Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got a ticket for no front license plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone verify if the refreshed model S, that they do install the license plate frame at pickup?
Picked up a refreshed model in June from the factory. The front plate was on all the cars being picked up. From other threads, it seems they will install it whether you want it or not. You can remove it yourself. It's a pain to do it, but it can be done. There's a few threads on that.

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
UPDATE: I decided to install the front plate using double sided tape which I applied to the back of the license plate frame that came with the car. I used shallow screws and nuts to secure the plate to the frame so nothing would rub or scratch the front grille.
Yesterday was a hot day but I drove the car to the PD, went inside and asked the officer to examine and sign off the ticket. When I went back outside to wait for the officer I noticed the whole thing fell off from the heat. What a time for disaster to happen. I quickly put it back on and pressed it with my knees. The officer came out looked at it and agreed the plate was installed. We went back inside, he signed off and the fine was reduced from $24 to $10. When I came back out, the plate fell off again. So I calmly picked it off the ground and left quietly. So the lesson is not to use double sided tape on a hot day!

@rxlawdude have you never exceeded the speed limit?

Odebek, I'd answer that question, but I'd have to kill you. :)

Look, there's a difference between stretching a speed limit (an ephemeral violation by definition) versus putting a big red target on your vehicle by ignoring the front plate display law. Perhaps a difference with minor distinction, but I'll opine you will always be in violation, in or out of your vehicle, by ignoring the front plate. At least with speeding, someone has to catch that violation at the time. ;-)

Look, there's a difference between stretching a speed limit ... versus ... ignoring the front plate display law.

Yes, I would say that the differences are:
  • Lower fines for the infraction
  • No effect on insurance rates
  • Longer range for the EV
  • Not increasing chance of accidents
  • Not increasing damage from accidents
  • Not endangering the life of your kid sitting next to you...
Try explaining that to your kid...

Yes, I would say that the differences are:
  • Lower fines for the infraction
  • No effect on insurance rates
  • Longer range for the EV
  • Not increasing chance of accidents
  • Not increasing damage from accidents
  • Not endangering the life of your kid sitting next to you...
Try explaining that to your kid...
Hey, I don't make the law, but the sense of entitlement of drivers of high-end cars that the law doesn't apply to them is rather obvious. Just check for front plate compliance in Newport Beach or Beverly Hills vs. San Diego, Riverside, Chico or Eureka. Do an analysis of scofflaws violating the plate law, and I'd bet money the inflection point of violations vs cost of the car is somewhere around $40K.

But I'm guessing you're affluent and not brown or black, and you've never experienced that extra sense of scrutiny by law enforcement. That leads to that entitlement I spoke of.

Explain THAT to your kid.

(And P.S., I'm not brown or black, but understand the law applies to everyone.)

Last edited:
But I'm guessing you're affluent and not brown or black, and you've never experienced that extra sense of scrutiny by law enforcement. That leads to that entitlement I spoke of.

I agree that people of color should not have to worry about being profiled and scrutinized by law enforcement; however, that same profiling happens if they even slightly exceed the speed limit... another thing that affluent white scofflaws (like us) take for granted, and that you seem to have no problem with.

All I am saying is that your moral code is inconsistent, and it's better for all concerned if we restrain from judging others based on our own moral certainties.

Magnets. See <http://teslatap.com/modifications/magnetic-front-license-plate/> for info. I used Neodymium 7/8 X 1/4" NdFeB magnets from CMS Magnetics <http://www.magnet4sale.com> in the license plate frame, and larger 1 X 1/2" magnets glued inside the nosecone. I originally glued them in using epoxy, but after about 6 months, I removed the nosecone and saw that the epoxy was cracked and didn't look like it was holding the magnets too well. I re-glued them with healthy globs of "Shoe Goo".

Reactions: Odebek
No need for it in DFW, at least, I've driven the past 3.5yrs in my S's without an issue. Sure, if they really need a reason to pull you over then they can use it, but so far, so good.

Thats because here in Texas while they have the law in place for front plates, there is no penalty for breaking the law. So officers don't waste time to enforce a law that makes them no money.

