TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Bimbels, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Well, LG is sourcing the 15" screen. They are the biggest manufacturer of OLED's, too, including massive flexible, plastic, transparent OLEDs. But, that does sound hella pricey--way more expensive than an instrument cluster

2. Jleafs

Jleafs Member

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the #1 thing I want to see in part 2 is that they've made significant progress on production.

• Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
  3. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

#103 ikjadoon, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Edit: wrong numbers, from 2015! Now, in early 2016, they're already up to 15k per quarter. Thanks to @dhanson865 for the correction. Sorry for the slip.

Agreed. At current rates (~40k cars per year), it will take 7 years just to fulfill 3 preorders.

If they double that, only 3.5 years.

4. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

It would be amazing and a truly unique feature. I would love to see it but I am not holding my breath.

Agreed. I want my car in 2018.

5. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

True. Maybe only parts of the windshield will have embedded OLED displays, like a HUD sort of deal. That would fit the spaceship vibe.

6. dhanson865

dhanson865 Active Member

What the heck are you a talking about 40,000 cars per year?

Tesla cumulative global sales
    • 2012 2,600 cars
    • 2013 25,000 cars total (22,400 cars in 2013 + prior year)
    • 2014 57,000 cars total (32,000 cars in 2014 + prior years)
    • 2015 107,000 cars total (50,000 cars in 2015 + prior years)
    2016 forecast in the last earning call is 80,000 to 90,000 cars.

40,000 a year rate was only accurate some time in 2015. We are in 2016 now and they are pumping out Model S/X in high numbers trying to catch up on all the preorders for the X.

In addition they will install more assembly lines for Model 3 and they'll pump those out by the hundreds of thousands per year. Model 3 takes less equipment/time to go through the assembly line so if they had the parts in stock and the design finalized they could pump out twice as many Model 3 with the same amount of robots/employees if they stopped making S/X temporarily. They won't do that but it's just another reason I think "current rates" are misleading.

• Helpful x 1
  7. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Oh, whoops! That's totally my bad. I read an article from January 2015, not January 2016.

You're right. It's closer to 80k/year. Wow, that sounds a million times better. I had been getting worried.

Tesla missed guidance with only 14,820 vehicles delivered in Q1 2016, blames Model X supplier parts shortages

The old article I read: Tesla Motors Releases Quarterly Sales: 10,030 Cars Sold Globally Jan-Mar

8. AB4EJ

AB4EJ Member

I vote for that - although, with current service centers, the car would have to stop to charge itself halfway in each direction from my home location. (I guess that's the point of the snake-like automatic charging robot).

9. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Any Speculation as to WHEN the second reveal will be?

10. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

To me its seems obvious that Part 2 is going to be about Autopilot and the steering system as well as all the other details we want to know (battery sizes, 0-60, options and pricing, etc.). Elon said that Part 2 will take it to the next level, i.e. Level 4 Fully Autonomous Driving. Why else would he specifically say "next level"? And the reason it's in Part 2 is because they need the time to perfect it and they want to be sure it can be included in production models before they disclose it. I also agree with those that think in Part 2 they will reveal a steering wheel with multiple controls, Indicator lights and possibly a small display. I also expect a HUD. What I don't expect is Augmented Reality. I think that adds too much cost and complexity.

11. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

June, 2017.

12. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

Do you also think that June 2017 will be the first opportunity to possibly configure our cars?

13. MP3Mike

No, I think that won't happen until September, 2017. (With the first deliveries in December, 2017.)

14. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Banned

#114 Garlan Garner, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    That's a long long time from now. What a shame.

That's a long time to part with $1K with nothing to show for it - just for a place in line.

I wonder how many bolts will be sold by the time the first ≡ shows up.

• Like x 1
  15. MP3Mike

I agree, I wish it was sooner, but I just can't see it... But, if I plan on that schedule and it happens sooner I will be happier than if I plan for sooner and it is later. (Well other than having less time to save up for extra options.)

16. Thomas Edison

Thomas Edison Active Member

Is this confirmed or just speculation ?

17. ohmman

ohmman Maximum Plaid Member

^^^

• Like x 1
  18. yesup

yesup Member

Everything in this thread is speculation! LOL

• Funny x 1
  19. Johan

Johan Funds for M3 secured. Contingent on wife aproval.

Here's wild, wild idea:

What if the reveal part 2 pertains to the presence, function and design of cup holders?!?

• Funny x 1
  20. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Who knows. We are all speculating. But I doubt it will be that early. Elon has stated that 3 production will start in "late 2017". Based on Tesla history, that likely means December 2017. So if your car is one of the first thousand or so, perhaps you will be configuring by fall 2017. If your car is after the first few thousand you might not be configuring until very late in 2017.