Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All practical suggestions for hydrogen systems store the hydrogen by lightly bonding it in a chemical (e.g., metal hydrides), rather than storing compressed hydrogen gas. While this doesn't address all of the safety concerns, it takes more than a leak and a spark!

How much will that reduce the energy efficiency because of the energy it takes to liberate the hydrogen from the metal hydride?
How about the weight of all the metal in the hydride?

Some quick googling reveals one of the most promising hydrides is LiBH4 - wouldnt that be funny if storing hydrogen used *more* lithium than lithium batteries?

Would love to see this video.

Wide shot of car number one. A mid sized car filled with enough electricity to let to travel 50 miles. Blow it up. Worst case style.

Car number two a gasoline car with the same amount of energy in fuel. Blow it up worst case style.

Car number three. Hydrogen with 50 miles of travel in fuel under compression. Blow it up. Worst case style.

I'm not aware of any vehicle actually using anything other than a high pressure tank.
Some have used cryogenic liquid hydrogen. BMW comes to mind.

At any rate, I support research into efficient hydrogen storage (including solid state metal hydrides). There are a variety of applications where it would be useful. I just think that promising it (or waiting for it) in an automotive application is a distraction and a poor use of resources.

Add to that the fact that you are riding on top of a tank filled with HIGHLY FLAMMABLE HYDROGEN just waiting for a slight leak and a spark.

To be completely fair, in some cases it's still much safer than gasoline (which tends to pool on the ground). Since hydrogen is so light and the ignition point so low, any leak tends to go straight up and burn off fairly quickly (see an article with a leaking hydrogen connector; it's not quite the same as a tank puncture but it illustrates some similar points):
http:// http://evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=482
swainh2vgas2.jpg

The only dangerous part is if you are in an enclosed area (so the flames will burn the rest of the car, a building, or people, etc) or if leak is directly below the passenger area (which might burn the passenger area instead of just the cargo area). I see the probability of the latter happening being higher now than previously because most of the newer hydrogen cars tend to mount multiple tanks under the passenger area rather than a large tank in the cargo area (for space efficiency reasons, much like why most BEVs have the batteries under the passenger area).

Outside of those two situations, I'm more worried about the highly pressurized tank. Instead of the fairly controlled release shown in that article, I'm worried about the explosion that might happen from an external fire. I don't know if a highly pressurized carbon fiber hydrogen tank will react exactly the same way as highly pressurized carbon fiber CNG tank in an external fire, but here's the result in a CNG Civic after an external fire (looks like a car bomb went off):
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/gene...xplosion-dialup-warning-many-photos-7555.html
Group_of_cars.jpg

That's pretty scary to me. It poses not only a danger to the passengers of the vehicle, but also to other bystanders and first responders (since shrapnel is sent flying when the tank exploded). Unlike fires involving other vehicles, where you are primarily in danger if you are inside that vehicle during the fire, fires involving high pressure tanks pose a danger even if you are nearby.

Last edited:
To be completely fair, in some cases it's still much safer than gasoline

Except that there is no other gas in existence that ignites under such a huge range of concentrations, 4% to 74% in air. Gasoline in comparison only ignites with concentrations between 1.4% and 7.6%. It also burns so hot the flames can be almost invisible, mainly emitting UV.

As you say, it does have the advantage of being buoyant. But that CNG tank explosion picture you showed is truly scary.

I love the Mythbusters, they are very entertaining. However sometimes their methodology is flawed. Among other things - science requires repeatability and one experiment is not always conclusive.

Here is another entertaining read:
How Not to Do It: Liquid Nitrogen Tanks. In the Pipeline:

Well sure, it's an entertainment show, and they don't really have the time to do truly proper experiments.

Incidentally, they did a show where they defeated the safety features of a hot water tank, and the rupture was quite similar to the one in that article. It went right through the roof of a miniature house they built (and due to viewer feedback they repeated the experiment with a more robustly built house, with the same result). Scary suff indeed.