Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a ticket for no front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. Pay the fine.
2. Don't put the license plate on.
3. Don't make excuses it if you get pulled over again, just take the ticket as you would a speeding ticket.
4. I think challenging overreaching authority (and accepting the consequences) is a valuable lesson to be learned by children. The only thing you need to be careful about is making excuses or lying to authorities (e.g. "it fell off in the heat and I haven't had a chance to put it back on yet...") in front of your children; show them that you accept consequences of your actions without excuse.

Keep in mind that front plates laws were initially intended to benefit discovery of criminal activity (which I assume you are not participating in) but are now being monetized by private companies.

So how would that conversation go?

Dad, you got a ticket.
Yeah
Why?
Because I don't have a front license plate
It's against the law not to have a front license plate?
Yes
Then, why don't you have one?
Because I don't want one
So now what?
I'm just going to pay the fine
And then put the front license plate on?
No
Why?
Because I don't want to
Oh...
<pause>
Shouldn't you just write to our congressman about it or something, you know, like they teach us in school?
That stupid crap never works. Do you think this is 1957 or something?
Oh...
<pause>
So...it's OK to break the law, as long as you can afford the fine?
I guess

Awesome lesson, that.

Last edited:
So how would that conversation go?

Kid: Dad, you got a ticket.
Me: Yes
Kid: Why?
Me: Because I choose not to have a front license plate
Kid: It's against the law not to have a front license plate?
Me: Technically not a law, but yes, the vehicle code in this state requires the use of a front plate.
Kid: Then, why don't you have one?
Me: It ruins the aerodynamics and aesthetics of my car, causing increased energy use and lessening my enjoyment of the vehicle. I researched the issue and used my own judgement to determine that there is no safety issue and my civil disobedience in this case would not negativly effect any one else, so I made the decision to not mount the front plate knowing that the consequence is that I may get a ticket someday.
Kid: Can you just write to our congressman about it or something, you know, like they teach us in school?
Me: I have, I hope to change this statute here in our state. Did you know that 19 other states don't require front license plates?
Kid: So its okay to break the law if you don't agree with it?
Me: Yes, it's our duty as citizens to challenge laws that we don't believe serve the best interest of the people, but in doing so we need to make sure that we do so in a way that respects the property rights of others and that doesn't hurt other people. I tell him stories about the Scopes Trial and Civil Disobedience movements for civil rights for the women's vote, and 60's era sit ins.
Kid: Cool, can I go play Call of Duty?
Me: Have you finished your homework?
Kid: No, but I don't agree with your rule that I have to do homework first.
Me: Okay, but are you prepared to deal with the consequences of that choice?
Kid: <pause> I guess not... will you play with me when I get done with my homework?
Me: Sure!

Awesome Lesson Indeed!

what was more shocking to you: Brexit or England losing to Iceland?

Hehehe ... we always perform badly in major Football competitions (although I'm old enough to remember watching us winning the '66 world cup final). Anyway, we are talking about the Tennis just now, OK? :p

Personally I'm happy with Brexit - I don't want a single federal state; economic union is fine by me, but that's it.

with all registration and insurance information residing securely on the DMV/law enforcement shared data base, why we need to show proof of insurance and current vehicle registration these days

Based on the UK example be careful what you wish for! All our insurance, road tax and MOT (annual inspection of vehicles over 3 years old) is online. You don't need any physical documents (e.g. to renew your road tax payment). We abolishing have a Road Tax sticker (in windscreen) a year or two back ...

... but at the same time they changed the Road Tax so that it is no longer transferable to a new owner. So on the day you sell the car you get a refund on the unused portion of your road tax, and the new owner buys "new" road tax. The sale will not be midnight on the last day of the month, of course!, the road tax period is "whole months", and the refund is less one whole month (so in effect you lose two months money) and the new guy has to pay for a month for the part-month left. Crooks! Assuming that a car changes hands on average once every 3 years that, if my maths is right, is an 8% price increase.

