Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I challenged the dragon (Wales).. and I lost!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw your post about the Tre’r-ddol (Polar) charger on Zap-Map. I have a trip coming up with the family at the end of this week, that charger played a big part in my plan.

I joined Polar Plus on a trial specifically - and when tested my card on our nearest one which had the same behaviour - all seemed good for 2 minutes / 2% then it clicked out, and displayed an error on the screen? Makes me worried this is an issue with the Tesla firmware (I'm on 2020.28.6) as another post on Zap Map said successful charge on CCS the next day. What firmware are you on? Have others had issues with Polar CCS charging?

This charger is a 50 mile detour to my journey - so if it doesn't work then it's costing 50 miles. I might just turn sentry mode off, drive carefully and hope to make it back as far as Telford SuC on my way back?

That would be 203 miles, potentially in the rain, with a car full of people and an overnight stop off of about 24 - 30hrs.

M3LR, heavy foot! :confused:

Theoretically possible?

That is exactly what’s happening, 2% charge (two times) then a 5% charge (when initiated by the support team) then gives an error on the charger screen and stops charging. Car says something like “charger not ready” and you can disconnect it but the charging station and the app remain frozen at “charging” and you have to call support to release it and try again.

Yes, my software version is 2020.28.6

Excellent write up!
I broke my longest distance record a couple of days back with a Beverley->Norwich->Beverley trip.
Did home to Norwich and then back up to the chargers at Grantham with a ridiculous 253.7 miles, 225 wh/mi and 13% battery left.

15 mins charge and a coffee and I'm back on the way home.

If there wasn't a SC and I had to rely on others (which is why I had the Rex i3 before) I'd be scuppered.

I saw your post about the Tre’r-ddol (Polar) charger on Zap-Map. I have a trip coming up with the family at the end of this week, that charger played a big part in my plan.

I joined Polar Plus on a trial specifically - and when tested my card on our nearest one which had the same behaviour - all seemed good for 2 minutes / 2% then it clicked out, and displayed an error on the screen? Makes me worried this is an issue with the Tesla firmware (I'm on 2020.28.6) as another post on Zap Map said successful charge on CCS the next day. What firmware are you on? Have others had issues with Polar CCS charging?

This charger is a 50 mile detour to my journey - so if it doesn't work then it's costing 50 miles. I might just turn sentry mode off, drive carefully and hope to make it back as far as Telford SuC on my way back?

That would be 203 miles, potentially in the rain, with a car full of people and an overnight stop off of about 24 - 30hrs.

M3LR, heavy foot! :confused:

Theoretically possible?

If planning the overnight stop then take a granny lead and extension?
As per my previous there is a new morrisons charger in Oswestry and an ecotricity at the roundabout (probably won't work). If really desperate I'm 15 miles from Oswestry.....

.....fun driving at 450-480 Wh/mile.

Bugger, that is what I call FUN driving!

The lack of chargers in Wales is a national disgrace.

They spent all their money on that joke hydrogen car and filling stations.

“Where do you get the hydrogen from to refill your cars?” -

And nothing is simple.....or cheap

Hydrogen fueling station - Pure Energy Centre

"In the case of an H2 station, the prices do fluctuate between £50,000 to £120,000 (and sometimes a little more). Note that this is only the price for the dispenser – that is the device that dispenses the hydrogen into the vehicles. This price does not include the hydrogen production system (i.e, electrolyzer), the storage system, the compression, and the cooling.

The price will be higher for complex hydrogen fueling station with the complete system including the cooling and communication."

Reactions: J0hn.r
I went to college in Bangor (many years ago) and revisited the area in 2018. Unfortunately I had a horrible diesel rental, but I did notice some chargers in various locations - such as a real Tesla wall charger setup at our hotel in Beaumaris, Anglesey.

Overall it did seem quite the charging wasteland, which is a real shame. it is very important to have visible chargers to make people feel 'safe' even if they don't get much actual usage - that leads to EV adoption

If planning the overnight stop then take a granny lead and extension?

