Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I don't think Tesla's for me.. :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will say though that before you write off Tesla, you might want to look at an S or X at some point down the road. Those are the more premium flagship vehicles.
The Model S and X interior aren't dramatically better than the 3/Y. Yes, you get something besides the awful, idiotic black plastic trim, and the dashboard looks a little nicer, but the seats aren't an improvement, nor are the cabin acoustics, road noise, etc.

I should clarify the $848 is inclusive of MA tax.. I believe the base is more like $790/mo.
I imagine a brand new custom order M3 LR with FSD and Acceleration Boost (adding $10k) could be leased for 36 months/15k miles per year for a little over $800/month (before taxes) with $695 acquisition fee and $0 down. Unless you were to throw in cash to sweeten the lease takeover, you probably wouldn't find many takers as the "savings" otherwise wouldn't be worth it.

You could get a lease buyout figure from Tesla but you'd be paying many thousands of dollars to get out of the lease and then have no car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I agree. I'm currently paying $500 /month for my maxed out 2019 P3D- I bought (barely) used. Even a new P3D+ would've cost me $800 /month. I can't see myself paying more than that for a non-performance.

yeah, $800+ for a non P model 3 would be tough to find anyone willing to do that.

I put down $1000 (technically $3500 but got back $2500 for CA rebate) and pay $655/mo for 10k/yr for my P3D-

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
You say that like you're trying to shame Genesis for being a rebadged Hyundai, and yet, Hyundai offers more luxury and creature comforts than Tesla does, with better build quality based on the last few years of reports.

No, I say that like I have an Acura thats a Honda and Tesla's interior luxuries and "creature comforts" are on par. Hell, even my Mazda 3's creature comforts and luxuries aren't that far off from my Acura. My point being that no car manufacturer is that far off on "Luxury" and "creature comforts". Keep the car, save your money, buy a used Genesis/Benz for half the price.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Also, for people now thinking about leases, down payments are absolutely horrible. If the car gets totaled the day you drive it off the lot, insurance will pay out directly to Tesla to cover the value of the vehicle, Tesla than will NOT polity send you back your full down payment or a prorated amount or anything.

As long as money factor (interest) is low, there is no reason not to carry as much cost of the car as possible into the lease payments.

The Model S and X interior aren't dramatically better than the 3/Y. Yes, you get something besides the awful, idiotic black plastic trim, and the dashboard looks a little nicer, but the seats aren't an improvement, nor are the cabin acoustics, road noise, etc.
I would have agreed with you on that up until the Raven suspension was introduced on the S/X. That finally brought the ride up to a high-end luxury experience IMO, which somehow seems to make the interior feel more serene. It is pretty magical and a non-trivial improvement over prior S/X. The cabin noise is improved too for some reason (though sound system in 3 still wins). Of course you can still argue about the interior or outdated design, but I think people who have preferences in that area that aren't met by a Tesla are already prioritizing other cars.

That said, every time I get back in my S after driving a 3, it does feel like a large boat for a few days.

• Informative
Reactions: Redbrick
Also, for people now thinking about leases, down payments are absolutely horrible. If the car gets totaled the day you drive it off the lot, insurance will pay out directly to Tesla to cover the value of the vehicle, Tesla than will NOT polity send you back your full down payment or a prorated amount or anything.

As long as money factor (interest) is low, there is no reason not to carry as much cost of the car as possible into the lease payments.

Except MF is terrible on Tesla leases. About 5.2 percent.

• Disagree
Reactions: dcm3

As an owner of this year's Model S and a two year old 3, I disagree. You use the word "dramatically," which does not define your statement, and your use of the word "idiotic" shows that you are biased. Personally, I find the seats in the S better than the 3's, the dash is MUCH nicer, as the 3 doesn't have one, and the road noise is substantially less in my S.

If you could use an acoustic meter in each car to verify your claims, you might have something, but as it is, I think you're just wrong.

You say that like you're trying to shame Genesis for being a rebadged Hyundai, and yet, Hyundai offers more luxury and creature comforts than Tesla does, with better build quality based on the last few years of reports.

And yet, Hyundai is not a major brand, while Tesla has moved to just below Toyota. Must be all that quality. I guess I'm not all that in a swoon over "creature comforts", but am excited with driving electric. And driving FAST and SMOOTH.

Maybe an ICE dealer will buy out your lease and sell you something cheap. They are not selling many these days.

That might actually be worth him considering. Potentially Jag or Audi might have some options for him if he was looking at their electric cars... I know they’re currently extremely discounted. However, I personally would still stress over the DC charging networks compared to the superchargers. I know they’re getting better, but they still don’t have sites with a lot of stalls and I don’t like the patch work if different vendors and possibly wildly different reliability levels...