Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 2019.16.2 Waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the criteria to get a firmware update? Some intern in Fremont randomly selects who get to be updated per day?

I don't think anyone who knows for sure posts in this forum. But it seems like firmware rollouts are at least partially random. I suspect the low rate of HW3 cars getting 2019.16.x is not random though. Seems to be a far lower rate than HW2.5 cars.

That said, I haven't seen anyone post the reason and I suspect we won't. It could be that they have seen a bug in the small number of HW3 cars they've rolled it out to and are waiting on another point release before they push it to more. It could just be that they are waiting for HW3 cars and rolling very slowly to them out of an abundance of caution because it's so new. Maybe something else. Only the Tesla engineers know for sure. They have the data and probably won't share that.

It's fun to speculate though.

I don't think anyone who knows for sure posts in this forum. But it seems like firmware rollouts are at least partially random. I suspect the low rate of HW3 cars getting 2019.16.x is not random though. Seems to be a far lower rate than HW2.5 cars.

That said, I haven't seen anyone post the reason and I suspect we won't. It could be that they have seen a bug in the small number of HW3 cars they've rolled it out to and are waiting on another point release before they push it to more. It could just be that they are waiting for HW3 cars and rolling very slowly to them out of an abundance of caution because it's so new. Maybe something else. Only the Tesla engineers know for sure. They have the data and probably won't share that.

It's fun to speculate though.
Good answer

What's the criteria to get a firmware update? Some intern in Fremont randomly selects who get to be updated per day?

First it's based on need. West coast was the first to get Sentry and North was the first to get cold-weather updates.

After that it appears to be random, but it seems that those on wi-fi get a slight priority and possibly those of us who paid for FSD up front.

I remember reading (and my own experience hasn't proven otherwise) is that the model 3 has three systems. You have the MCU . You have the drivetrain system which handles all your driving logic and battery management. Then there's the autopilot computer which handles autopilot and its sensors.

So you've already figured out that the autopilot computer is the one doing the encoding for the dashcam and sentry modes. This is because it turns out the MCU actually doesn't have connections to those cameras! I believe the MCU only has a connection to the backup camera, which makes sense since it has to be displayed onscreen for the driver.

Interestingly.. I think Tesla could probably add the backup camera to sentry mode but not dashcam. This would be because I don't think the MCU could encode the backup camera while you're driving and using the MCU.

This separation is also the reason that a birds eye-view parking mode can't come through a software patch (well the car lacks the necessary cameras in the first place) But either way- most of the cameras likely can't be displayed in real-time by the MCU because they're routed to autopilot only... UNLESS the bandwidth from autopilot computer to the MCU is fast enough to stream video.

The current MCU in model 3s and new S/X is an intel atom system apparently the E3950. Old S/X used nvidia tegra. Both run linux.
The AP Computer get feeds from all the cameras, and can actually push live feed to the display. Tesla reportedly enabled this during investor autonomy day, which is why they didn't allow folks to video the rides. Gali mentioned it on his YT breakdown of the ride.

Glad I found this thread, you feel my pain. I have an early 5/19 door tag date, and it was delivered with 12.1.2 firmware (with nary an update since). I "assume" I'm on HW3. According to TeslaFi, 2/3 of their fleet is on 16.2 now. I've been waiting by the phone. Guess I can hold off until the clever coders at Tesla iron out a couple more bugs. Maybe we'll be the first to get teleport mode.

I have a P3D that was ordered mid-April and delivered on 5/6 in Los Angeles. It came with 12.1.2 and is currently in Tesla Service (for panel gaps) and they confirmed I have HW3 aka FSD computer.

Since I haven't gotten it back yet, I don't know if 16.2 was pushed to the car or not, but I would suspect no based on all the other forums I am reading.

The AP Computer get feeds from all the cameras, and can actually push live feed to the display. Tesla reportedly enabled this during investor autonomy day, which is why they didn't allow folks to video the rides. Gali mentioned it on his YT breakdown of the ride.
Oh wow... I guess the bandwidth is there for live feeds. Good to know! Thanks for informing us.

It'd be great if the side cameras would activate on turn signals like on the Civic. That feature always seemed super useful.

Honestly kind of afraid how the MCU would handle multiple video feeds, their platform seems so fragile at times...

So quick question: I don’t have the option for No-Confirmation NoA because I’m on HW3.

That said, this morning, driving south from Seattle on I5 using NoA, the car auto-signaled to take the Martin Luther King exit toward Renton, and took the exit by itself. I was a bit surprised by this... it’s never done this before. No message popped up on the screen telling me to signal (like it normally does). It just did it - signaled, took exit, turned signal off - by itself.

Am I missing something? What happened here?

Last edited:
So quick question: I don’t have the option for No-Confirmation NoA because I’m on HW3.

That said, this morning, driving south from Seattle on I5 using NoA, the car auto-signaled to take the Martin Luther King exit toward Renton, and took the exit by itself. I was a bit surprised by this... it’s never done this before. No message popped up on the screen telling me to signal (like it normally does). It just did it - signaled, took exit, turned signal off - by itself.

Am I missing something? What happened here?
NoA has done this since it came out. The new bit that we with HW3 are still missing are unconfirmed *lane changes*. NoA will still take exits and freeway interchanges on its own.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinM3LR