Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

HW3 upgrade waiting room: All FSD Tesla’s

Has anyone had their HW3 upgrade scheduled/completed yet???

• Yes

Votes: 96 16.2%
  • No

Votes: 498 83.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have MCU1 and HW2.5. How did you order MCU2? I saw the ranger swap my screen out and the process seemed pretty straightforward.
Tesla does not condone the retrofit to mcu2. I did it myself by changing pinouts on plugs in the back and the required migration of files from old to new mcu. Tesla has the protocols in place for doing the retrofit but they will never offer it.

Tesla does not condone the retrofit to mcu2. I did it myself by changing pinouts on plugs in the back and the required migration of files from old to new mcu. Tesla has the protocols in place for doing the retrofit but they will never offer it.
Also, i have not seen ap2.5 and mcu1 to date. I wonder if you can send me a config foto. In diagnostics mode, click on cfg page and scroll down and send a pic. Or anyway you can get that info. I would love to see it. Or pm me so i can connect to the car and check things myself. I am very curious now cause that would mean i can ipg my 2.0 to a 2.5

How does one know what HW version their vehicle has?
i just connect to toolbox to find that out for each car i work on.

The rule is, if you have MCU1, and have only front cam, that means MCU1 with AP1.
If you have MCU1, and have side cameras, you have MCU1 and AP2.
If you have MCU2, you have MCU2 and AP2.5, unless your car was manufactured in second quarter of 2019, where you have a 50/50 chance of having MCU2 with AP3.

Some people use the spec sheet page of the tesla website under your account to get that info. its imbedded in hidden html so you have to click on view source for the page and find it way down where your car config shows up as a list. there is somewhere this is explained but i forgot exactly where.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: JeffnReno and KJD

The rule is, if you have MCU1, and have only front cam, that means MCU1 with AP1.
If you have MCU2, you have MCU2 and AP2.5, unless your car was manufactured in second quarter of 2019, where you have a 50/50 chance of having MCU2 with AP3.

Some people use the spec sheet page of the tesla website under your account to get that info. its imbedded in hidden html so you have to click on view source for the page and find it way down where your car config shows up as a list. there is somewhere this is explained but i forgot exactly where.
That's not a very accurate rule as AP2.5 with MCU1 was available from August 2017 until March 2018.

Also, you can currently look at the codec for sentry videos to determine if the car has AP2, AP2.5 or AP3 hardware. AP2 won't have any recordings. AP2.5 will have H.264 and AP3 has H.265.

Are you referring to this page? I looked at the source code but nothing stuck out

upload_2019-7-1_10-54-21.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-1_10-47-15.png
    upload_2019-7-1_10-47-15.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 105
Are you referring to this page? I looked at the source code but nothing stuck out

View attachment 425317
I am but i dont remember exactly where its located. If you search for how to check what ap version my tesla has you will find tutorials ok this.

Also, Morrison, do you happen to have such a car? I would love to connect to it and get the config out of it so i can upgrade my ap2.0 to 2.5 or even 3 once available. I alreqdy upgraded mcu1 to mcu2 on this car.

I am but i dont remember exactly where its located. If you search for how to check what ap version my tesla has you will find tutorials ok this.

Also, Morrison, do you happen to have such a car? I would love to connect to it and get the config out of it so i can upgrade my ap2.0 to 2.5 or even 3 once available. I alreqdy upgraded mcu1 to mcu2 on this car.
How did you upgrade mcu1 to mcu2? Was this done at a service center?

For those who have purchased cars recently with the current version of "Autopilot" and AP2.5 hardware, does anyone know if the 6k post-delivery upgrade provides an over-the-air upgrade to NoA / Summon / etc? I presume this would be the case and not explicitly require the AP3.0 hardware, since this all functions at the 2.5 levels.

Additionally, it seems that if one were to buy FSD for 6k post-delivery that this would put us in the same bucket with everyone else: waiting for retrofits.

In speculating this purchase, I just wanted to know if anyone actually had experience in upgrading post-delivery and what their experience was at the software level. I think we all assume one way or another that AP3.0 hardware is better, and that we will get it eventually, but I'm just looking to see if the software upgrade is immediate.

Reactions: JeffnReno
For those who have purchased cars recently with the current version of "Autopilot" and AP2.5 hardware, does anyone know if the 6k post-delivery upgrade provides an over-the-air upgrade to NoA / Summon / etc? I presume this would be the case and not explicitly require the AP3.0 hardware, since this all functions at the 2.5 levels.

