Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hydrogen vs. Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

yea why not? if they expect everyone to move to ev by 2030 the prices need to come way down.

Increased materials cost and high demand.
i get that....plus its usa not india. I just would like to see companies release 30-40k ev that DONT LOOK LIKE GOLFKARTS and drive like them...a sporty ev..and NOT an suv. I testdrove the mustang and didnt care for it at all and it looks so boring..The id4 looked better and drove better but its still that "suv" looking style. They both look like kia's to me. yuk

This is like saying that diamonds are really and truly abundant and everywhere around us...just mostly locked up in the atmosphere with oxygen as CO2.
You are being facetious but there is a kernel of truth there. We do manufacture diamonds as needed but atmospheric CO2 isn't the most easily and economically useable material source. If carbon use for diamond production were to become a significant climate change contributor though, requiring it be sourced from CO2 would be a plus, wouldn't it? That's the root of advocating for a carbon tax, isn't it?

Hydrogen production from H2O on the other hand IS the most easily and economically useable CLEAN source.

i get that....plus its usa not india. I just would like to see companies release 30-40k ev that DONT LOOK LIKE GOLFKARTS and drive like them...a sporty ev..and NOT an suv. I testdrove the mustang and didnt care for it at all and it looks so boring..The id4 looked better and drove better but its still that "suv" looking style. They both look like kia's to me. yuk
The general market is preferring CUVs/SUVs (not just for EVs) plus there are more loopholes where it is treated better, so I don't think the trend towards them would change regardless of how affordable car makers can make EVs.

Reactions: JRP3

As of 2020, most hydrogen is produced from fossil fuels, resulting in carbon dioxide emissions.[96] This is often referred to as grey hydrogen when emissions are released to the atmosphere, and blue hydrogen when emissions are captured through carbon capture and storage (CCS).[97] Blue hydrogen has been estimated to have a greenhouse gas footprint 20% greater than burning gas or coal for heat and 60% greater when compared to burning diesel for heat, assuming US up- and mid-stream methane leakage rates and production via steam methane reformers (SMR) retrofitted with carbon dioxide capture.

As for the economics angle:
As of 2020, estimated costs of production are $1–1.80/kg for grey hydrogen and blue hydrogen,[104] and $2.50–6.80 for green hydrogen.[104]

Reactions: JRP3 and Yelobird
You are being facetious but there is a kernel of truth there. We do manufacture diamonds as needed but atmospheric CO2 isn't the most easily and economically useable material source. If carbon use for diamond production were to become a significant climate change contributor though, requiring it be sourced from CO2 would be a plus, wouldn't it? That's the root of advocating for a carbon tax, isn't it?

Hydrogen production from H2O on the other hand IS the most easily and economically useable CLEAN source.
the most ecological and clean way is not to use hydrogen for electricity...

Despite the physics showing HEV making less sense than BEV...
BEV at 12c electricity and getting 3-4 miles per kWh, it is 3-4c/mile.
So for the Mirai with consumption at 0.8kg/100 miles, it is already 3.2c per mile at $4/kg. With hydrogen $1.50/kg, that would be 1.2c per mile.

Oh wait, I guess that $4 is not retail. $13.14/kg in Cali. So 10.5c/mile now and maybe with $1.50/kg hydrogen, maybe 5-7.5c/mile. Still more expensive than BEV.

• Informative
Reactions: ZsoZso
So what's the problem with getting a Model 3? Base is near $40K, and it does not resemble a golf cart. Ours looks very much like the Model S in many respects, like a car, not an SUV. But any car priced at $30K is going to look cheap, will probably be small, will not carry much load, and will be uncomfortable on trips. Model 3 will cost more and do more. Trouble is, they're popular, so hardly any used for sale. But if you insist on something that looks like a Mustang, you'll pay extra and still end up owning a Ford. Good luck with that.

BMW going after the wealthy demographics who do not care how much it costs. They would probably have a hydrogen refueling station in their garage. LOL

UN Report: Indiscriminate Use Of Hydrogen Could Slow The Energy Transition

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 7.32.55 PM.png

Those kind of reports are often bias in supporting the interests of particulars individuals.

For example:

Among other things, it noted that “despite hydrogen’s great potential,
it must be kept in mind that its production, transport and conversion
require energy, as well as significant investment.”

The debat of "Hydrogen vs Battery" should be discussed more be providing different options depending of the usage.

I would recommend watching this excellent video:​
Professor David Cebon has authored or co-authored more than 200 peer-reviewed papers​
on dynamic loads of heavy vehicles, road and bridge response and damage, asphalt micromechanics,​
weigh-in-motion, advanced suspension design, safety, productivity and energy consumption.​
In this episode, he hones in on Hydrogen and sets straight a few myths about its uses and cleanliness.​

Just some extracts:

31:30​
if you drive a truck on Gray hydrogen it's far far worse in carbon emissions terms than driving on diesel​

41:00​
green hydrogen is the first thing to do the second thing is use a hydrogen
to decarbonize sectors where the where it's used as a chemical​

41:40​
alking about hydrogen for heating or hydrogen for transport it's not going to work
we've talked about if they're eating a factor of six difference in energy
it's a factor of three different in transport
we absolutely shouldn't delay electrification electrification
is the one thing that we can really do to help this energy transition​

Those kind of reports are often bias in supporting the interests of particulars individuals.

The bias is toward math and reason.

For example one proposal is to mix H2 in with CH4 fed to homes to reduce CH4 use. Which would be an absolutely insane thing do to when we're still producing H2 from CH4.

The point is that we need to use H2 in areas that rely on H2. We're already using ~10B kg/yr of H2. So just displacing that demand is going to absorb every molecule of H2 we can produce for the foreseeable future. The point is that it's counter-productive to divert any to areas like transportation and home heating when you can do both just fine without H2.

The point is we need to start at the top and work our way down. No point in using H2 to displace stuff in the G category when we're not even done with 'A' yet.

Screen Shot 2022-11-18 at 11.30.42 PM.png

The point is that we need to use H2 in areas that rely on H2. We're already using ~10B kg/yr of H2. So just displacing that demand is going to absorb every molecule of H2 we can produce for the foreseeable future. The point is that it's counter-productive to divert any to areas like transportation and home heating when you can do both just fine without H2.

This exact same argument can be applied to EVs as well, that we should first meet the current electricity demand with clean sources before we add more demand.

I bought hybrids for a decade, in part because of this argument. Over time I've decided it is not a bad argument but it is incomplete since it neglects the effect of more demand leading to more supply. I don't think it is the most efficient approach, but thankfully it is not a zero sum game.

H2 would be fine if it were produced from renewable resources (solar, wind, geothermal, etc.) and used in applications that justified the storage and transportation costs.

But it's not.

H2 is produced from fossil fuels. Therefore H2 is no better than fossil fuels. The only "good" thing it can do is reduce smog in cities by moving the pollution emission point from car tailpipes to rural production facilities. This does nothing to reduce climate change but does reduce respiratory distress for city residents.

H2 is used in transportation for one reason and one reason only: It's a boondoggle by the fossil fuel industry to keep selling fossil fuels.

Reactions: mspohr and Watts_Up