Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I asked Tesla sales about the full self driving capability...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for bringing this back. I only realized this was from 2016 after I read it. Only thing outdated was AP1 was better than EAP. It was true until wider front camera was enabled.

Regulatory approval will always be true. AP is still Beta, and they'll release FSD beta as a driving aid with hands on wheel at all times. L5 is still far away due to regulatory approval even if tech has caught up.

• Funny
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Thanks for bringing this back. I only realized this was from 2016 after I read it. Only thing outdated was AP1 was better than EAP. It was true until wider front camera was enabled.

Regulatory approval will always be true. AP is still Beta, and they'll release FSD beta as a driving aid with hands on wheel at all times. L5 is still far away due to regulatory approval even if tech has caught up.
It's funny that people keep saying this. There are many states that do not require regulatory approval for autonomous vehicles...
And though our own state of California does require regulatory approval the DMV has in fact approved autonomous vehicles.

It's funny that people keep saying this. There are many states that do not require regulatory approval for autonomous vehicles...
And though our own state of California does require regulatory approval the DMV has in fact approved autonomous vehicles.
They have, but they didn't approve Tesla. Tesla also said it's L2 in their application.

Approval for internal testing and approval for public is also different. Tesla may have approval for L5 internal testing, but can't release to general public for sale as a real product.

I'm not sure about other states, but if they don't need it then why Cruise, Lyft, or Waymo go test there? They test in states like AZ and CA that need permits and even closed beta. I can't go to AZ and download Waymo app to summon a ride. Can I? Anyone know if that's possible? I would love to get a ride in a Waymo.

Also other states doesn't have it doesn't mean it's legal. They're just behind on technology. I bet their police will still pull over cars if someone is asleep in the backseat. Any YouTuber can go there and say they are testing. I modded by car by adding a dash cam. I want to see if this made my car autonomous :)

Reactions: markwj
They have, but they didn't approve Tesla. Tesla also said it's L2 in their application.

Approval for internal testing and approval for public is also different. Tesla may have approval for L5 internal testing, but can't release to general public for sale as a real product.

I'm not sure about other states, but if they don't need it then why Cruise, Lyft, or Waymo go test there? They test in states like AZ and CA that need permits and even closed beta. I can't go to AZ and download Waymo app to summon a ride. Can I? Anyone know if that's possible? I would love to get a ride in a Waymo.

Also other states doesn't have it doesn't mean it's legal. They're just behind on technology. I bet their police will still pull over cars if someone is asleep in the backseat. Any YouTuber can go there and say they are testing. I modded by car by adding a dash cam. I want to see if this made my car autonomous :)
Tesla hasn't applied for approval!
As I said there are many states where L5 is perfectly legal and does not require regulatory approval, Florida for example (Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine)
You can download the Waymo app, go to Chandler, AZ and summon a ride.
In Arizona you do have to submit documents to operate autonomous vehicles but I don't think they require approval.

Well, at least no one can say you were tricked into buying fsd or that fsd is a fraud. It’s pretty clear what you are buying from what the salesman told us way back in 2016.

All current features and any future updates locked in at today’s price. No guarantees about when fsd will be delivered.

settles that argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: rxlawdude
Thus the words which have been there the entire time: ONLY after "software VALIDATION."

Seems to always get forgotten by the nattering nabobs of negativism.

Not negative. Realistic.

I bought EAP on my first car. Drove it a bit over 32k miles before it's demise. Lot of different conditions. EAP couldn't figure out how to drive smoothly in traffic. So much so that when offered the chance to buy it on my replacement, I passed.

There is a huge difference between something working, and something working well enough to be a feature. There are so many FSD fanboys out there that are excited by the tech that they fail to stop to think that this is supposed to be a driver's aid. Right now, even in Beta form, with having to constantly monitor the software? It's just a toy, sorry. Unless having to constantly worry about the car making a stupid move somehow relaxes you.

But by all means, go ahead and give Tesla a loan of your money and keep writing them excuses. Not everyone who disagrees with you is a hater.

To your final point, your words only after software validation ring completely hollow to me. Nowhere in the original post did the Tesla rep say "after software validation". Their selling point for YEARS was that "it's the government holding us up". If you're pretending otherwise, well, I'm sorry.

Thus the words which have been there the entire time: ONLY after "software VALIDATION."

Seems to always get forgotten by the nattering nabobs of negativism.
So, if Tesla doesn't achieve FSD with HW3, a decade from now will they still have a single engineer "validating" the software so they can avoid giving refunds?
There's a reason they changed the wording to "dependent on achieving" for newer FSD purchases.

Count me in as a disgruntled FSD buyer. I expected a lot more for my money, and I’m no wealthy Vulture Capitalist etc. I gave up my dream of owning a fun aircraft to buy the Model X with FSD. It’s fun, OK on the highway, but it’s not self-driving at all, under any conditions. What’s the point if I have to keep hold of the controls?

Reactions: InternetDude
Well, at least no one can say you were tricked into buying fsd or that fsd is a fraud. It’s pretty clear what you are buying from what the salesman told us way back in 2016.

All current features and any future updates locked in at today’s price. No guarantees about when fsd will be delivered.

settles that argument.
Pretty clear what *1* sales rep told *1* owner anyways.

Reactions: qdeathstar