I'll have these with me to cover all bases, but where we're staying doesn't have parking anywhere near it!

It does look as though there are some 7kW chargers around if its looking tight; but according to ABRP I can make it, and I'd changed the settings to be quite cautious too. (Extra weight and rainy conditions)

I live in Wales, only just, and have thus far only ventured as far as either Cardiff or the Brecons in my Model 3. Not yet embarked on a longer trip here. Sounds very different to the positive experience I just had visiting Scotland for a fortnight using the excellent ChargePlace Scotland network of chargers plus superchargers in Gretna and Perth.

I always however have every cable I own in the frunk, including an extension cable and the type 2 cable that Tesla supplied. Wouldn’t drive anywhere without them. Just in case.

Reactions: drewpost
Posts like the OP's and this one remind me that we have a L O N G way to go in the UK before EVs get close to replacing ICE cars. In the meantime, I'm personally not going to stray too far from the SuC network, or at least a known good destination charger. I'm now 10 months in to my Model 3 ownership and apart from a short charge on an Ionity charger in Germany (which wasn't a great experience but it did at least give me 50kW) I've not gone near public chargers.

Posts like the OP's and this one remind me that we have a L O N G way to go in the UK before EVs get close to replacing ICE cars. In the meantime, I'm personally not going to stray too far from the SuC network, or at least a known good destination charger. I'm now 10 months in to my Model 3 ownership and apart from a short charge on an Ionity charger in Germany (which wasn't a great experience but it did at least give me 50kW) I've not gone near public chargers.
I'm heading to Zipworld at Bethesda at the end of the week. It's a 190mile round trip from the last chance Shifnal Supercharger. Ought to be doable despite the hills driving sensibly but if it goes wrong the topup options are very few and far between and mostly 1 off Ecotricity. It's pretty grim.[/QUOTE

just noted this Plug Share show chargers at Zipworld that are working. Enjoy the rides. Going to be there on the 13 Sept.

Yesterday I faced the dragon and lost.... a few hours of my life

I planned to go to west Wales (Aberystwyth) from Bristol (276 miles total). 3 rapids in the vicinity (no SuC, are you kiddin'?? heh heh), all with successful charges a day before, no problem!
Set off at 6AM bright and early, In a playful hoon mode all the way there, the roads are just brilliant (especially on a Sunday early morning with no traffic).
View attachment 580111 View attachment 580112View attachment 580113

Got to Aberystwyth University (Polar) at 8:08 AM (after 124 miles). With 16% battery instead of the predicted 50% but that’s not a problem, fun driving at 450-480 Wh/mile.
The plan was to leave the car there for 1hr charge and visit the seafront. On screen: charger out of use. On the call with support they confirm there’s nothing they can do.

Next stop: Morrisons (Geniepoint). App won’t connect. A number of retries and a reset, still will not take the command to start charging.
I try the only other option in town, a 21kw Type 2 (Dragon Charging, actually Polar) but.. these don’t have cables and I don’t have mine. Who thought 3 rapids will not work?? (My bad.. it won’t happen again).

I abandon the plan to visit the city and drive about 15mins to Tre’r-ddol (Polar). Got there at 9:30 AM. Initially this charger does not take “orders” either. I call, they reset it. Then it appears to work. For 2 mins! After 2% charge it stops. Have to call support again as the app was frozen at “charging” and I can’t try again. Another attempt, another 2% before stopping with error. Another call at support..this time they initiate the charge and it seems working... for 7%! I drank a coffee and during that it stopped again. Meanwhile an I-Pace shows up with 6 miles left in the “tank”. I drop the news and leave, as they were even more desperate for a charge. I hope those guys managed to charge somewhere!
View attachment 580114
I drive to Llandrindod Wells, 50 miles in 1h22 (35mph average), no AC no lights no music, foggy windows, I barely reach with 3%. 255 Wh/Mile as it's quite hilly (+666.7 ft elevation). Finally, a charger that works!
View attachment 580117
I get home 2 hours later than planned (3PM), with nothing visited and very little time for relaxing things to do. The drive was very nice and scenic but sadly I am afraid to do it again. At least, not venture that far.

