Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That wouldn't surprise me at all. I am guessing they have 3 or 4 designs in the works right now. It takes a long time to get to the Model 3 stage. I bet they are working on new roadster, model S redesign, model X redesign, model Y design, etc...
Could the Roadster/MS redesigns be hidden under these on the left?

23012-1393628d_945_556.jpg

This! and perhaps the seemingly "empty" space behind the steering wheel will be the cavity in which the wheel will retract into while in autopilot. Not completely hidden, just flush with the dash and out of the way - it could spring back into place in emergency situations. The wheel would need to be oblong for this to work (fit within the hight of the dash), which the prototype certainly hinted at. Just a thought, but may not be that farfetched!
Maybe when retracted the steering wheel would park itself behind the monitor! Right hand drive would be possible with some basic software configuration setting.

Elon did say that part 2 would "take things to another level", which to me might include a Model Y variant which the another level statement would be subtly referring to height of the variant car. Very simplistic but Elon's style.

Better to explain using pictures. Here are examples of why some of us speculate about Model Y in Part 2 of the unveil.

In the pic below, the rightmost frame has 2 silhouettes with one of them being the already unveiled Model 3. Is this a hint of another automobile announcement in the near future?
model-3-model-y.jpg

The rightmost clay model is that of the Model 3, it seems. So what is that other clay model doing here? It's obvious that Tesla is designing two separate cars at the same time.
tesla-design-studio-screen-cap-1.jpg

I am not an engineer (IANAE). However, in addition to the usual info, e.g., speed, navigation, etc, I think Tesla might use a HUD to project, when visibility is marginal (or worse), the lines of the road as well as any vehicles exactly where they are in real life. By integrating these with AP 2.0 and realistic AI, drivers will have a much better chance of avoiding the multi-vehicle pileups we've seen lately caused by fog and whiteout conditions. When visibility is not an issue those lines, cars, etc could be projected onto a virtual IP, leaving just speed, nav info, etc on the HUD.

Based on Elon's admission he was surprised by the huge number of reservations, I believe they felt they would use (need?) Part 2 to stimulate reservations by pessimists who expected the base Model 3 to have comparatively limited range and/or performance, and wanted more of one or both. Since they referenced their targets in terms of size, e.g., the Audi A4 and BMW 3-Series, I believe they plan to announce Performance models, ala Audi S4 and BMW M3, as well as larger batteries, "sportier" suspension, etc.
It's not about stimulating reservation it's about the competition not knowing exactly what they are bringing or want to bring to the market in almost 2 years. It's also 2 times advertising

Reactions: aija SigX 649
I don't think they'll be another variant but I could be wrong. It is hard enough to ramp production on one car let alone 2. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. They'll address the empty dash and why it is there. The steering wheel will change and there will be some killer feature that Elon is holding back on. I honestly don't think this is a hud.
2. They'll talk about the main option packages like batteries, performance, etc... Plus price.
3. I think there might be some supercharger thing they will announce. I had the thought that you would pull up near the supercharger and do something on your dash to tell them you are ready to charge. Then your car can wait and charge itself and when done pull out automatically. This way you can go have lunch etc... and not worry about your car being plugged in too long. If all the Model 3's have the Auto Pilot hardware they could provide this even if you don't select the Auto Pilot software upgrade.
4. Perhaps some other options would be some icing on the cake.

Reactions: lklundin
My best guess:
  • Advanced autopilot features demonstration
  • Details on battery sizes, acceleration, performance models (perhaps beating the Bugatti Chiron on acceleration?
  • demonstrating electrochromatic glass roof option (to be able to tint the glass by the press if a button). sounds crazy, but AnxietyRanger pointed to the possibility when the first Model X prototypes hit the road, and I like the idea.
With regards to the tinting glass, something like this...

I remember a car, maybe on topgear 20years ago. It was left hand drive, with three touch of a button it was right hand drive. Can't remember what car it was but would be good of that was the case for the 3. I'm in the UK btw :(

I agree with others who are pretty certain that the part 2 is going to be filling in the blanks with the model 3, particularly regarding the control system and dashboard, which Musk has even tweeted about saying that what we've seen is not the real thing, and the real thing being "like sitting in a spaceship".

I expect Part 2 of the Model 3 unveil to fully reveal the control system and display, which has been held back specifically because it is going to be a big deal.

