Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I have a roof leak, Tesla says rotten wood

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here are more pics, couldn't get more due to the tight space in the attic
20191110_120033.jpg
20191110_110016.jpg
20191110_110025.jpg
20191110_110049.jpg
20191110_120019.jpg
20191110_120033.jpg

Reactions: charlesj
Those last pictures are places where they were just a little off on their first try to hit the rafter. Assuming they adjusted their hole and hit the rafter on the second try, and they installed a proper flashing, they aren't really cause for concern. Although the frequency of the near misses does suggest sloppiness.

The other holes you've shown are, of course, ridiculously poor work.

Cheers, Wayne

I had a similar issue with my installation (the installers missed the rafters). They installed cross braces in all the areas the were not directly under the area that the panels were being placed. In the end, they limit in a total of 93 cross braces and drilled 0 “extra” holes in the roof. To me that is a much better solution than trying to make it work by drilling more holes. I am very happy with the job they did.

Attachments

• 53192C97-6940-4A76-AC3B-ED16D075A8B7.jpeg
    53192C97-6940-4A76-AC3B-ED16D075A8B7.jpeg
    591.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 6AF5EB4C-BAE8-4A33-89FB-330E92AFBE26.jpeg
    6AF5EB4C-BAE8-4A33-89FB-330E92AFBE26.jpeg
    881.8 KB · Views: 138
  • Informative
Reactions: brkaus
My concern here is that if they drilled as shown, why would they have properly flashed afterwards, especially the wholes in the wrong place.
The black compound could give way and leak in the future if not properly fixed.
That is what I stated in my arbitration complaint. The same mounting points for the panels could have been used for the fall protection. No need for extra holes in the roof. My roof is a 4/12 pitch, it is not steep

My concern here is that if they drilled as shown, why would they have properly flashed afterwards, especially the holes in the wrong place.
I should clarify my earlier comment.

If the holes shown from the attic side actually have support brackets above them, then the fact that the first attempt to get the fastener in the rafter missed doesn't matter. The black goop dripping out isn't the primary water seal, the support bracket flashing is. People like to squirt the black goop in the fastener hole, but with a properly designed support bracket flashing, it doesn't do much and isn't necessary.

But if those are holes that are currently abandoned, and the only water proofing is the black goop, that's unacceptable.

Cheers,
Wayne

Reactions: GenSao and brkaus
I might not be an expert, but it does look like that rafter at least has some water damage, and the plywood is significantly compromised. It is nails causing it, not the big holes.

While Tesla may have caused the leaks to manifest, the compromised wood looks like the root cause.

You might want to get a moisture detector to see where the most waterlogged wood is.

I might not be an expert, but it does look like that rafter at least has some water damage, and the plywood is significantly compromised. It is nails causing it, not the big holes.

While Tesla may have caused the leaks to manifest, the compromised wood looks like the root cause.

You might want to get a moisture detector to see where the most waterlogged wood is.
The nails you see are the plywood fasteners that missed the rafters. They are covered with roofing paper, then the shingles. So, no, that is not the cause most likely. Even if the nails are from the shingle nails, that too is covered by the overlapping shingle.
And, if he didn't have a leaking roof until panel installation, I highly suspect an installation caused leak.
The discolored wood could have been there when built.
Yes, a moisture meter might show something.

I have some experience from building that house in my picture;)

Reactions: Gixx1300R
That's what it looks like to me. He had several pictures of the roof where they did just that, filled holes when they missed.
Sure, there are plenty of those. But if those are near misses with a fastener actually in the rafter, they would look exactly the same underneath. It could be either, you can't tell from the attic. You need to correlate the locations with what you see on the outside.

Cheers, Wayne

How often and likely are these missed rafter drills? I'm looking to get my panels installed above a vaulted ceiling with exposed rafters. It would be awful if they missed like this
How often by installers or on the poster's roof?
His 1 st post has a number of pictures that shows the grey mastic filler used, one area a large grey patch.
Hard to say what other installations missed rafters unless reported.
This seems to be the only one at this forum but the number of posters are small compared to all Tesla installations.
I think only the hard core posters come here;) :D

The problem here seems to be less the fact that they missed rafters, but rather the drilling directly through the shingle. I'm not an installer and not a roofer, but that CAN'T be how your supposed to do this. Wouldn't you lift the shingles and drill underneath them when necessary?

Looks to me like a guy got trained to do installs on a flat commercial roof and just applied that skill to a shingled sloped roof. None of this should be too hard to fix. Just flash the hell out of it, no?

The problem here seems to be less the fact that they missed rafters, but rather the drilling directly through the shingle. I'm not an installer and not a roofer, but that CAN'T be how your supposed to do this. Wouldn't you lift the shingles and drill underneath them when necessary?

Looks to me like a guy got trained to do installs on a flat commercial roof and just applied that skill to a shingled sloped roof. None of this should be too hard to fix. Just flash the hell out of it, no?
Yep, you are correct. Shingles should have been lifted but that takes time. ;)

That is what I stated in my arbitration complaint. The same mounting points for the panels could have been used for the fall protection. No need for extra holes in the roof. My roof is a 4/12 pitch, it is not steep
Hi Gixx1300R, what is the result of your arbitration? This roof leaking due to poor installation seems very common in Tesla solar panel. I would like to learn how you ended up with this issue. Thanks!

I have a roof leak under my solar panels. I measured where it is leaking from inside the attic ,transferred the measurements outside and it lines up with close with a mounting point under a panel.

I called Tesla and they said to get a roofing contractor in my area to send them a statement that the leak is related to the panel. Tesla also said that a contractor would be able to remove the panel and do the repair. They would not have to come and remove it. I asked if they had a list of contractors they work with and they said no ... to just call around.

Is that correct? Seems like since they technically own the panels they would want to control who takes them off.

Background: Installed around 2012 in Maryland. It was a 20 year prepaid PPA. I purchased the house about 3 years ago and everything was transferred to me.
It doesnt work that way. Tesla is responsible for finding, removing the panels and repairing the leak. Remind them of what your contract says, they may be in breach of contract if they refuse to come out, inspect and repair the leak.

Reactions: morph3ous
I would never do it this way! A roofing contractor will be inclined to give a reason why your roof is “bad” and you need a whole new roof, and Tesla were turn around and say, “See? it’s not our fault”

I’m not saying anyone is “bad” here, but generally mixing one company trying to maximize revenue, with one trying to minimize liability is never a good combination when you’re stuck in the middle.

Bottom line, Tesla sent an inspector before they did the install, so by default, your roof was in good condition. At the very LEAST, Tesla needs to send someone to look confirm it was not them, or that you have some kind of accelerated rot not related to the install.

I had a roof leak one year after my install, and Tesla sent a team right away and fixed it (bad seal job on one roof penetration)

I remember comnenting how quickly they sent people out, and the team manager said, “We have to, because if the leak is our fault we could be liable for any and all water damage it caused” that answer seemed eminently logical to me. If some third party did anything related to the issue there are just too many ways information/processes can be lost control of. This is exactly the same reason Tesla can void warranties on damage to cars that have aftermarket suspensions, and require Tesla service for continued full warranty protections.

Talk to them again… Sounds like someone over there is just getting a little lazy…

Oh shoot! I just saw how old this post is! lol!