It is estimated that 20-25% of all California drivers are uninsured ... Front plates are not the real problem

Uninsured Cars on the road have fallen 50% in the last 10 years in the UK, presumably due to being able to detect them (and that is a key part of having done away with a physical road tax windscreen sticker). [10% increase in vehicle numbers during that time, too]

The speed cameras here are viewed by motorists as being revenue-raising, rather than safety related [as Police routinely state]. There are a very few cameras at accident hot-spots, but in the main they are on straight stretches of road. We used to have rear-plate cameras - so in approaching and driving past them you had plenty of opportunity to slow down. Now we have front-plate cameras, with number plate recognition, and average-speed calculation between cameras. They are a PITA even apart from anyone wanting to break the law / do "10-over" or whatever. Majority of cars have speedos that are 3 - 5 MPH optimistic [I drive / set cruise control to speed indicated by SatNav, even my MS is 2 MPH high] and get stuck behind people clearly thinking they are driving at the speed limit ... so that's it I DON'T CARE IF IT IS SAFER, GET RID OF FRONT PLATES IN THE UK !!

Kid: Dad, you got a ticket.
Me: Yes
Kid: Why?
Me: Because I choose not to have a front license plate
Kid: It's against the law not to have a front license plate?
Me: Technically not a law, but yes, the vehicle code in this state requires the use of a front plate.
Me: I have, I hope to change this statute here in our state. Did you know that 19 other states don't require front license plates?
Kid: So its okay to break the law if you don't agree with it?
Me: Yes, it's our duty as citizens to challenge laws that we don't believe serve the best interest of the people, but in doing so we need to make sure that we do so in a way that respects the property rights of others and that doesn't hurt other people. I tell him stories about the Scopes Trial and Civil Disobedience movements for civil rights for the women's vote, and 60's era sit ins.

Except it IS the LAW. You do your child a disservice if you tell them, "technically not a law," which is an untruth.

Using the "but the it's not illegal in other states" argument works as well as trying to talk your way out of being arrested for possessing medical pot in Arkansas.

• Love
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
It is also the law in parts of New England to this very day that no horseless carriage may enter town without being preceded by a man waving a red lantern - so as to not scare the horses.

It's called discretion. Closely related to common sense. Related thereto: One of the reasons you don't get pulled over for not having a front plate is because it is not a primary infraction.

Not sure which are worse. Badly-written or outdated statutes, those who blindly follow badly-written or outdated statutes, or those who play the "think of the children" card.

It boils down to the fact that you simply take a risk of getting a fix-it ticket if you don't mount it. Most police officers won't pull you over for it unless they are looking for a reason to do so, or you ticked them off something fierce. My 2005 Mustang has been without a front plate for 11 years now and I have yet to be cited, even when I got a speeding ticket. Before that, I had a plateless 2002 Focus for seven years with the same results.

I might break with tradition and put one on my M3 when it gets here, just because the bumper seems more inviting for it. The Mustang bumper is pointed in the middle so it looks kinda lame having the plate there.

Here is my true story:

I have not mounted my front license plate. Last August my wife and I visited her brother who lives in southeastern British Columbia. We entered Canada at a tiny port of entry north of Spokane. When we arrived at the Canadian check point, the officer gathered our passport/passport card and started asking the usual questions about where we were going, how long, why, contraband, etc. My wife and I are both in our '60s.

He then inquired why we did not have a front license plate! He stated that California requires one. I said, "Officer, you are correct. We think mounting the front license plate spoils the aesthetics of the car." I then said very politely that if this is a citable offense, that we would return to Washington and mount the plate before attempting reentry into Canada.