Luckily I wasn’t with my wife and 2 kids, or I would have spent even more time as I would have had to choose the 7kw Tesla destination chargers, as there’s nothing in between.

Lessons?
1. Bring your AC cable. Always
2. Even your most considerate plans may fail. Set some time off for the unplanned events. Especially in remote places where you’re relying on 1 or 2 chargers
3. Dress warmly/appropriately - even if the weather seems nice. I had a proper jacket so I could drive with no AC. Not always possible
4. Pick a destination with a supercharger around. Not always easy
5. Always call support (they can either fix things, or at least are aware and issues get fixed afterwards). With my luck, even 11 calls and 1h30 on the phone did not help much
6. Always leave “checkin” reviews on your favourite app (I use ZapMap). Really useful to know a charger just worked fine, or isn’t working and I don’t drive there for nothing.

Come on, mr. dragon (Wales), you’re lagging behind!!!

View attachment 580115

Yesterday I faced the dragon and lost.... a few hours of my life

I planned to go to west Wales (Aberystwyth) from Bristol (276 miles total). 3 rapids in the vicinity (no SuC, are you kiddin'?? heh heh), all with successful charges a day before, no problem!
Set off at 6AM bright and early, In a playful hoon mode all the way there, the roads are just brilliant (especially on a Sunday early morning with no traffic).
View attachment 580111 View attachment 580112View attachment 580113

Got to Aberystwyth University (Polar) at 8:08 AM (after 124 miles). With 16% battery instead of the predicted 50% but that’s not a problem, fun driving at 450-480 Wh/mile.
The plan was to leave the car there for 1hr charge and visit the seafront. On screen: charger out of use. On the call with support they confirm there’s nothing they can do.

Next stop: Morrisons (Geniepoint). App won’t connect. A number of retries and a reset, still will not take the command to start charging.
I try the only other option in town, a 21kw Type 2 (Dragon Charging, actually Polar) but.. these don’t have cables and I don’t have mine. Who thought 3 rapids will not work?? (My bad.. it won’t happen again).

I abandon the plan to visit the city and drive about 15mins to Tre’r-ddol (Polar). Got there at 9:30 AM. Initially this charger does not take “orders” either. I call, they reset it. Then it appears to work. For 2 mins! After 2% charge it stops. Have to call support again as the app was frozen at “charging” and I can’t try again. Another attempt, another 2% before stopping with error. Another call at support..this time they initiate the charge and it seems working... for 7%! I drank a coffee and during that it stopped again. Meanwhile an I-Pace shows up with 6 miles left in the “tank”. I drop the news and leave, as they were even more desperate for a charge. I hope those guys managed to charge somewhere!
View attachment 580114
I drive to Llandrindod Wells, 50 miles in 1h22 (35mph average), no AC no lights no music, foggy windows, I barely reach with 3%. 255 Wh/Mile as it's quite hilly (+666.7 ft elevation). Finally, a charger that works!
View attachment 580117
I get home 2 hours later than planned (3PM), with nothing visited and very little time for relaxing things to do. The drive was very nice and scenic but sadly I am afraid to do it again. At least, not venture that far.

Luckily I wasn’t with my wife and 2 kids, or I would have spent even more time as I would have had to choose the 7kw Tesla destination chargers, as there’s nothing in between.

Lessons?
1. Bring your AC cable. Always
2. Even your most considerate plans may fail. Set some time off for the unplanned events. Especially in remote places where you’re relying on 1 or 2 chargers
3. Dress warmly/appropriately - even if the weather seems nice. I had a proper jacket so I could drive with no AC. Not always possible
4. Pick a destination with a supercharger around. Not always easy
5. Always call support (they can either fix things, or at least are aware and issues get fixed afterwards). With my luck, even 11 calls and 1h30 on the phone did not help much
6. Always leave “checkin” reviews on your favourite app (I use ZapMap). Really useful to know a charger just worked fine, or isn’t working and I don’t drive there for nothing.

