Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only drawback would be the efficiency,

That's.... that's kind of a key point.... until the H2 deficit it filled your H2 car is just an expensive CH4 car. Why not just use CH4? It's cheaper and there are more filling options.

Unlike FCEVs you can even fill up at home. The only thing H2 is better for is greenwashing;

10512745.jpg

Reactions: mblakele
Japan is in an interesting position for energy policy. But H2 isn't necessarily the answer. After all Japan has a lot of potential energy from renewables: geothermal, as well as the usual suspects of solar, wind, and hydro. Here's a relatively modest proposal that doesn't rely on H2 — from way back in 2011, so we could probably do better today.

Can Japan Go 100% Renewable by 2050? - Our World

"To meet this target, however, Japan would also be required to reduce its electricity consumption by 50% compared to 2010 levels through energy efficiency and power saving measures."

"To meet this target, however, Japan would also be required to reduce its electricity consumption by 50% compared to 2010 levels through energy efficiency and power saving measures."

It's all fungible... they're not going to win any points if they reduce domestic energy use by 1 unit but import 3 more because they're using inefficient transportation.....

BEVs were laughed at for 100 years, yet they became a thing.

Fcells could be a zero emission alternative for those who can't charge at home and for renewable energy storage which batteries can't provide in scale as of now. The only drawback would be the efficiency, prices come down with scale.

You may be presenting that idea honestly, but to me it sounds like more pie in the sky.
  • HFCEV prices come down with scale: not proven
  • HFCEV zero emission: not until significant amounts of hydrogen come from renewable energy
  • HFCEV less efficient than BEV: indeed, and that matters
Meanwhile BEV is already affordable, green, and efficient — right now — and it'll only get better. Car buyers have noticed, and not just in California and Norway.

They're already down almost 10% since 2010. According to the report "there is considerable wastefulness or luxury in how electricity was used before the accident" — and it isn't 2050 yet. Anyway that's just one proposal. The point is that a 100% renewable Japan might be difficult, but it isn't unthinkable — and it doesn't require H2.

Meanwhile renewable tech keeps getting better. Both solar and wind have improved since 2010, and will continue to do so.

As I've said before, renewable H2 may play some role in the future energy economy: @jhm has some interesting thoughts about electrolyzers. But H2 has to prove itself, and so far it has not. It may prove better to methanize renewably-sourced H2 into CH4, ala HELMETH, so it can be stored and consumed using existing infrastructure. Plus efficient carbon capture, necessarily. That's pie in the sky too, but no more so than the "hydrogen economy".

Boy the fear and hatred of hydrogen and fuel cell is immense in this thread! After all the light I brought to the chamber.
I think the BEV fans can see the writing on the wall and for some reason, are getting really nervous.:)
Someday they get run over by a flood of Mirais, while they keep chanting "tell me that was just a mirage!".;)

1. Curtailment: I don't know why we keep arguing about EVs helping in curtailment. It's just painful to charge for long hours (see other thread of owners complaining) and no one is going to sit around a charger soaking the excess renewable electricity. Hydrogen is lot more practical for this. Today the EV rates in the big ZEV state is at night, when there is no sun. Most of it is from pure baseload power plants.
2. Fuel cell cars have longer ranges and 5 minute fueling time, which makes them lot more appealing than electric cars.
3. Neither BEV nor FCEV is a solution for today. Hybrids are. So, low volume fuel cell sales are fine, Let the tech mature slowly till renewable excess energy takes over the grid. First order of priority is to retire the coal plants around the world and improve energy efficiency, which luckily is happening at many places.
4. The problems and solutions differ from region to region. One shoe does not fit all.

In the meantime, another big hydrogen station opens in San Francisco, with 100% renewable hydrogen.
That's good for fueling another 500-700 cars in the area.

Sf_h2.JPG

Last edited:
1. Curtailment: I don't know why we keep arguing about EVs helping in curtailment. It's just painful to charge for long hours (see other thread of owners complaining) and no one is going sit around a charger soaking the excess renewable. Hydrogen is lot more practical for this. Today the EV rates in the big ZEV states are night, when there is no sun. Most of it is from pure baseload power plants.

??? Where do you think most EVs spend most of their time??? Plugged in at home/work or sitting at a fast charger?

If it's sitting plugged in (which could easily average >90% of the time) then it's available to buffer the grid and reduce curtailment.

3. Neither BEV nor FCEV is a solution for today. Hybrids are.

Utilities are already testing ways that BEVs can provide grid services. For ~$500 PSE can add ~7kW of controllable demand. Can a Hybrid or FCEV do that?