For the OP, 3M VHB is plenty strong enough to hold the plate, my last S had a couple or radar shifters fixed with it because I didn't want to drill, and no issues at all, regardless of whether it was 110f, or freezing cold with snow.

And 3M is used for putting seamless glass windows on skyscrapers so it should work :)

Obviously, you've never been pulled over Driving While White. I'd opine the many people of color who have been pulled over would disagree, except for the ones that then got shot.

This is off the topic but from watching COPS for many years and talking with my friends in law enforcement, I can conclude that over 90% of violent arrests by police is due to the suspect not listening to the commands given by the officer. This is true for whites, blacks, brown yellow and red.
When the police officer tells you asks you to see your hands, or put your hands out of your pocket, or get on the ground, you obey his command. Its plain English, but no, they don't listen and get Tazed or worse get shot. Those in law enforcement have no idea who you are when he pulls you over. Thats why he has one hand on his gun.

Pete8314 thank you for the 3M tape suggestion
MSM thanks for the magnet links

I agree that people of color should not have to worry about being profiled and scrutinized by law enforcement; however, that same profiling happens if they even slightly exceed the speed limit... another thing that affluent white scofflaws (like us) take for granted, and that you seem to have no problem with.

All I am saying is that your moral code is inconsistent, and it's better for all concerned if we restrain from judging others based on our own moral certainties.
Did I say I have no problem with speeding? I merely point out that a "permanent" violation like refusing to display a plate solely for vanity is different than occasionally, perhaps innocently or even for a purpose like not causing a hazard exceeding the posted limit. One shrieks entitlement, the other is utility related.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Obviously, you've never been pulled over Driving While White. I'd opine the many people of color who have been pulled over would disagree, except for the ones that then got shot.

Eh? Actually, I have been pulled over via profiling back in the day. Hell, one time I barely got my keys out to open the door when I got lit up for having the temerity to resemble a guy that had just shot up a convenience store. So I guess that was a WWP - Walking While Plaid.

Anyway, so much for that assumption.

0-1.

As for entitlement, that's rich. No pun intended. It's a flat out fact that there are some owners who simply don't want front plates for aesthetic reasons. I have a personalized plate. It would probably look decent on the front of the new Model S when that time comes. In the meantime, I'll rely upon my MagnePlate kit in case I remember to use it if I ever find myself in Santa Monica. If you ever see my car at LAX, call the cops as it will have been stolen.

I believe my first post in this thread listed the ways my car may be out of compliance. In this state, that's a grand total of close to $2,000 in tickets and that's if I'm not speeding. Which, as an aside, I curiously no longer do much of since getting a Model S. There's just no need - and besides, it would shorten each trip. Rather antithetical, that.

I remain fully prepared to pay the tickets, as well as the significant cost of retinting, if and when I am randomly selected to donate revenue to the gubmint. Unless and until *that* day, I'll continue to appreciate the aesthetics, less glare, and dashcam footage.

Simple cost-benefit analysis.

Entitlement? Not so much.

0-2.

Did I say I have no problem with speeding? I merely point out that a "permanent" violation like refusing to display a plate solely for vanity is different than occasionally, perhaps innocently or even for a purpose like not causing a hazard exceeding the posted limit. One shrieks entitlement, the other is utility related.

i disagree and think my previous posts do an adequate (and logic based) job in defending my position, no need to rehash.

I think we need to agree to disagree.

Reactions: TaoJones
This is off the topic but from watching COPS for many years and talking with my friends in law enforcement, I can conclude that over 90% of violent arrests by police is due to the suspect not listening to the commands given by the officer. This is true for whites, blacks, brown yellow and red.
When the police officer tells you asks you to see your hands, or put your hands out of your pocket, or get on the ground, you obey his command. Its plain English, but no, they don't listen and get Tazed or worse get shot. Those in law enforcement have no idea who you are when he pulls you over. Thats why he has one hand on his gun.

Pete8314 thank you for the 3M tape suggestion
MSM thanks for the magnet links
I always roll down the window and put both hands on the door in plain sight of the officer. You don't know what his last call was or what just came over the radio. That plus a few other things has kept me ticket free since the 70's.