He waved us through.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
Got a ticket years ago on my Mazda Miata for not having a plate while parked in Santa Clara (or was it San Jose) on the Alameda. I happen to think it was because I was parked outside a Planned Parenthood facility. (Not protesting, supporting) Never been tagged since Tesla or other car for not having a front plate in the Bay Area 1998-2016 (just once as noted above)

outdated, needless law

Got a ticket years ago on my Mazda Miata for not having a plate while parked in Santa Clara (or was it San Jose) on the Alameda. I happen to think it was because I was parked outside a Planned Parenthood facility. (Not protesting, supporting) Never been tagged since Tesla or other car for not having a front plate in the Bay Area 1998-2016 (just once as noted above)

outdated, needless law
San Jose. And if you're a dude, you deserved a ticket for driving a Miata regardless of where you were parked.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler and 1208
Except it IS the LAW.

You're right, I found the law in NJ: 39:3-33. "The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle;"

I thought that the law would say something to the effect of: "the transportation department has the right to enact regulations... blah blah blah" and the regs would define how the plates were displayed; but, it looks like the law doesn't care (1 plate or 2), but the DMV has decided to issue me 2, which enacts the 1st provision of the statute.

All that said; my core point was that I have the right to disagree wth the government and exercise my right to civil disobedience. (which is an important lesson for children and adults alike...) as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences and don't endanger anyone else.

@rxlawdude have you never exceeded the speed limit?

I found the law in NJ: 39:3-33. "The owner of an automobile which is driven on the public highways of this State shall display not less than 12 inches nor more than 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position, and in such a way as not to swing, an identification mark or marks to be furnished by the division; provided, that if two marks are issued they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; and provided, further, that if only one mark is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle;"

This excerpt from the NJ law does not seem to admit any exceptions. However, here in Quebec, we don't have front plates since 1979, so I'm wondering what would happen if an officer decides to give us a ticket. But I never heard about people having issues with that when driving in the rest of North America (including ourselves driving our Quebec plated car for half a year in Central Illinois, and traveling all over the US).

Clearly you've never driven a properly tuned Miata on a winding road through the Santa Cruz mountains.

Lack of a front plate sure helped with cornering to maintain that nice 50/50 weight ratio
In our younger days the Mrs. and I rocked our power-nothing Chevy Nova through those hills. People knew we were bad ass because of the old school, hand-crank windows and lack of a/c.

Cars should have them on the top like taxis...

crown-vic-taxis.jpg

and on the side like old motorbikes...

bsa_g14.jpg

Now there is no need to give me dislikes its hardly going to give some politician the idea. Unless I start an online petition...:D

Reactions: SwisSojourners
"As of September 2009, the following states require only a license plate on the back bumper: Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Arizona, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana and West Virginia."

To be fair, many of these states do not require a front bumper either... ;)

+1 for the Torklift, though I have not yet ordered one.

Reactions: TaoJones
In my most unhumble opinion (IMMUHO)...F-em! I refuse to put a plate on the front of my car. I can't believe that WeHo is that persnickety. For G-d's sake, they are dealing with gay boys (of which I am one, so I can say that). This front plate thing is ridiculous. Why is it that some states require them and some do not? Nobody catches a plate from the front. Only the back: cops, EZPass, etc.

It's like requiring us to pull in front-first in a parking garage. Why???

There simply are more important things for our law enforcement to do. And I bet they agree.

I agree with you. The whole head in only parking thing is all about seeing the plate and current registration tag. It lets "code enforcement" roll through parking structures and more easily write tickets. I also guess that in busy parking structures it could really slow things down if you had to wait for multiple people to do a multipoint turn so they could back in. But it really is about the revenue. I got two tickets years ago for not having the plate and not parking head in.

Paid the fine, didn't do the plate, all is good.

Also, in terms of setting examples for kids. Many have chimed in here about the issue and I see both points, but realistically I don't think you can exist in our society with out breaking known and unknown laws - since archaic ones often don't go off the books. I teach my kids commonsense and that things like speeding, while illegal, is safer if the majority of cars are doing it. You become unsafe being the car going 55mph when everyone else is going 75mph, and can be cited for it.

Nothings perfect.

Reactions: CHG-ON and TaoJones