Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned an idea that the windshield is actually a transparent LED. That is probably the furthest "out there" thing that could be possible.

The logical problem in my head is balancing the idea that there must be some kind of one-of-a-kind feature coming with the purpose of the Model 3 -- EV for the masses. This makes me think that it is likely software based rather than an expensive piece of hardware. Though I suppose it is possible there is something in store that is just an expensive option. I.e., the LED windscreen is a $7,000 upgrade.

Well, LG is sourcing the 15" screen. They are the biggest manufacturer of OLED's, too, including massive flexible, plastic, transparent OLEDs. But, that does sound hella pricey--way more expensive than an instrument cluster

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the #1 thing I want to see in part 2 is that they've made significant progress on production.

Edit: wrong numbers, from 2015! Now, in early 2016, they're already up to 15k per quarter. Thanks to @dhanson865 for the correction. Sorry for the slip.

Agreed. At current rates (~40k cars per year), it will take 7 years just to fulfill 3 preorders.

If they double that, only 3.5 years.

Last edited:
Well, LG is sourcing the 15" screen. They are the biggest manufacturer of OLED's, too, including massive flexible, plastic, transparent OLEDs. But, that does sound hella pricey--way more expensive than an instrument cluster

It would be amazing and a truly unique feature. I would love to see it but I am not holding my breath.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the #1 thing I want to see in part 2 is that they've made significant progress on production.

Agreed. I want my car in 2018.

Agreed. At current rates (~40k cars per year), it will take 7 years just to fulfill 3 preorders.

If they double that, only 3.5 years.

What the heck are you a talking about 40,000 cars per year?

Tesla cumulative global sales
  • 2012 2,600 cars
  • 2013 25,000 cars total (22,400 cars in 2013 + prior year)
  • 2014 57,000 cars total (32,000 cars in 2014 + prior years)
  • 2015 107,000 cars total (50,000 cars in 2015 + prior years)
2016 forecast in the last earning call is 80,000 to 90,000 cars.

40,000 a year rate was only accurate some time in 2015. We are in 2016 now and they are pumping out Model S/X in high numbers trying to catch up on all the preorders for the X.

In addition they will install more assembly lines for Model 3 and they'll pump those out by the hundreds of thousands per year. Model 3 takes less equipment/time to go through the assembly line so if they had the parts in stock and the design finalized they could pump out twice as many Model 3 with the same amount of robots/employees if they stopped making S/X temporarily. They won't do that but it's just another reason I think "current rates" are misleading.

• Helpful
Reactions: ikjadoon
What the heck are you a talking about 40,000 cars per year?

Tesla cumulative global sales
  • 2012 2,600 cars
  • 2013 25,000 cars total (22,400 cars in 2013 + prior year)
  • 2014 57,000 cars total (32,000 cars in 2014 + prior years)
  • 2015 107,000 cars total (50,000 cars in 2015 + prior years)
2016 forecast in the last earning call is 80,000 to 90,000 cars.

40,000 a year rate was only accurate some time in 2015.

Oh, whoops! That's totally my bad. I read an article from January 2015, not January 2016.

You're right. It's closer to 80k/year. Wow, that sounds a million times better. I had been getting worried.

Tesla missed guidance with only 14,820 vehicles delivered in Q1 2016, blames Model X supplier parts shortages

The old article I read: Tesla Motors Releases Quarterly Sales: 10,030 Cars Sold Globally Jan-Mar

My crazy dream is for AP advanced enough that the car can drive itself to the service center and be replaced by a loaner also via an autonomous process thus solving a lot of the servicing problems for folks like me who live far away and will probably not live any closer than an hour for a long time coming.

I vote for that - although, with current service centers, the car would have to stop to charge itself halfway in each direction from my home location. (I guess that's the point of the snake-like automatic charging robot).

To me its seems obvious that Part 2 is going to be about Autopilot and the steering system as well as all the other details we want to know (battery sizes, 0-60, options and pricing, etc.). Elon said that Part 2 will take it to the next level, i.e. Level 4 Fully Autonomous Driving. Why else would he specifically say "next level"? And the reason it's in Part 2 is because they need the time to perfect it and they want to be sure it can be included in production models before they disclose it. I also agree with those that think in Part 2 they will reveal a steering wheel with multiple controls, Indicator lights and possibly a small display. I also expect a HUD. What I don't expect is Augmented Reality. I think that adds too much cost and complexity.

Do you also think that June 2017 will be the first opportunity to possibly configure our cars?
Who knows. We are all speculating. But I doubt it will be that early. Elon has stated that 3 production will start in "late 2017". Based on Tesla history, that likely means December 2017. So if your car is one of the first thousand or so, perhaps you will be configuring by fall 2017. If your car is after the first few thousand you might not be configuring until very late in 2017.