With Musk being such a proponent of autonomous driving, as well as state of the art functionality, with OTA updates and futureproof hardware configurations, I fully expect we'll be told that the base model, initial production model of the model 3 will be fully capable of full autonomous driving, level 5. With a stowable steering 'wheel'.

If he is confident that autonomous driving is only a few years away, there's no way he won't future proof the model 3. He will make sure the design and the hardware will be designed for autonomous driving, so that once it is ready to be rolled out over the air, the model 3 will have everything it needs, and will in fact feel that it was designed for it.

So, I envision a stowable steering system, with some form of flat space in front of the driver to act as a desk or worktop. HUD display information might well be included, but as others have said, the centre screen is sufficient.

The other big part of unveil part 2 will be the details of the AWD performance versions' specs and capabilities.

Showing how advanced, and how future-proofed the model 3 is, as well as how fast and awesome you can make it if you're willing to spend a bit more, will be the kind of reveal that Elon could expect to double or quadruple reservation numbers!

Level 5 would be great, but we're years away from that, more years than the wait will be for the Model 3 to hit production. Level 4 is as high as it will go.

Remember, level 5 means there are no human-operated controls in the vehicle, nor the expectation of them.

Level 0: This one is pretty basic. The driver (human) controls it all: steering, brakes, throttle, power. It's what you've been doing all along.

Level 1: This semi-autonomous level means that most functions are still controlled by a driver, but some (like braking) can be done automatically by the car.

Level 2: In level 2, at least 2 functions are automated, like cruise control and lane-centering. It means that the "driver is disengaged from physically operating the vehicle by having his or her hands off the steering wheel AND foot off pedal at the same time." The driver must be still always be ready to take control of the vehicle, however. So, level 2 means two functions automated. Easy to remember, right?

Level 3: Drivers are still necessary in level 3 cars, but are able to completely shift "safety-critical functions" to the vehicle, under certain traffic or environmental conditions. It means that the driver is still present, but is not required to monitor the situation in the same way it does for previous levels. Jim McBride, autonomous vehicles expert at Ford, said, "the biggest demarcation is between Levels 3 and 4." He's focused on getting Ford straight to Level 4, since Level 3, which involves transferring control from car to human, can often pose difficulties. "We're not going to ask the driver to instantaneously intervene—that's not a fair proposition."

Level 4: This is what is meant by "fully autonomous." According to the DOT, level 4 vehicles are "designed to perform all safety-critical driving functions and monitor roadway conditions for an entire trip." It's what Tesla says will beavailable by 2018.

*Level 5: It should be noted that some organizations, like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), have their own charts that refer to "Level 5" vehicles. This refers to a fully-autonomous vehicle that does not have any option for human driving—no steering wheel or controls.

Reactions: voip-ninja
Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned an idea that the windshield is actually a transparent LED. That is probably the furthest "out there" thing that could be possible.

The logical problem in my head is balancing the idea that there must be some kind of one-of-a-kind feature coming with the purpose of the Model 3 -- EV for the masses. This makes me think that it is likely software based rather than an expensive piece of hardware. Though I suppose it is possible there is something in store that is just an expensive option. I.e., the LED windscreen is a $7,000 upgrade.

I think it will be some sort of a revolutionary HUD. Elon previously mentioned that driving the car was akin to a spaceship, and a fancy HUD could do the trick. It could be another situation similar to AutoPilot where the hardware is installed on all the cars, and maybe enabled in a basic sense (projecting speed, charge life, etc), but could have additional features added later or for an upgrade fee.

I would like the idea of a Model Y, but I guess it would be too soon. They already have too many orders for the 3, ramping up two different cars might be even harder, but who knows. A coupe and possibly a wagon would also be nice, but that will also just be future options for Tesla to grow market share.

Like most, I would also bet on a HUD of some kind, and knowing Tesla, it will be a very nice HUD. I also suspect they will tell us some additional facts and figures, like range of the bigger battery version, as well as some performance figures and some hints at pricing.

But I do think that won't be enough, there is going to be something very important they haven't told us. It won't be autopilot, because there is too much regulation that has to be overcome, so it won't be legal in one and a half years.
So I do believe it will be faster charging, that would make it appeal to a much broader audience. If Porsche and Audi are already planning for 15 minutes, then Tesla can do that, too.