Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I hope Tesla Lowers the Supercharging Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. I looked into adding a charger at home, but we might be moving in about a year. Grandfathered unlimited supercharging is very valuable, since the SC on my way home is not busy at all.

Not sure if grandfathered unlimited supercharging stays with the car when I sell.
If your car was built before 1/15/17, then the unlimited Supercharging would transfer to the new owner when you sell your car. If it was ordered after that date, it does not transfer.

If you look at your car details in the Supercharging section, you'll see whether it transfers or not. The AP2 S 90D that I have up for sale has free Supercharging that transfers to the new owner:
upload_2019-1-22_13-30-57.png

I agree. I looked into adding a charger at home, but we might be moving in about a year. Grandfathered unlimited supercharging is very valuable, since the SC on my way home is not busy at all.

Not sure if grandfathered unlimited supercharging stays with the car when I sell.
If the car was sold by Tesla as a used car with Free Unlimited Supercharging it goes with the car regardless of who the owner is. All of their CPO’s or used cars have had FUSC.

Indeed, quite the deal ;-)
For an even more impressive deal, check out EA: $1 to plug in, $0.33 a minute for up to 50 kW. Want a 10 kWh charge to get home ? $4.3, or $0.43 cents a kWh.

If the LEAF forum is anything to go by, they are taking the prices in stride because they are used to having nothing.
LOL, yeah. Maybe we are looking at the future in this instance, when there are more plentiful options for charging?

Anyway, I checked the location on Plugshare. It does indeed not have extra charge for the parking. However according to numerous check-ins, including Teslas, the ChaDEMO doesn't put out a full 50kW. More like 43kW, so it's about 28c/kWh. Still very competitive compared to Tesla SC in the region if you are keeping to 75% SOC or less and can spare some extra time.

“What is right” to you? That’s not a universal view.

Next you’ll be complaining about congestion at SCs and their inability to keep up with demand.

There will never be complaining about congestion at SC's outside of CA with the prices being what they are.

Now....there is no universal view of anything anymore..so….saying that there is no universal view means nothing.

Bump up the car prices slightly, then include "free home charger free installation!" That might solve part of the problem, encouraging people to charge at home more cheaply, freeing up SC's and reducing demand there, so fewer crowds at SC's and possibly lower prices.

As a counterpoint, I really hope they don't lower rates anytime soon. What the Supercharger network needs most right now is more. More stations at [some] existing locations, more locations, more CCS cables in Europe, more kW max charge rate. More doesn't come freely. Tesla is trying to be sustainably profitable, and if we want that (I do) and also for the Supercharger network to continue rapid expansion (I do), then Tesla pricing access sustainably is part and parcel.

I can see how folks would be annoyed that the rates have gone up twice pretty recently, and that some will feel that this is a betrayal of Tesla's promises. I can't say you're wrong. But as various military minds have said, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Not a perfect analogy here, but a useful one, IMO.

Tesla created the network to solve the chicken-egg problem of no one wanting to jump into a market with no quick refueling network, and no providers wanting to create such a network without a market existing first. They succeeded in that mission. Now they have a related but different issue--they're selling vehicles at a very impressive rate, and the Supercharger network needs to keep up with that rate of expansion. If you're annoyed that Supercharging costs are about equivalent to a gasoline hybrid vehicle, believe me when I say you'd be far more annoyed if you had to wait in line for an hour whenever you want to Supercharge.

Regardless of the somewhat muddled messaging from Tesla over time, Supercharging is for long-distance travel, and for locals who need to Supercharge because they cannot procure home or work charging sufficient to meet their needs. Full stop. If you're using it for those purposes, then the newly-inflated rates shouldn't be that disconcerting since you're either Supercharging fairly rarely or you're Supercharging in place of putting in or paying for your own home charging setup.

If you were instead planning to leech off the network just because it's cheap and you can, then I have little sympathy for you. Little rather than none because, again, Tesla has not done as good a job in communicating the Supercharger network's purpose as I'd have liked. But very close to none--at the end of the day, the success of Tesla in the general sense and of the Supercharging network specifically are far, far more important to me than the tears of a small subset of the population. That may sound harsh, but it is what it is.

You nailed it. I have a Model S with unlimited supercharging. I spent March - Dec of 2018 living in a company apartment with no regular access to wall charging. I have since happily returned home with a garage. During that time I had to 100% rely on supercharging and was driving between 50 - 100 miles every week day. Luckily in Dec 2018 a supercharger was put in about 5 miles from the apartment. In March it wasn't so bad, just factor in 30min or so of charging each day. A bit of a pain but easy just plan to eat or shop at Target. However by the end of the summer, it had become a nightmare. With everyone and their mother finally receiving their Model 3. It went from a 30min process of just pulling in and charging to strategically planning times when the charger wouldn't have a 10 car line. More than once, I took the car back home and took a Lyft or got a ride from a colleague. Tesla seems to be finally understanding the supply and demand issue they have. Personally I would take it one step further and use the surge model that Uber has. 10s of thousands of new cars released in a few months has strained this infrastructure to the point where people who really need it, sometimes can't use it.

