TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

I have the loudest brakes in the world. Please help

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by hipringles, Feb 11, 2016.

1. hipringles

hipringles Member

2013 P85+ plus. Brakes are insanely noisy (squeak like crazy, plus a loud noise as I stop). I have turned the regin to low and done some aggressive breaking, but after 24-48 hours, it returns.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket brake-pad or anything which isnt embarrassingly loud?

2. InternetDude

InternetDude Member

Have you tried fast or long braking in neutral? Anytime my brakes get squealy, one or two neutral brake sessions clear it right up. You need to bypass regen to get rid of a bit of rust. If the pads are worn down due to wear, they are making noise to tell you they need replacement. You didn't say how many miles are on your car.

3. hipringles

hipringles Member

31k, it's had this since I got it in July, with 22k.

I will do a few 70-0's in neutral when I get it back from service, otherwise I'll see if they will replace t

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Do you get noise all the way through braking? The only thing I get is an occasional squeak when stopping in dry. But I almost always get it when wet. You might need to get your shims checked. That's a common culprit in "regular" cars.

5. .andrew

.andrew Member

Do they sound like this?

Squeaky Brakes on Vimeo

I took mine to the service center and they determined that due to infrequent use the rotors had glazed over. To rid the noise they took a grinder to the rotors. Fixed the problem for about a week but it is starting to come back. They recommended to do a few aggressive brakes whenever it returns and that does seem to resolve it for a bit.

6. sorka

sorka Active Member

That sounds like the back of the brake pads vibrating against the caliper due to not enough or no brake quiet lubricant. Is it happening on both sides?

7. .andrew

.andrew Member

Hard to tell from inside the cabin, but to the best that I can tell it happens from both sides.

8. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Wow! Is that annoying! I only seem to get the stopping squeak when it rains now. I don't get the release sound. I got a lot of it when it was new. But I had read that the pads need to get seated, which makes sense. The great thing about regen is that we rarely use our brakes. The bad thing about regen might just be this. I live in the mountains, so I do use my brakes more than somebody who lives in the flats. That may be why I don't have the problem.

9. TSLA Pilot

TSLA Pilot Member

BETTER: Perform the SB on this and get it fixed the right way!

After living with this for over a year on our '13 P85, we finally had a great tech (Thanks Jack!) do the right thing after complaining of this several times and having nothing other than the standard "oh, you need to use the brakes more" BS from others at the local SC. (This after telling them the brakes are regularly used A LOT, and from high and low speeds--this is a P85 driven with enthusiasm:)

Details:

"Road tested the vehicle and verified owner's concern, just before coming to a stop the brakes will make repeated brake noise from the front brakes. Verified early front brake rotors are on the vehicle; necessary to install the updated rotors per the SB."

Part
    Front Brake Rotor with AS-CAST outer hat (1025099-00-B)

Oddity: I'd swear I see the original brake pads were re-installed. Holy cow, why? If I'd known I'd have paid the $ to replace them with new, since the calipers have to come off for the new rotors anyway. Plus, it appears from the marks on the rotor that they're not quite smoothly contacting the rotor, to be expected when you re-use pads--who does this?!?

Really strange that they didn't even ask me about replacing the pads at my expense or otherwise. Sometimes I wonder why Tesla does what it does . . . .

10. hipringles

hipringles Member

due to unscheduled service I brought this issue up again and guess what?

"REPLACED: FRONT BRAKE ROTOR WITH AS-CAST

OUTER HAT (1025099-00-B)"

11. markn455

markn455 Member

Mine sounds like this. I did determined that a few at speed stops will make it go away for a short period. Drives me nuts. I will have the SC take a look the next time I am in for scheduled maintenance.

12. St Charles

St Charles Member

I've always understood this to be because brake squeal can be caused by the wear patterns in the rotors and pads. to rid yourself of squeal you would need to change both pads and rotor(resurfacing the rotor should work as well.) If you change one, change both.

13. Warren-RB

Warren-RB Member

14. St Charles

St Charles Member

Huh, is the rotor a direct replacement i.e. bolt pattern, thickness? That would save a buuuuunch of coin over buying parts from Tesla.

15. Warren-RB

Warren-RB Member

Yes Sir, everything except CamaroSS comes with emergency drum brake mechanism while Telsa although adopted the same rear rotor (come with brake drum), but replace the drum brake to EM parking brake.