Additionally, it seems that if one were to buy FSD for 6k post-delivery that this would put us in the same bucket with everyone else: waiting for retrofits.

In speculating this purchase, I just wanted to know if anyone actually had experience in upgrading post-delivery and what their experience was at the software level. I think we all assume one way or another that AP3.0 hardware is better, and that we will get it eventually, but I'm just looking to see if the software upgrade is immediate.

You will not need HW3 prior to your FSD features being active. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't believe you will actually need a firmware update. The features are there, they just have to make them available to you which I'm sure would be done remotely.

Oh, and if your car was built after about 4/8 you more than likely already have HW3.

I purchased FSD post-delivery a week ago. I have a Standard Plus w/ AP2.5 HW and Autopilot included (Tesla support chat confirmed with VIN and H.264 dashcam footage).
I purchased it on my desktop and 5 minutes later I went out to my car (which is connected to my home's Wifi) and summon/NoA (beta) was available. My car had already updated to 2019.20.4.2 a few days earlier and I'm assuming the features were simply "enabled" without the need for the car to download more content. I did not receive any message on my phone Tesla app about a software update and no mention on the car's display.

2 days after purchase, "Full Self Driving" was added to my Model 3's account management page as a "Post-Delivery Option".
I'm eager to receive the HW3.0 update but so far NoA and summon meet my current expectations.

In summary, in my case (Car connected to wifi at home, 2019.20.4.2 pre-installed, ADVANCED update option selected) the activation of summon and NoA was pretty much instantaneous and did not seem to require an additional download..

You will not need HW3 prior to your FSD features being active. Also, I could be wrong, but I don't believe you will actually need a firmware update. The features are there, they just have to make them available to you which I'm sure would be done remotely.

Oh, and if your car was built after about 4/8 you more than likely already have HW3.

Thanks for that. I don't have HW3 despite build date of June, verified by the TeslaCam H.264 videos. Quite a few threads about this, so it's pretty common that unless you specifically bought FSD with your purchase after 4/8 you most likely didn't get HW3. :( And even then, maybe ...

I purchased FSD post-delivery a week ago. I have a Standard Plus w/ AP2.5 HW and Autopilot included (Tesla support chat confirmed with VIN and H.264 dashcam footage).
I purchased it on my desktop and 5 minutes later I went out to my car (which is connected to my home's Wifi) and summon/NoA (beta) was available. My car had already updated to 2019.20.4.2 a few days earlier and I'm assuming the features were simply "enabled" without the need for the car to download more content. I did not receive any message on my phone Tesla app about a software update and no mention on the car's display.

2 days after purchase, "Full Self Driving" was added to my Model 3's account management page as a "Post-Delivery Option".
I'm eager to receive the HW3.0 update but so far NoA and summon meet my current expectations.

In summary, in my case (Car connected to wifi at home, 2019.20.4.2 pre-installed, ADVANCED update option selected) the activation of summon and NoA was pretty much instantaneous and did not seem to require an additional download..

Perfect. Thank you so much for that validation... so it appears that puts you in the same bucket as everyone else - you are going to eventually get a HW3.0 retrofit, but you get all the software features available on 2.5 (reasonably) immediately upon purchase.

So here's another question which has been bugging me lately...

If one gets an upgrade from HW2.5 to HW3.0 and then they get in a completely hypothetical wreck which damages only the FSD computer system, does insurance replace the part that's in the car (HW3.0) or the part that came with the car (HW2.5)?

Or rather, if I were to phrase this backward, if I were in the same hypothetical accident and I have HW2.5 right now and never got the FSD option, would I get HW3.0 anyway as a replacement since that is effectively a retrofit and the "new standard"?

I guess I'm blessed with ignorance on how car insurance part management works, but I imagine that if I were a repair place they have a standard menu of parts for Model 3's and sometime after 4/8 Tesla probably changed the standard to be HW3.0. Sorry if this is the wrong place for this topic but I think it's slightly relevant to the thread.

I'm just curious if there's any real downside to "post delivery options" for FSD and the HW3 upgrade and wondering if it's possible to pretty much lose HW3.0 in an accident since it's a post-delivery option.

Tesla seems to favor replacing like for like, even if a newer option exists. Only what is required to fulfill required functionality. That said, if they had to replace your APE and you had pre-purchased FSD, they *might* replace it with HW3.

This is of course purely hypothetical, as if you were actually in an accident that caused significant damage to a small box buried inside the passenger compartment, not only would the rest of the car be very likely also destroyed, but the outlook for you personally being 'significantly damaged' would be uncomfortably likely as well.

Reactions: b t c