Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...Just throwing this out there. Below is the steering wheel of the Ferrari 488. The steering column is essentially stalkless. Do you think the production Model 3 steering wheel will look like this, or be even MORE radical (i.e. joystick, non-round wheel, etc.)

2015-ferrari-488-gtb-7_1600x0w.jpg

I'm thinking there might be some touch-sensitive areas of the steering wheel to change display configurations, activate turn signals, radio volume/audio tuning. They might not be physical buttons in the traditional sense, but like trackpads for your thumbs. They might even have flexible OLED displays that change depend on your settings. They'd have to be made pretty robust to withstand repeated use over 10-15 years.

So basically, as you approach, or you get seated in the car, the trackpad areas on the steering wheel will illuminate with the default settings. I imagine some functions will be fixed (i.e. turn signals) but others will be configurable. However, if it's intuitive enough, maybe backlighting the trackpads themselves with OLEDs would be unnecessary. The functions would be displayed on a virtual steering wheel on the display. I don't know...Just having a stream-of-consciousness monologue here.

So...Just throwing this out there. Below is the steering wheel of the Ferrari 488. The steering column is essentially stalkless. Do you think the production Model 3 steering wheel will look like this, or be even MORE radical (i.e. joystick, non-round wheel, etc.)

2015-ferrari-488-gtb-7_1600x0w.jpg
Wow, after spending all day in the Model S yesterday, that interior just looks dated/old even though it's brand new. I think it's all the knobs, dials, and buttons that are giving me that impression.

Wow, after spending all day in the Model S yesterday, that interior just looks dated/old even though it's brand new. I think it's all the knobs, dials, and buttons that are giving me that impression.

And that interior is pretty minimalist, actually! Take a look at some of the newer Porsche models. Their cockpits have so many buttons and levers, they look like airplane cockpits, and not in a good way.

I hope not, or if so that they make the windshield out of super duper gorilla glass, that won't crack when a rock hits it. I live in the cracked windshield capital of the world (Houston).

Hmmm....good point. I've never had a windshield crack on the 4 cars I've had, but that would be ridiculously costly...Hmm....

I'm thinking there might be some touch-sensitive areas of the steering wheel to change display configurations, activate turn signals, radio volume/audio tuning. They might not be physical buttons in the traditional sense, but like trackpads for your thumbs. They might even have flexible OLED displays that change depend on your settings. They'd have to be made pretty robust to withstand repeated use over 10-15 years.

So basically, as you approach, or you get seated in the car, the trackpad areas on the steering wheel will illuminate with the default settings. I imagine some functions will be fixed (i.e. turn signals) but others will be configurable. However, if it's intuitive enough, maybe backlighting the trackpads themselves with OLEDs would be unnecessary. The functions would be displayed on a virtual steering wheel on the display. I don't know...Just having a stream-of-consciousness monologue here.
Touch sensitive areas wouldn't work very well. It would be too easy to accidentally turn on your turn signal or hit the eject button. I wouldn't be surprised though if it had physical buttons, indicators and possibly a small display for a couple details like speed, etc.

Maybe "depressable" or haptic is a better term. Does that make more sense?
Sure, that's basically what I was saying. Touch sensitive made me think of the door "handles" on a MX where it only takes a touch to activate it. I've seen video posted of a steering wheel where the outer wheel turns but the center stays stationary. That would be great for buttons and a display. If the M3 doesn't get a steering wheel with controls and a display then I'd want a HUD. The least desirable option would be looking at the center screen (as seen at the reveal) all the time.