Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the most damning indictments of the H2 Fuel Cell technology, is where it sits today after many years of development as a powerplant option in it's own rights.

Toyota's Mirai compact 4-door is perhaps the only significant example, so we will use that.

4,084 lb for a compact sedan makes it among the heaviest compacts in history, if not the heaviest. While advertising 154HP of thrust, it simply does match other green powertrains in performance while being double the price of many "green" cars. Only the Prius can match it in a Slowest Green Car competition.

This is terrible engineering for a powertrain system. You normally avoid picking the worst power to weight possible when selecting powertrains because it affects everything from braking to bearing life. Not to mention efficiency or performance.

So even if you could justify refueling it with fossil fuel products and a heavy CO2 footprint, as an automotive powertrain it is simply a poor choice. It would be better for applications where weight was not as important like stationary power generators.

One of the most damning indictments of the H2 Fuel Cell technology, is where it sits today after many years of development as a powerplant option in it's own rights.

Toyota's Mirai compact 4-door is perhaps the only significant example, so we will use that.

4,084 lb for a compact sedan makes it among the heaviest compacts in history, if not the heaviest.

Wow 500 lbs more the a Bolt. Curious what makes it so heavy? Obviously not the powerful electric motor. I know in BEVs it's the battery - so is it the fuel tank here? Or the conversion stack?

Wow 500 lbs more the a Bolt. Curious what makes it so heavy? Obviously not the powerful electric motor. I know in BEVs it's the battery - so is it the fuel tank here? Or the conversion stack?

I have no idea why a small car would weigh that. The Bolt has an 800lb battery in it.

I am assuming the seats are not made of lead on Mirai, nor are the tires filled with sand. So it must be the powertrain.

The tanks are heavy at 200 lbs, the NiMH battery is about ~100lbs, FC weighs 125lbs..., so there's 425lbs right there. The Bolt battery weighs about 960 lbs, but also provides a structural component of the vehicle. The tanks, nor the battery, or FC are incorporated into the structure of the Mirai.

The Mirai is also a full 28" longer than the Bolt...got to have room for those bulbous cylindrical tanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: dpeilow and Jeff N
By the way, thanks for the comments. I realise some of the slides are quite wordy. I was trying to strike a balance between overloading it and making it too basic such that detractors could attack it for not showing how those conclusions are arrived at.

In practice I plan to give this as a stand up talk to what I suspect might be a semi-hostile audience, and can talk around some of this stuff, but I also want there to be a version on the internet that people can link to when they see hydrogen b.s.

If some lay people can suggest what might be sensible to edit down then please do.

Reactions: Jaff
Put the nitty gritty details in backup slides. They can be as thorough as you please. Keep the presentation slides themselves clean and streamlined; talk to the content and only dive to the backups if REALLY necessary.

More words = less attention overall, and less attention on you specifically, because humans will typically read first and listen second.

More words = more opportunity for opponents to challenge distracting and unimportant minutia.

More words = more reading [and thus less talking] on your part, which makes it seem like you don't actually underatand the subject matter.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
After the recent discussions and spreadsheets I made, I turned them into a presentation.

I'm fairly happy that it all holds water, but as ever I'd appreciate the feedback.

Download from here
I think there are two points that are missing:
1) You note that the Mirai is less efficient than EVs at 90 g/km CO2. To me that's not nearly as powerful as pointing out that it's noticeably worse than the 70 g/km Prius (according to Toyota). The Mirai emits more CO2 than a standard gasoline burning Prius. It's harder to fuel than a standard Prius. It's more expensive than a standard Prius. The Prius is strictly better than the Mirai.

2) Clean electricity is better used on the grid than for electrolysis. If you build a windmill that produces 1000 kWh per day, you can put that on the grid and the local natural gas plant will emit 550 kg less CO2. or you could use it to create 18 kg/day of Hydrogen and the local steam reformation plant will emit 100 kg less CO2. In other words, until there's a surplus of electricity, electrolysis is several times more polluting than steam reformation. and a Mirai running on steam reformation is more polluting than a Prius.

Reactions: Topher and dpeilow
Hey everyone. I wrote a blog on the topic of Hydrogen vs. Battery EVs. This was brought up once again is the discussion around Top Gear's review of the Tesla and Honda Clarity and it seks to address the question of "why does Hydrogen continue to appeal when it doesn't actually make sense from an efficiency standpoint"

Since the crowd on this board is knowledgeable and opinioneated on the subject, I'd welcome your feedback

Darryl Siry's Blog: The stubborn appeal of hydrogen
It's not happening. This will be the VHS vs Beta technology. . No one is going to invest in the infrastructure to install hydrogen stations (in the near future). I saw couple of years ago about some consortium planning to place stations on the east coast, before I purchased my 1st Tesla (2014) but here we are 2017. Automotive groups are pushing out for the EV charging stations across the US. The only industry that may do Hydrogen is ironically the big oil companies. So far you can only lease two vehicles and they are both in CA area. Too small a market to make the investment. Time to model 3 comes out it will be a mute point, as the Bolt and other full EV cars will be on the market. Hydrogen is a

Oil majors, car makers to push hydrogen technology to help cut emissions

"Oil majors, car makers to push hydrogen technology to help cut emissions

The heads of some of the world's biggest oil firms and automakers agreed on Tuesday to push for broader global use and bigger investments in using hydrogen to help reduce emissions and arrest global warming

... the chiefs of oil firms Total (TOTF.PA) and Royal Dutch Shell (RDSa.L) ... the CEOs of car makers BMW, Daimler, Honda, Hyundai, Kawasaki and Toyota as well as miner Anglo American and energy and engineering firms Engie, Linde and Air Liquide.
"

In another news feed I read that they plan to spend $10.7 billion over 5 years on this White Elephant ...

• Informative
Reactions: dpeilow
I've updated the presentation to include a slide on this and a slide on the costs.

Taking the wholesale grid cost of electricity in the UK and the wholesale cost of water, and factoring a 10 year amortisation period for the electrolyser, it's clear that the base cost of this source of hydrogen cannot fall below £5 per kg at 2016 prices.

Now considering that the wholesale cost of petrol is around 25% of the retail price (after the retailers' margins, duty and VAT are taken into account) and we could be looking at £20 / kg or £100 to fill up the Mirai.

As the wholesale cost of electricity is forecast to reach £78 per MWh in 2025, by then you could be paying £7 per kg of hydrogen.

If onshore wind strike prices are to be taken as a guide for the idea of a renewables-powered site, these are already around £90 per MWh now. Therefore the true price of fully renewable hydrogen, even if the practical considerations are ignored, would be north of £8 per kg now before any other overheads and taxes are considered.

I haven't done costs for the steam reformed route, as that's a whole new rabbit hole of research.

Reactions: dpeilow and Topher