Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I got locked out of my car!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How does this happen? My fob was in the car (along with my phone) when I got out and walked away for about 10 minutes. When I returned the handles would not present. In the past I have gotten out (husband had his fob in his pocket) and when I returned to the car, it was unlocked. What the heck?

The car won't present the handles since it doesn't really know you are approaching since the fob is in the car. And the car is probably not locked since the fob is inside. Did you try touching/pressing the handle to get it to present....?

Reactions: Snerruc
...My fob was in the car (along with my phone)...

This subject has come up many times but it seems that thieves are more knowledgeable than many owners after they read the instructions.

There have been numerous reports that thieves steal a Tesla because a fob is left inside the car.

Here's another repeat of instruction of how to get in with a fob inside:

1) Press HARD on door handles.

If that fails, go to your hatchback

2) Open your hatchback door. That will present your door handles.

Twice since the 2017.42 release I have been in my car with the fob on my purse in the passenger seat and had the car tell me "keyfob not inside". I double clicked the fob as if I was unlocking the car and it then recognized it. I dont know if my fob battery is getting low or if it just gets blocked a lot or if this is some new software problem.

I don't keep walk away lock on, for these reasons.

Twice since the 2017.42 release I have been in my car with the fob on my purse in the passenger seat and had the car tell me "keyfob not inside". I double clicked the fob as if I was unlocking the car and it then recognized it. I dont know if my fob battery is getting low or if it just gets blocked a lot or if this is some new software problem.

I don't keep walk away lock on, for these reasons.
Too bad there’s not an obvious battery meter (my BMW complained when the battery was getting low... all I’ve see here is dead fobs!).

You might try using a more ‘outside’ pocket on the handbag and see if it helps. Another consideration is, is the car really awake in the first place? I assume so, since you’re inside it. But maybe trying Always Connected?

Too bad there’s not an obvious battery meter (my BMW complained when the battery was getting low... all I’ve see here is dead fobs!).

You might try using a more ‘outside’ pocket on the handbag and see if it helps. Another consideration is, is the car really awake in the first place? I assume so, since you’re inside it. But maybe trying Always Connected?

Last week my dash display indicated a low battery voltage on my FOB. 2017.42. Assuming others receive the same info when their FOB battery voltages are low.

I hang my fob on a ring on the outside of my purse, and I do use Always Connected. So, who knows. If it continues to occur, I will change the battery, even though I haven’t gotten any notices the battery is low.

“Always Connected” huh, I will look into that - Thanks.

Reactions: boaterva