Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I’ve never cried over a car until today...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure about CA, but in NYS, the minimum property coverage is $10k. If we have collision coverage, our insurance would cover the rest of the other vehicle has insufficient coverage. less the deductible with no fault.

Only $5k for property damage here in CA, so enough for covering the deductibles, but not enough to cover in alot of cases if they are going for the minimum coverage.

The last wreck I was in, a guy was stopped at a construction stoplight behind me and we were stuck there a LONG time. Like 10's of minutes. Not too long before traffic our direction started to move he hit me. He had been maybe a foot behind me as his butt was still in the intersection when he stopped. I got out and looked, my trunk was popped and no longer shut and I was unable to put the convertible top back up.

Fortunately, the police officer assigned to the construction was sitting in his car next to me with his lights flashing for the whole time. I let him know I had been hit and he approached the driver and discovered him drunk and ran him in. I called my insurance and they took care of finding the police report (as the cop never spoke to me again) and paying for the repair. But even though he had only a foot of room to accelerate, my car needed to have the frame rebent. That's a lot of damage from letting your foot slip off the brake.

That’s terrible and I am glad you and your daughter were not hurt.
One item is confusing me about your post. I am not trying to be argumentative, just curious. How is it possible to hit hard enough to have the guy’s head go through the windshield without the airbags going off?
I am not saying it didn’t happen but I am wondering if he was in some weird position in the car or something? Just curious.

I wondered about this very thing because he was driving an Audi A3. It was a nice looking car. When I got outside, the witnesses pointed out that he was bloody and ran away. I looked at his car windshield and there was a hole where his head and face collided. There was blood all over the inside of the drivers seat but NO airbag deployed. I confirmed this with the officer later as well. Here was one thought. When the officer gave me his info, my daughter did some reverse social engineering and found the guy had some photos of the car he had bought used 2 years earlier. This guy looked on the younger side. No judgement here but maybe he got a deal on the car as a salvage or something and they failed to replace an already used airbag? I don't know. I thought Audi was a very safe car right?

So the officer did a search through the DMV and found his insurance info for me. He has a policy at State Farm. I never saw him. Initially there were at least 5 units in the area looking for him. (This happened just 1/2 mile from the police station) An officer approached me shortly thereafter and told me they had him detained and then I heard and saw an ambulance going by. I'm guessing he wasn't in much of a condition to flee.

Reactions: Phlier
Terrible.
But congrats!
Download footage of him hitting your car from the back to prove it was him driving, just in case!

I was super disappointed when I reviewed the video from my car and there is a 20 minute gap from the time we walked away from the car to the next frame which shows his car immediately after it hit mine. I don't get this at all because video should have been recording during that entire time. It ends though shortly after we get out of the car. That's not supposed to happen right? I had initially told the officers that it should show him hitting the car and then taking off. I brought my hard drive home and went over all of the folders and just can't find it.

If his head went through the windshield then he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt. Not sure if this is at play here, but a some manufacturer’s airbags require a seatbelt to be fastened to deploy—even for the driver.

I wondered about this very thing because he was driving an Audi A3. It was a nice looking car. When I got outside, the witnesses pointed out that he was bloody and ran away. I looked at his car windshield and there was a hole where his head and face collided. There was blood all over the inside of the drivers seat but NO airbag deployed. I confirmed this with the officer later as well. Here was one thought. When the officer gave me his info, my daughter did some reverse social engineering and found the guy had some photos of the car he had bought used 2 years earlier. This guy looked on the younger side. No judgement here but maybe he got a deal on the car as a salvage or something and they failed to replace an already used airbag? I don't know. I thought Audi was a very safe car right?

So the officer did a search through the DMV and found his insurance info for me. He has a policy at State Farm. I never saw him. Initially there were at least 5 units in the area looking for him. (This happened just 1/2 mile from the police station) An officer approached me shortly thereafter and told me they had him detained and then I heard and saw an ambulance going by. I'm guessing he wasn't in much of a condition to flee.

Based on the pics, it looks totaled to me. It’s hit hard enough to mess up the axle and intrude into the battery pack. I had $25,000 damage to my 3 that was hit much less hard than yours. Definitely make them cover the cost of your customizations!

Definitely sounds like the guy was not firing on all cylinders. Someone mentioned airbags not deploying if seatbelts are not worn. I didn’t know that was a thing but I guess that would explain what happened?

If his head went through the windshield then he wasn’t wearing his seatbelt. Not sure if this is at play here, but a some manufacturer’s airbags require a seatbelt to be fastened to deploy—even for the driver.

Another fact, airbags typically does not deploy at less than 15 MPH or the force of impact equivalent to 15 mph. They probably started requiring seat belts when people started getting hurt from airbags being too close to the person like with shorter passengers. The person definitely did not wear seatbelt, even without airbags, they shouldn’t hit the windshield at lower speeds.

Reactions: Halldawg
This is gut-wrenching to see. It could happen to any of us at any time. I'm glad you're ok and I hope that guy had some sense knocked into him.
Did you have Sentry mode on? If not, I thought if you tapped on the icon that it would automatically save the recent past. Sorry that the video aspect isn't working but this is a case where it might have only been for entertainment value. You have a slam dunk case.

If the claim is against your own insurance, then your add ons would not be covered unless you had notified your company and they had added them with an (extra cost) rider.
IF the claim is against the other guy, then their insurance would be responsible for all those enhancements.

Believe your car will be totaled with that much damage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Phlier
Haven't been out much since the virus. Today was an exception though. My daughter was down from Minn and we were at one of those baby imaging places where they can create these 3d models from sonograms. Anyway, someone comes in and asks, "Do any of you have a white Tesla?" I look down at my phone and it shows the alarm went off. I ran outside to this:

34-AFBCD2-4485-48-A1-BEF9-52341-A3363-C7.jpg

My heart sank. This is my first nice new car. The guy had fled on foot bloody. Police caught up to him. Not sure what he was thinking since it was his own car. No seatbelt and his head went through the windshield. In any case. They pulled his Audi away and here was the after shot:

49-ED881-A-8681-4-DC5-A48-E-94-AE1-A21-FD1-C.jpg

Broke the axle on my car and at this point I'm almost hoping it's totaled. I can't imagine them ever getting it back to the condition it was. I loved that car! My wife couldn't believe I had tears in my eyes...lol. I'm just so bummed. I have Tesla Insurance so we will see how it gets handled. I don't think it will pay for things like $5500 PPF, custom painted wheels, tint chrome delete, etc, etc. I guess that is what I get for loving a material object so much.
So sorry