Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is the "Power" in the service mode camera section?

IMG_0685.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Amr Wahbi
So I just got a 2018 M3 with the used ev tax for 20k w/49k miles white interior etc looks amazing. I saw last year many got the 2.5 to 3.0 upgrade for free I know it was $1k at one point so I thought I’d give it a shot. At first I was quoted $1098! I deleted that from the app and asked in the message thread again about it. They updated it to $0! Lovely they are still doing this, also I noticed under “something else” they replaced the 12v battery at no charge as well! Nice, is this normal? I could just be late lol

Attachments

• IMG_2841.png
    IMG_2841.png
    88.8 KB · Views: 38
got the free upgrade for unclear reasons in Sept 2022... now looking forward to the free FSD trial next month!
Did your upgrade include both the AP3 "full self driving computer" *and* the newer MCU?
You won't likely get any FSD software pushed without the newer MCU installed as well. It's possible, but exceedingly rare. I've heard of only 2 people I think, across this board and Reddit who've reported ever getting FSD at all, on a car with the FSD computer but the older MCU1.

• Disagree
Reactions: gaswalla
Did your upgrade include both the AP3 "full self driving computer" *and* the newer MCU?
You won't likely get any FSD software pushed without the newer MCU installed as well. It's possible, but exceedingly rare. I've heard of only 2 people I think, across this board and Reddit who've reported ever getting FSD at all, on a car with the FSD computer but the older MCU1.

This thread is in the model 3 subforum, and was discussing model 3s. There are no model 3s with MCU1, so perhaps this was ment to be posted in another thread somewhere?

Reactions: seenhear
Hi @Stayfly2407 what do you mean you deleted it from the App after you got the $1000 quote? Do you mean you delete it from the “Services” section?

I got $1000 quotes and asked if I can get complimentary upgrade but they said no and only if you have FSD purchased previously

Hi @Stayfly2407 what do you mean you deleted it from the App after you got the $1000 quote? Do you mean you delete it from the “Services” section?

I got $1000 quotes and asked if I can get complimentary upgrade but they said no and only if you have FSD purchased previously

What year is your model 3? HW3.0 started coming out middle April 2019, I missed it as my M3 is March 2019

Tesla originally promised that any Model 3 with FSD would get free upgrade to HW 3.0. Si if you had purchased with the car or after the initial sale, they would update the computer.
They then threw a free trial out there and it became an issues, so they allowed anyone to get the upgrade for free.

This has been a few years ago and I don't know if they continued the program, but from the recent posts, it seems so.

Order it and just ask the question via the app.

Tesla originally promised that any Model 3 with FSD would get free upgrade to HW 3.0. Si if you had purchased with the car or after the initial sale, they would update the computer.
They then threw a free trial out there and it became an issues, so they allowed anyone to get the upgrade for free.

This has been a few years ago and I don't know if they continued the program, but from the recent posts, it seems so.

Order it and just ask the question via the app.
Not if you read the thread. Some people got it free because the SC seemed to have put in the wrong code, but then eventually they caught on and then it was ended. There is no official policy that it is free for people without paid FSD, just that you have to gamble on the SC entering the free code (you can see even in the recent post they first put the paid one, then the person retried and got the free one).