Come on, mr. dragon (Wales), you’re lagging behind!!!

View attachment 580115

Yep.

Mid and West Wales are particularly poorly served.

Re: Polar - have you updated your app to the BP Chargemaster one?

I relate to your pain and not being able to relax.
I live in Cardiff and travelled across the Pembs coast last week but took a diesel car rather than my MX. I only did this after checking and finding many of the public chargers in the areas I wanted to go to we’re marked as “out of order” on Zap Map and at other destination sites - not good! Even A number of destination charger sites are out of action due to sites being closed. This was a relaxing break and didn’t want being stressed thinking about charge points!
I understand Aberystwyth is down for SC at some point. I have wondered why no SC are being considered around Carmarthen as a gateway location to travel further West. Will write to WG and Tesla regarding this.

Drove Nottingham to Haverfordwest in March and earmarked a few public chargers for top ups away from the Supercharger network. Struggled in St Davids as charger in the gallery car park was being replaced, probably very slowly due to to Covid-19. Ut I arrived with plenty of charge so was ok. That evening I tried the granny cable for the first time (we could park right outside our lodge window!) and got a decent charge overnight using that. I don't go anywhere without all those cables! I might also add an extension to the frunk like someone else above.

Off to N Wales in November, around Abersoch, and staying in a National Trust (NT) cottage. Thankfully, that part of Wales has many NT car parks, many of which have 7kWh chargers - including the one by our cottage - so I think we'll be ok. From what I can tell, once you've paid the NT car park fee the chargers are free to use

The situation in Wales is very disappointing. Long before buying my M3 SR+ in March, I naively though that, when looking at the Tesla Supercharger map, that coming in 2019 meant exactly that, so I was looking forward to Superchargers already being in place for Aberystwyth, Builth Wells and north Wales by the time I got my car.

In July, we did a drive from Penarth (near Cardiff) to Colwyn Bay in north Wales and it was only achievable by leaving Wales and going up the M5 to Hilton Northbound and then cutting back into Wales at Chester, thereby missing all the amazing scenery, which is half the fun. Luckily, we were able to trickle charge in Colwyn Bay during our stay, which was more than adequate for local trips.

I'm currently planning a trip to northern Portugal, which is logistically less of a hassle than a trip to West Wales. Any journey to St David's, Newport (Pembs) or Newquay looks scary. It's crazy that the EV network can support a 3,200 mile round trip to Portugal but falls short for a west Wales day trip.

I agree that Carmarthen would be a sweet spot for west Wales and the Builth Wells Supercharger can't come soon enough!

The situation in Wales is dire. What makes it worse is when there are rapids on the map, and they don't work or they are a terrible company that require membership or something like that.

We did a trip from Penarth - Aberystwyth, overnight then return in the winter. The hotel had a Rolec charger so we were able to fill it full overnight but without that the public chargers around Aber were all out of town so wouldn't have worked for what we had planned.

You just wish Instavolt were everywhere!

saw a Model 3 for the first time charging at the Instavolt near Carmarthen (Texaco service station) on A48 earlier this week. First car I've seen charging here in fact.

I may end up using that one whereas for petrol/diesel I wouldn't have bothered. Nice little cheeky coffee stop 40 minutes from home.

This post and thread has been very informative so thanks for that. I am getting a MXLR in October which will be my 1st ev, currently driving a XC90 T8 so know a bit about range anxiety only getting 250 miles per tank and mid Wales petrol stations close early. I am not light footed and enjoy driving, I have a regular drive of 215 miles down the M5 from Bridgnorth to Saltash and naively thought the Polar charging stations at the hotel would just work! I know there are super chargers on the M5 but charging over night seems more convenient.
Could someone tell me the real range of a MXLR on a motorway perhaps a tad over the speed limit and also having fun on the country lanes please. I know there are variables but there must be an average? If I am reading things correctly then the real range of fun driving in Wales is about 160 miles (20% battery left) which is lower than I thought.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Rustybkts