Boy the fear and hatred of hydrogen and fuel cell is immense in this thread! After all the light I brought to the chamber.
I think the BEV fans can see the writing on the wall and for some reason, are getting really nervous.:)
Someday they get run over by a flood of Mirais, while they keep chanting "tell me that was just a mirage!".;)
This is possibly your best work to date.

In the meantime, another big hydrogen station opens in San Francisco, with 100% renewable hydrogen.

Explain this to me.... why.... why not just use CNG? Take 10kg of 100% renewable H2... use that to displace 13kg of CH4 since steam reforming is at best 75% efficient.... burn 10kg in a CNG car and now you can claim you're 130% renewable. It's cheaper. It's cleaner (overall). It's more efficient. Because.... math. Why.... Why use H2 instead of CH4???? It makes ZERO sense.

You hate BEVs... I'm guessing a Tesla ran over your dog or something... whatever... ok, why not use CH4? Why H2? What's the benefit? So long as there's an open market for H2 being filled by fools fuel.... just burn CH4. Keep splitting water... that's great. But use H2 as H2 and CH4 as fuel. If 95% of electricity came from gasoline and there was no efficiency benefit to a BEV I would just keep burning gasoline.

Reactions: transpondster
Explain this to me.... why.... why not just use CNG? Take 10kg of 100% renewable H2... use that to displace 13kg of CH4 since steam reforming is at best 75% efficient.... burn 10kg in a CNG car and now you can claim you're 130% renewable. It's cheaper. It's cleaner (overall). It's more efficient. Because.... math. Why.... Why use H2 instead of CH4???? It makes ZERO sense.

CARB mandate. They want a certain percentage of renewable H2 by a certain date, regardless of industrial H2 needs, sense be damned.

1. Curtailment: I don't know why we keep arguing about EVs helping in curtailment. It's just painful to charge for long hours (see other thread of owners complaining) and no one is going sit around a charger soaking the excess renewable. Hydrogen is lot more practical for this. Today the EV rates in the big ZEV states are night, when there is no sun. Most of it is from pure baseload power plants.

It's really simple.

If there's daytime curtailment (sunny areas) then the cheap electricity will be soaked up by a combination of
(1) static storage which will sell electricity back to the grid at the evening peak
(2) workplace charging for business use
(3) workplace charging for private use as a benefit.

2. Fuel cell cars have longer ranges and 5 minute fueling time, which makes them lot more appealing than electric cars.

Our Volt has a 15 second fueling time at home, in a space that is sheltered from rain, snow and wind, for at least 60% of our miles , and a 1 1/2 minute fueling time at the gas station.

A long-range BEV would have the same 15 second fueling time at home, but for all of our regular miles.

3. Neither BEV nor FCEV is a solution for today. Hybrids are. So, low volume fuel cell sales are fine, Let the tech mature slowly till renewable excess energy takes over the grid. First order of priority is to retire the coal plants around the world and improve energy efficiency, which luckily is happening at many places.

Hybrids are not a solution, because most people choose not to buy them.

Gas prices dropped $1/gallon, which gave the average light vehicle operator in the USA an extra $520 per year to spend on a vehicle, and they decided to spend the money on larger, less efficient vehicles instead of using the reduced gas cost to pay the premium for a hybrid.

People _do not care_ about energy efficiency in vehicles. If you want people to drive energy efficient vehicles you have to give them a vehicle they want that is efficient.

How about vehicles that are:
As quick as they want.
Have great everyday convenience.
Are quiet.
Are smooth.
Are very responsive.
Are cheap to fuel.
Have zero scheduled maintenance.

4. The problems and solutions differ from region to region. One shoe does not fit all.

Some people say that, but it seems to me that we're never going to stop using electricity, and since we already have it delivered to our home, we aren't going to have any problems with the infrastructure.

That's good for fueling another 500-700 cars in the area.

What's the price per kilogram?

Last edited:
Not a H2 fanboy and I appreciate BEVs. But there is too much FUD about H2 here. Coming from Elon. Marketing trick.
No, basic physics. The only FUD here is from the hydrogen fanboys constantly pumping the failing hydrogen narrative. Hydrogen for personal transportation will never be viable, as has been explained in this thread for ten years. Nothing has changed that.

No, basic physics. The only FUD here is from the hydrogen fanboys constantly pumping the failing hydrogen narrative. Hydrogen for personal transportation will never be viable, as has been explained in this thread for ten years. Nothing has changed that.

I didn't have to go back too far to find FUD from you:

Daimler gave up on fuel cells???? That's what you wanted to hear. But it's not what the article says.

• Funny