Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 SR+, previously had requested mobile service for FSD Upgrade and it was kicked to a SC with a $1K estimate.

After seeing this thread I was able to make a request and get a $0 estimate, also showing up as $0 Customer Pre-Pay as a line item in my estimate. Originally scheduled for Monday the 10th, but I was able to reschedule for Friday the 7th (same SC). Will report back with how it goes...

Is it right to assume SC will provide either a loaner or rideshare credits, or should I plan to rent a car? Thanks.

Reactions: Wennfred
2019 SR+, previously had requested mobile service for FSD Upgrade and it was kicked to a SC with a $1K estimate.

After seeing this thread I was able to make a request and get a $0 estimate, also showing up as $0 Customer Pre-Pay as a line item in my estimate. Originally scheduled for Monday the 10th, but I was able to reschedule for Friday the 7th (same SC). Will report back with how it goes...

Is it right to assume SC will provide either a loaner or rideshare credits, or should I plan to rent a car? Thanks.
how did you request for $0 if they told you $1k in the first place?

how did you request for $0 if they told you $1k in the first place?
Sorry, the way I worded it was confusing. In the past (like a month ago) I requested an FSD HW 3 upgrade and was quoted 1K. I ended up cancelling because I didn't think it was worth it. Then a few days ago I submitted a new service request after seeing this thread and received a 0$ quote.

2019 LR RWD.

Just got back from my SC appointment. Like you, I had the $0 prepay. When I got to the SC this morning, they said they were going to charge me $1,700! I told them my estimate was at $0 for a week already and my friend had gotten his done for free with mobile service as well. The rep went to talk to a manager and came back out saying they had me charged for something else, but the HW2.5 - HW3.0 computer upgrade would be free of charge. They ran out of loaners cars and would have my car for 2 days because they were behind. But they did give me $100 uber credits for each day they will have my car.

• Informative
Reactions: Wennfred and KenC
2019 LR RWD.

Just got back from my SC appointment. Like you, I had the $0 prepay. When I got to the SC this morning, they said they were going to charge me $1,700! I told them my estimate was at $0 for a week already and my friend had gotten his done for free with mobile service as well. The rep went to talk to a manager and came back out saying they had me charged for something else, but the HW2.5 - HW3.0 computer upgrade would be free of charge. They ran out of loaners cars and would have my car for 2 days because they were behind. But they did give me $100 uber credits for each day they will have my car.
Nice which SC did you go to?

so after 14 pages do we have any pattern/ region or is it random free/ $1K?
Just from occasionally checking in this thread, I think this probably is just confusion by individual SCs over the part/order code. There probably is a part of the retrofit that is free and a part that is paid and the SCs are just getting confused which is which.

Just from occasionally checking in this thread, I think this probably is just confusion by individual SCs over the part/order code. There probably is a part of the retrofit that is free and a part that is paid and the SCs are just getting confused which is which.

yes I saw that in my $1K invoice. It seems the part or labor is $1k. Surprised they haven't caught on yet.

Well everyone here's a big update for my experience...

Before i saw this thread i actually went in to SC because i was having green static on my sentry so after 2 visits, they decided to replace my repeaters and front camera under warranty (which i got the new version without the halo blinker problem)

Then when i saw this thread i decided to give it a try and long story short after about 8 different SC i've tried, i got one that gave me a $0 customer pre pay. Dropped it off for 2 days and it was done. 12v was also replaced under warranty along with a "PAID" stamp on my invoice

Now someone on here mentioned that it could be a coding mixup therefore some people on here are getting it for free and I agree with that. I tried many times and many different sc with most saying it’ll cost 1k however I got two sc that gave me $0. I believe it comes down to whoever it building your ticket for the sc to see. If they mix up a code that says you’re eliable to upgrade for free then you’re in! So it comes down to that person if they carelessly type in the wrong code without checking if either you bought fsd or paid the 1k. So those of you who didn’t get it for free, keep trying! What’s the worst that can happen? You can cancel and move onto the next one.

As for my free upgrade, sure it was a month long venture but it worked plus with the upgraded cameras I’m happy that my 2018 is now a bit more caught up to the new fleet. Good luck everyone

• Informative
I dropped mine off Friday afternoon and was told it would be done that night. Saturday and Sunday rolled around with no word. No word today (Monday & Columbus/Indigenous People day) and I still haven't receive comms from them, but the estimated completed date did update to Tomorrow (Tuesday) morning @9:30AM (in the app). Problem is they only gave me a rideshare voucher that expired Saturday night 😢 Have messaged Tesla service daily as I live an hour and a half away for more rideshare credits with 0 response so far...

Last edited:
I dropped mine off Friday afternoon and was told it would be done that night. Saturday and Sunday rolled around with no word. No word today (Monday & Columbus/Indigenous People day) and I still haven't receive comms from them, but the estimated completed date did update to Tomorrow (Tuesday) morning @9:30AM (in the app). Problem is they only gave me a rideshare voucher that expired Saturday night 😢 Have messaged Tesla service daily as I live an hour and a half away for more rideshare credits with 0 response so far...

Moral of the story is to drop of early in the week

• Funny
Reactions: TenKOhms and KenC
my SC was very communicative actually lol it was a first for me

my SC was very communicative actually lol it was a first for me
Lucky, mine wasn't!

So update, @5PM Monday I got a message saying my service was complete and vehicle was ready for pickup. Checked the final invoice and yup, $0 final cost and marked paid. Ride share voucher still expired (expired Sat night) and they didn't respond to my messages asking to extend the ride share voucher. Unfortunately I have to be at work tomorrow, so will have to bite the bullet and pay the $100 uber ride out of pocket (50 miles away), which still isn't bad considering some people paid 1K for the FSD HW3 upgrade. Checked in app and FSD subscription is now an option if I choose.

FYI Peabody, MA SC

Last edited:
  • Informative