, they are pretty funny!

Take it easy, this is a site for enthusiasts, not a forum for proving who is right, and who is wrong. We are all disappointed in the progress on FSD and AP2 this year. We are all hopeful that EAP and FSD are around the corner. We all agree that incremental progress is being made. In the meantime, enjoy the ride and being part of the experience!

Actually, they are pretty funny!

Take it easy, this is a site for enthusiasts, not a forum for proving who is right, and who is wrong. We are all disappointed in the progress on FSD and AP2 this year. We are all hopeful that EAP and FSD are around the corner. We all agree that incremental progress is being made. In the meantime, enjoy the ride and being part of the experience!
Agree with everything except I'm not disappointed with 2017. I think Tesla did a bang up awesome job developing AP2. One can be disappointed in Elon's public timeframe promises but don't confuse that with the actual speed of the products development. I will join the "dispppointed in the product" camp if we do not see new feature releases through 2018. I don't even care if they're buggy and gradually grow more stable.

If this was any other competent forum you would be BANNED 100x over.
Your stupid antics are not funny.
You have derailed dozens of thread and filled it with your stupid subliminal videos which has nothing to do with the thread title.

There were good info that was released over the last week (which was why i came to post) like Elon talking about using a map of "stop signs and traffic lights", new chip, 100x claim, agi in 5 years claim, and other things and we can't even discuss it because of you.

Unlike others, I will not be brainwashed by the likes of u!

I think they're funny. I think your reaction is funny. Spasiba comrade!

• Funny
Check out 0:08 mark of the original video... those ain't sunglass reflections! Dare I say, I think I made a good video! Maybe it's the purple drank... maybe it's the sunglasses... maybe it was memphis. The alert after 0:08 didn't require me to take over, and that was really the only thing I distinctly remember being impressed by while driving...

@verygreen, where the hell are the other two of the tech triumvirate? (@lunitiks and @JimmyD )? throw in calisnow and it's pretty much a party.

I'll be there soon - I'm still workin tonight.' Gotta get the hell outta this snow. Maybe a road trip to Austin is in order.

• Love
Agree. AP2 has much bigger problems than image spoofing attacks. The whole line of discussion is just ridiculous. If you want to create havoc on the highways there are a million trivial ways to do it, all of which will land you in jail. Nobody is going to bother with exotic vulnerabilities except to prove a stupid point and gather the attention of clickbait craving future malware victims.

Well I wasn't really thinking about introducing image artifacts as a method of attack, but rather an accidental byproduct of heating the lens (and therefore, the sensor). Will the cameras be robust against such (internal) interference?

Well I wasn't really thinking about introducing image artifacts as a method of attack, but rather an accidental byproduct of heating the lens (and therefore, the sensor). Will the cameras be robust against such (internal) interference?

Of course it's hard to be sure about anything without trying it, but the dominant source of degradation in a camera image from heat is (not surprisingly) thermal noise. Thermal noise can be the SNR limiter for a lot of sensors so the SNR of the sensor could degrade. That said imaging NNs are insanely resistant to noise - it's the basic reason why NNs can do stuff like work in snow and rain and fog, resist dust, lens flare, and other sources of glare much better than heuristic approaches to image processing. Normally one wouldn't expect to see a measurable effect on the performance of an NN from a slight change in the thermal noise floor of an operating sensor.

So remember how the second ape node in hw2.5 was doing nothing? As of 17.48 that's no longer the case (possibly as of 17.46 too since I don't have access to it).
Now it gets a copy of ape firmware and runs parts of it - those parts are fairly limited at the moment (nothing driving-related still), but all the foundation is there to start populating more stuff there.
The way it's done makes it quite a hassle to actually root ape-b and even ape-a too and some other changes in 17.48 make the whole rooting business a lot more involved.

As such if you are aiming for root that does not involve soldering, do it on 17.44 or prior (i.e. now, if you have not yet installed anything beyond 17.44)