Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3.0 upgrade for basic AP owners now free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see it's been a while since someone has updated this. I asked for the HW3 upgrade and was quoted $1000, however on the review section of the estimate I have the option to delete the $1000 entry. Not sure if it would be added back on if I deleted it.

For another data point I have 2018 model 3 with EAP.

what is clean and lube? I might do that too.

Was able to get them to give me a 0 invoice for the HW upgrade (June 2018 with EAP) but now my one day install is approaching 5 days due to firmware issues :(

No loaner or uber credits. Thankfully have another car.

might be worth it if you get it for free OTD. But I'd like to get a loaner too. esp when I have road trips since i have a SR @ max 190 miles :(

what did you put in request?

might be worth it if you get it for free OTD. But I'd like to get a loaner too. esp when I have road trips since i have a SR @ max 190 miles :(

About three weeks ago. Kept getting pushed back for part availability (including one time when they forgot to tell me and I showed up anyways) but they took it in this past Monday and I was informed yesterday they are having issues with updating the firmware and were in contact with corporate for a path forward.

They added a 12v battery replacement but at 5 years old it was time anyways so I let them push it on me (Besides $120 for the cost is less then I'd be able to source one from elsewhere) and I had them replace the air filters. So total cost OTD was $172 ... I can't imagine them adding the $1k post pickup.

Sorry .. I missread your ask as when did you put in your request.

I made a service request asking for the HW3 upgrade. They sent it back with a 0 estimate and the 12v battery added (which as mentioned above was 5 years old so was time anyways).

• Informative
Reactions: vickh
So if a used 2018 was originally purchased with FSD, the upgrade to HW 3 is free? What if a used was purchased with EAP but not FSD. If you add FSD, would the free upgrade still apply?
I purchased a 2019 M3LR a couple of months ago with 2.5 hardware and was just told that I would have to pay $1000 to upgrade since I am not the original owner.

I purchased a 2019 M3LR a couple of months ago with 2.5 hardware and was just told that I would have to pay $1000 to upgrade since I am not the original owner.
This has nothing to do with being a 2nd owner.
Tesla's policy is that if someone paid for FSD on that car, HW3 is free. This does not include subscriptions.
If you did not pay for FSD, then you have to pay for the upgrade, and $1K has been their price for a while now.
Some people got it for free as indicated in this thread, but that always seemed to be some unofficial situation. Lots of people never got it free, so it's not unique to you or being a 2nd owner.

Your options are to either keep trying for free, pay the $1K, sue them like I did, or just live with 2.5.