Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D9B3B026-7D17-47C2-9125-FB90DE7E01A6.jpeg
What do you guys think?

Unplugged Performance - Moderate Springs for my 2018 Model 3 AWD LR

Installed 3 days ago at UP shop in LA.

How it looks: I love the stance, the back is a bit lower than expected, but I’ll take it. Front looks just about perfect. Only one issue: have to use extreme angle to get up/down my driveway, and still I get little scraping :/

Handling: Way better than stock! Highway is where these springs really shine - when you get to speeds over 60 mph and do some lane changing and aggressive driving, you notice the springs really feel more firm and tight - gives you the feeling of being planted , much like my 3 series bmw with M sport suspension , so excellent handling at higher speeds, very noticeable improvement over stock springs.

Comfort: about the same softness during city driving, even on bumpy, bad roads, it still feels very factory, which I like.

and comfort level is on highways is slightly different than factory springs, I would say it’s about 20-25% more firm, so u feel the bumps a little bit more on highways, but def does not feel like a super firm suspension that feels all the bumps and cracks. So, For me, it’s a nice result.

Overall, I’m pretty happy with the springs. I just have to work out my driveway issue, maybe get a curb ramp or something to offset the difference, any ideas?

7AEB26D6-D313-4058-BFF8-18AA8C5A7E45.jpeg

Last edited:
For you all you that got the UP spring upgrade, I was wondering if you could provide your personal impressions of the changes in ride quality, comfort and handling from the perspective of before and after installation.

Thanks in advance...aloha!

The UP moderate springs are a little bit firmer; but it’s really not a big difference compared to the OEM ones. Cornering at high speeds is definitely sharper.
It really changes the look of the car. I was jaleous when I saw the new Toyota Camry’s sportier than my Tesla LOL...I’m really happy with my mods.

OP, an easy fix to your driveway problem is to buy some lumber from Home Depot to serve as ramps. Lay them lengthwise so you're only traveling the width (so like a couple inches).

They can butt against your driveway and can easily be put away in the garage.

After a day, I figured out how to get it up my driveway without scraping - I have to take an extreme angle and it’s fine.

I did buy a curb ramp online, but luckily I won’t be needing it - it would suck to have to use ramps every time to go up a driveway

Reactions: Shewillbemine
Update:

Have had the springs for over a week now and having one annoying issue:

clunking noise coming from rear end every time I turn into/out of a driveway or go over small bump — at low speeds.

It’s a loud clang/clunk type of noise and really feels like something is not right.

UP said to bring car back and they will investigate.

will post update next week

Update:

Took car back today to UP to diagnose the clunking noise coming from rear of car after moderate springs were installed.

They tightened things up and put sleeves over entire rear springs. Took an hour and after it was done , we did a test spin and I could still hear a light clunk pulling out of the driveway there.

I stopped and was able to back up and recreate the clunk 3 more times. Again, it seems to be coming from rear of the car. Same noise as before.

So, I took it back to UP shop and they recommended to swap the rear springs to Super Performance (SP) & leave front springs the same Moderates.

They didn’t have any moderate or mild in stock.

The UP rep said the SP springs will look exactly like the Moderate but with slightly stiffer ride. He said it will be same drop in height as Moderate.
They seemed real cool about working with me until I was happy, so that’s a plus.

So, lacking any other options - I agreed to do the SP replacement for the rears.

30 mins later, it was time to test the new setup.

One major thing I noticed right as I was walking to my car:

The rear of the car now is twice as high as before. I asked the UP rep and he was also a bit confused and said he didn’t know why it was higher than Moderate springs.

Now, the front looks low and back looks high. NOT exactly what I wanted - I def like the look of the Moderate springs better.

I really did not like the look of the car at first glance, but hey, maybe it wears on me?
The rear looks higher than Front. Before it was level.

At this point, It was getting close to closing time and told I left after spending 3 hours there.

But, I told them if I still hear noises or I don’t like the way it looks - I want to go back to Moderates. They agreed to let me swap. They seem pretty cool about making things right.

I will post impressions of how the car drives / handles with this MOD / SP staggered springs setup.

Last edited: