Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't care about non-EVs anymore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People that need to have a bunch of noise to prove their cars are running are missing something in the head. I prove my car is running by leaving the hot rod next to me sitting at the light while I rocket across the intersection when the light turns green.

It used to be that noise equaled power, but that's not the case anymore. The few gear heads that still need noise are just a sorry segment of a past age. Glad some of us could move on.
Spoken like somebody who has never driven a truly engaging and fun car.

Oh, I just realized who posted this. I guess I shouldn't have expected anything better after looking at the poster's history of contemptuous posts for anybody who doesn't agree with his opinion.

I hope you go out and enjoy your car and don't keep getting upset at the people on here with differing opinions and experiences. Even if we are missing something in the head and stuck in the past. :D

And probably don't read this article from another head case. While the author kinda goes over some of the same points too much (and I'd argue not the interface issues enough), it echoes a lot of feelings from people who enjoy driving:

And while this guy is probably trying to get clicks as much as anything, much of his frustration, lack of attachment to the car, and quickly-tiring party tricks of his (now sold) car also ring true:

I'm guessing the guy in the hot rod was having a lot more fun (and doesn't have anything to prove, unlike any insecure gentleman trying to beat him at every stoplight). :D

People have different experiences and opinions. The more one gets out and enjoys different things, the more one's mind opens up.

Last edited:
Reactions: AMPd
I do miss a good 6 speed manual. I gave my car to my son so I can still drive it sometimes. Other than that I have gradually totally stopped reading road and track after 30 plus years. Was not the same after Peter Egan left anyway. Once I get rid of the last kid I’ll get a used convertible. Maybe.

1665185077503.png

People that need to have a bunch of noise to prove their cars are running are missing something in the head. I prove my car is running by leaving the hot rod next to me sitting at the light while I rocket across the intersection when the light turns green.

It used to be that noise equaled power, but that's not the case anymore. The few gear heads that still need noise are just a sorry segment of a past age. Glad some of us could move on.

It's just funny reading these comments...you just don't get it (including the others in the comments above). You're driving a 4 door sedan. It's not a sports car. Never will be. It's not all about the straight line speed. The car isn't unbeatable, even my Model S Plaid. It's tough to beat straight line no doubt however, the brakes suck, the handling is a joke, it has boring looks and style. It's an excellent daily driver and discreet speed. There's plenty of other cars that are slower straight line that'll wax a Plaid on a track. It's easy to refuel whereas you're out of charge after one track session. The Tesla, like any other car, is a tool. It's good at some things and not so good at others. Same applies to the ICE cars. Don't even give me the "oh the Roadster is coming." Driving that, or a Rimac, is like watching a silent movie. Sure it may be a great movie but you have no music or SFX to complete the movie.

Variety is the spice of life. I have three very different ways of experiencing speed and fun in my cars. None are perfect. One can do what the others can't and vice versa. I'm sorry but if you think any Tesla holds a candle to my Ferrari, or any other sports car for that matter, I'll laugh you to the moon and back. I've frequented the Plaid to a few cars and coffee and no one gives a *sugar* what it is. It's like a Porsche 911, unless you "know" the Plaid is a 75D just like a 911 Turbo S or GT2 RS is just a Carrera S to the untrained eye. At least my other cars doesn't have panel gaps and creak and rattle and have piss poor customer service like my Tesla. Love the Plaid, hate the service.

People that have this rod up their butt about Tesla being better than everything else is what gives you guys a bad name in the car circles. I will at least appreciate and enjoy many different cars. I have in the past, I do currently, and will continue to do so.

307577808_614848942703_7004262412905595950_n.jpg

307159037_614849037513_6313653611120577744_n.jpg

As a daily driver, I would not consider a non EV vehicle. However, at this point, there are no EVs that look anywhere close as good as ICE sports cars. Just the timeless beauty of a Porsche 911, most Ferraris, Lambos, Mclarens etc.
I'm considering a 1958 Vette as a weekend car.
Love my Model X Plaid but in the looks department, it's not an exciting car. It's not ugly but nothing compared to a nice sports car. I personally love a nice V8 rumble or a Ferrari V12 sound. Sure, the Plaid will beat them in a straight line but those cars still look and sound better than any EV. Currently, me and the wife only own EVs but I'm not opposed to owning a cool ICE vehicle. Certainly not as a daily driver but as a weekend fun car.

