Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I am mad with Tesla trade in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am so mad right now, I dont know where else I can vent this out besides here. In October, Tesla gave me a trade in value for my S, I thought it was do able, so I ordered my X.

This week, my X is in production and they said they need to reappraise thr car. I was like ok, since I was told they will only deduct 25 cent per extra mile I drove. Now, they low ball me and knock off 4k from the value they gave me in October.

WTF man, anyone have this issue with your trade in? I ask to cancel my X and they said no. They should have told me up front.

I was told that they will deduct 25 cents per mile, and they told me thats all I have to worry about.

I asked them if they are sure so many times that I feel that I was annoying.

I put over 2500 miles and it should be 625 less to be exact. They told me there is a significant depreciation on my car since October. So they took off 4k.

I am so mad right now, I dont even want my X anymore.

If they are not lying, and the car has depreciated more than anyone expected, you can't blame them for lowering their offer. What do sites like kbb say about the trade-in value of your car vs. what Tesla is offering?

I am so mad right now, I dont know where else I can vent this out besides here. In October, Tesla gave me a trade in value for my S, I thought it was do able, so I ordered my X.

This week, my X is in production and they said they need to reappraise thr car. I was like ok, since I was told they will only deduct 25 cent per extra mile I drove. Now, they low ball me and knock off 4k from the value they gave me in October.

WTF man, anyone have this issue with your trade in? I ask to cancel my X and they said no. They should have told me up front.
I doubt that they guaranteed that they would only deduct for mileage months later. Most trade in values from dealers and places like CarMax are only good for a few days. Longer than that and it needs to be reappraised. The used car market changes. Car values change.
You will usually be able to get a better price by selling as a private party.

Also, did you get a formal offer from Tesla initially, ie the follow-up email that lays out numbers and terms or was it all verbal? Also, if you have a CarMax close by, you may want to get a number from them...Tesla honor/used to match that number as of Q3.

If it was anything like mine, it was verbal/email. But obviously time passes between when you get your offer and when it's time to trade in, so I took it as a ballpark number and not as something set in stone. And it's not appeared on MyTesla, probably because they don't want to really lock themselves into a number.

it was a written offer back in October, after the EAP announcement. that's why I asked them how good is this offer since I won't be able to trade it in until my X is ready. Like I said many times here, they told me don't worry about it, worse case they will deduct 25 cents per additional mile.

I trade-in many cars before, and sold many cars to CarMax before. I never trade in my car to Tesla while waiting for my new car to be built, that's why I asked them so many times that how good is this offer at time my x is ready.

In fact, I just went to KBB, the trade-in I got is 7k higher than the new lowball quote Tesla gave me. Tesla should do better on this, I understand the depreciation and anticipate to take a hit, but Tesla needs to be honest with their customer, they can't just survive with high tech products, honestly counts.

That sucks. Most quotes are only good for 7 days even Carmax. I am looking at trading in my 2015 Benz and the CPO manager told me to wait till I was closer in closing the deal. Sounds like the sales guy was trying to close the X deal. If you have the .25 documented they should honor it.

I wonder why you cant cancel your X order. That does not seem right...

How was carmax on the quote? I am nervous they are going to low ball me hard on my 15 C300 fully loaded only 15k miles and me getting a Tesla is all depended on what they offer.
A one year old 15K miles fully loaded car is going to cost you a lot in depreciation. It will be a good deal for whoever buys it but the first year depreciation is a killer.

I sold my 2012 model S myself for more than Tesla offered with not a lot of effort. They gave me a trade in number which I assumed was a worst case number. I listed my model S here and Autotrader. I had it sold in about two weeks.

How was carmax on the quote? I am nervous they are going to low ball me hard on my 15 C300 fully loaded only 15k miles and me getting a Tesla is all depended on what they offer.

Carmax was great and only took 25 minutes with the appraisal, just request to go out with the appraiser and tell him its fully loaded and in great condition etc... You shouldn't mention tesla but you can say you may look at something on their lot. We emailed our DS and she said they could match the offer.