TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

I can't imagine - What will part 2 bring?!

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Bimbels, Apr 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Could the Roadster/MS redesigns be hidden under these on the left?

[​IMG]

2. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Maybe when retracted the steering wheel would park itself behind the monitor! Right hand drive would be possible with some basic software configuration setting.

3. Tdriver

Tdriver Member

Forget the dash display. I can see a touchscreen on the steering wheel. It will one touch operation of all stalk controls plus driving data. It will have to be hinged to allow for the airbag but cheaper than the stalk and dash display method.

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Member

Augmented reality would be dope. But that's where I begin to worry about cost.

5. ryan0402

ryan0402 New Member

Elon did say that part 2 would "take things to another level", which to me might include a Model Y variant which the another level statement would be subtly referring to height of the variant car. Very simplistic but Elon's style.

6. JamesPolk

JamesPolk Member

JB already said Model 3 will consist of two variants. Part 2 will be the next variant of the Model 3. I'm hoping CUV/Liftback type.

7. mhan00

mhan00 Member

Maybe the base model has a standard HUD with basic information like speed, power consumption, and misc, with an upgrade option for an augmented reality version?

8. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

I hope not I love the front they showed

9. AUSinator

AUSinator Member

It's not about stimulating reservation it's about the competition not knowing exactly what they are bringing or want to bring to the market in almost 2 years. It's also 2 times advertising

• Like x 1
  10. ummgood

ummgood Member

I don't think they'll be another variant but I could be wrong. It is hard enough to ramp production on one car let alone 2. Here are some of my thoughts.

1. They'll address the empty dash and why it is there. The steering wheel will change and there will be some killer feature that Elon is holding back on. I honestly don't think this is a hud.
    2. They'll talk about the main option packages like batteries, performance, etc... Plus price.
    3. I think there might be some supercharger thing they will announce. I had the thought that you would pull up near the supercharger and do something on your dash to tell them you are ready to charge. Then your car can wait and charge itself and when done pull out automatically. This way you can go have lunch etc... and not worry about your car being plugged in too long. If all the Model 3's have the Auto Pilot hardware they could provide this even if you don't select the Auto Pilot software upgrade.
    4. Perhaps some other options would be some icing on the cake.

• Like x 1
  11. Chrisuk83

Chrisuk83 Member

With regards to the tinting glass, something like this...

• Like x 3
  12. ummgood

ummgood Member

Actually I am envisioning something like the windows on the Boeing 787.

• Like x 3
  13. Chrisuk83

Chrisuk83 Member

I remember a car, maybe on topgear 20years ago. It was left hand drive, with three touch of a button it was right hand drive. Can't remember what car it was but would be good of that was the case for the 3. I'm in the UK btw :(

14. weak_pig

weak_pig Member

Wouldn't full autonomy require the human to input destination prior to every trip (even short ones)? Else how else would AP know where to go?

15. ummgood

ummgood Member

You put this on and it reads your mind...

MindReading.jpg

• Funny x 1
  16. ModelNforNerd

ModelNforNerd Active Member

Level 5 would be great, but we're years away from that, more years than the wait will be for the Model 3 to hit production. Level 4 is as high as it will go.

Remember, level 5 means there are no human-operated controls in the vehicle, nor the expectation of them.

Level 0: This one is pretty basic. The driver (human) controls it all: steering, brakes, throttle, power. It's what you've been doing all along.

Level 1: This semi-autonomous level means that most functions are still controlled by a driver, but some (like braking) can be done automatically by the car.

Level 2: In level 2, at least 2 functions are automated, like cruise control and lane-centering. It means that the "driver is disengaged from physically operating the vehicle by having his or her hands off the steering wheel AND foot off pedal at the same time." The driver must be still always be ready to take control of the vehicle, however. So, level 2 means two functions automated. Easy to remember, right?

Level 3: Drivers are still necessary in level 3 cars, but are able to completely shift "safety-critical functions" to the vehicle, under certain traffic or environmental conditions. It means that the driver is still present, but is not required to monitor the situation in the same way it does for previous levels. Jim McBride, autonomous vehicles expert at Ford, said, "the biggest demarcation is between Levels 3 and 4." He's focused on getting Ford straight to Level 4, since Level 3, which involves transferring control from car to human, can often pose difficulties. "We're not going to ask the driver to instantaneously intervene—that's not a fair proposition."

Level 4: This is what is meant by "fully autonomous." According to the DOT, level 4 vehicles are "designed to perform all safety-critical driving functions and monitor roadway conditions for an entire trip." It's what Tesla says will beavailable by 2018.

*Level 5: It should be noted that some organizations, like the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), have their own charts that refer to "Level 5" vehicles. This refers to a fully-autonomous vehicle that does not have any option for human driving—no steering wheel or controls.

• Like x 1
  17. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Somewhere in another thread someone mentioned an idea that the windshield is actually a transparent LED. That is probably the furthest "out there" thing that could be possible.

The logical problem in my head is balancing the idea that there must be some kind of one-of-a-kind feature coming with the purpose of the Model 3 -- EV for the masses. This makes me think that it is likely software based rather than an expensive piece of hardware. Though I suppose it is possible there is something in store that is just an expensive option. I.e., the LED windscreen is a $7,000 upgrade.

18. pinski

pinski Not Ludicrous

I think it will be some sort of a revolutionary HUD. Elon previously mentioned that driving the car was akin to a spaceship, and a fancy HUD could do the trick. It could be another situation similar to AutoPilot where the hardware is installed on all the cars, and maybe enabled in a basic sense (projecting speed, charge life, etc), but could have additional features added later or for an upgrade fee.

19. S3XY

S3XY Active Member

#99 S3XY, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Elon has already said that RH countries would be last to start receiving deliveries. Why would they have to do that if they can just slide the steering wheel over to the right side?

20. R.S

R.S Active Member

I would like the idea of a Model Y, but I guess it would be too soon. They already have too many orders for the 3, ramping up two different cars might be even harder, but who knows. A coupe and possibly a wagon would also be nice, but that will also just be future options for Tesla to grow market share.

Like most, I would also bet on a HUD of some kind, and knowing Tesla, it will be a very nice HUD. I also suspect they will tell us some additional facts and figures, like range of the bigger battery version, as well as some performance figures and some hints at pricing.

But I do think that won't be enough, there is going to be something very important they haven't told us. It won't be autopilot, because there is too much regulation that has to be overcome, so it won't be legal in one and a half years.
    So I do believe it will be faster charging, that would make it appeal to a much broader audience. If Porsche and Audi are already planning for 15 minutes, then Tesla can do that, too.