It's just funny reading these comments...you just don't get it (including the others in the comments above). You're driving a 4 door sedan. It's not a sports car. Never will be. It's not all about the straight line speed. The car isn't unbeatable, even my Model S Plaid. It's tough to beat straight line no doubt however, the brakes suck, the handling is a joke, it has boring looks and style. It's an excellent daily driver and discreet speed. There's plenty of other cars that are slower straight line that'll wax a Plaid on a track. It's easy to refuel whereas you're out of charge after one track session. The Tesla, like any other car, is a tool. It's good at some things and not so good at others. Same applies to the ICE cars. Don't even give me the "oh the Roadster is coming." Driving that, or a Rimac, is like watching a silent movie. Sure it may be a great movie but you have no music or SFX to complete the movie.

Variety is the spice of life. I have three very different ways of experiencing speed and fun in my cars. None are perfect. One can do what the others can't and vice versa. I'm sorry but if you think any Tesla holds a candle to my Ferrari, or any other sports car for that matter, I'll laugh you to the moon and back. I've frequented the Plaid to a few cars and coffee and no one gives a *sugar* what it is. It's like a Porsche 911, unless you "know" the Plaid is a 75D just like a 911 Turbo S or GT2 RS is just a Carrera S to the untrained eye. At least my other cars doesn't have panel gaps and creak and rattle and have piss poor customer service like my Tesla. Love the Plaid, hate the service.

People that have this rod up their butt about Tesla being better than everything else is what gives you guys a bad name in the car circles. I will at least appreciate and enjoy many different cars. I have in the past, I do currently, and will continue to do so.

307577808_614848942703_7004262412905595950_n.jpg

307159037_614849037513_6313653611120577744_n.jpg
That is a beautiful car

It’s crazy just how much I disagree with everything you’ve ever posted.

Ps. Thanks for putting other peoples lives in danger as you “rocket across the intersection”. Imagine saying this right after accusing people of “missing something in the head” because they enjoy the sounds of their ICE.

I beg to differ. The taycan is an absolutely stunning vehicle.

View attachment 861654
The Taycan looks great but the Lambo looks better IMHO. I understand that taste is different.. I have always liked the looks of Lambos. However, the ones I wants are too expensive. Wife would kill me if I'd spend that much on a car. I was surprised that she let me buy the Plaid.

Reactions: AMPd
The Taycan looks great but the Lambo looks better IMHO. I understand that taste is different.. I have always liked the looks of Lambos. However, the ones I wants are too expensive. Wife would kill me if I'd spend that much on a car. I was surprised that she let me buy the Plaid.
My favorite was the lambo. Now it’s the new Tesla roadster (if it ever comes out).

For those in a lower income bracket (retired ) we love our 2021 Model 3 AWD LR. That being said, I still do some woodworking, minor landscaping around the house and of course, helping move other things. Bought a 1996 GMC Sonoma from a retired friend, 56K miles for $3K. So, do I care about not EV vehicles...I do, a little bit or until Tesla makes a truck (like the Rivian, not the angular beast )

I was, and to an extent am still, a car guy.

Did the whole European hot hatch tuner thing in the very early 2000’s spending an absolute fortune.
Have done the muscle car thing with tuning etc.
Done the off-roading thing with a heavily modded a wrangler TJ.
Have had the comfy luxury executive car.
Have had the performance executive car.
The only thing I haven’t owned is a truck.
Even built up my own adventure motorcycle.

Always worked on my own vehicles (executive cars aside).

For new vehicles if it’s not full electric I’m just not interested, I don’t even watch the YouTube reviews of exotics.
I did consider getting a classic of some kind but I fail to get really enthusiastic about any of them and would rather use the money to move to newer EV etc.

I enjoy the challenge of rescuing an old car that has been sitting 15-30 years and getting it up and running and driving. Once it runs and can move under it's own power then I decide if I want to keep it or sell/part out. Then the suspension brakes and steering. Body work last. Even if the engine is a gonner I can usually find cheap running engine.