As a counterpoint, I really hope they don't lower rates anytime soon. What the Supercharger network needs most right now is more. More stations at [some] existing locations, more locations, more CCS cables in Europe, more kW max charge rate. More doesn't come freely. Tesla is trying to be sustainably profitable, and if we want that (I do) and also for the Supercharger network to continue rapid expansion (I do), then Tesla pricing access sustainably is part and parcel.

I can see how folks would be annoyed that the rates have gone up twice pretty recently, and that some will feel that this is a betrayal of Tesla's promises. I can't say you're wrong. But as various military minds have said, no plan ever survives contact with the enemy. Not a perfect analogy here, but a useful one, IMO.

Tesla created the network to solve the chicken-egg problem of no one wanting to jump into a market with no quick refueling network, and no providers wanting to create such a network without a market existing first. They succeeded in that mission. Now they have a related but different issue--they're selling vehicles at a very impressive rate, and the Supercharger network needs to keep up with that rate of expansion. If you're annoyed that Supercharging costs are about equivalent to a gasoline hybrid vehicle, believe me when I say you'd be far more annoyed if you had to wait in line for an hour whenever you want to Supercharge.

Regardless of the somewhat muddled messaging from Tesla over time, Supercharging is for long-distance travel, and for locals who need to Supercharge because they cannot procure home or work charging sufficient to meet their needs. Full stop. If you're using it for those purposes, then the newly-inflated rates shouldn't be that disconcerting since you're either Supercharging fairly rarely or you're Supercharging in place of putting in or paying for your own home charging setup.

If you were instead planning to leech off the network just because it's cheap and you can, then I have little sympathy for you. Little rather than none because, again, Tesla has not done as good a job in communicating the Supercharger network's purpose as I'd have liked. But very close to none--at the end of the day, the success of Tesla in the general sense and of the Supercharging network specifically are far, far more important to me than the tears of a small subset of the population. That may sound harsh, but it is what it is.

Saw this coming a mile away. Snake everyone in with the free supercharging, then keep extending the 6 month "gift" to induce panic buying end of the year to secure as many sales as possible. Now that they have your money and you can't do anything rates were the only logical thing to go up...

Bump up the car prices slightly, then include "free home charger free installation!" That might solve part of the problem, encouraging people to charge at home more cheaply, freeing up SC's and reducing demand there, so fewer crowds at SC's and possibly lower prices.
Would be great if they could throw in a free NEMA outlet. Electricians around my area are jacking up the costs of installation because they know people want it for their Teslas.

I live in NC, and Tesla has recently raised the national average price for supercharging significantly. Currently the prices around me:

Fayetteville N.C. - .26c/KW (going rate is .06c for the city and state average)

Lumberton N.C. - .27c/KW

Why is it that Tesla decided to raise the rate so high that my model 3 now cost 6c per mile to supercharge - the same as if I would have bought a Rav4 Hybrid (5-6c/mile). Prior to the increase, it would cost me half of that per mile to drive the model 3 - 3c per mile. It is also priced WAY above utility rates in the state.

I bought this car in part to travel more and at the same time save money. Now I would have been better off to just get an ICE with the rates going up like they have. In one month of ownership, I've put 2,600 miles on the car and roughly 50% of those miles were supercharging.

For every supercharging stop I make, I could fill up at a gas station from empty to full 10 times. It is now not only less convenient to use my car for business travel, but also more expensive, something I honestly did not expect when purchasing the car. The trip savings estimator was very valuable to me as that was a $800 savings per year. Now it is near NULL.

I could get the best of both worlds with a Hybrid like the volt - Tesla, why are you doing this? Especially at a time where gas prices are seeing historic lows with a national average of $2.25/gal.

I charged in Greenville, SC yesterday at paid $7.49 for 150 miles of charge. This is more than double the same time last summer (various locations/states) and inching closer to gas prices for fuel-efficient sedans. I, too, only use superchargers on trips, and believe they are essential to widespread electric vehicle adoption, along with fuel savings. I liked it better when I could sell big trip cost savings that offset the added travel time. Now, seems less and less worth the time it takes coupled with increased costs.

That screws folks who already have home charging abilities (via a 15-40 in the garage or a dryer socket or whatever)

Better would be offer an option when you order the car for some reasonable fixed price to have a home charger installed for those who want/need one, without raising the price for those who don't.

You'd still need some kind of network of electricians who agree on a fixed price with Tesla- and you'd need some disclaimer in the sales agreement like "only covers installation up to X feet from panel, and assumes panel has room to add a circuit, additional charges may otherwise apply"

I believe all their used cars get FUSC, im sure its a demand lever to move used inventory.
I think you are mistaken. I looked at the descriptions for quite a few of the cars from Tesla, and they all fit the expected pattern for Supercharging, with no universal "free because you bought from us". Maybe someone who has actually purchased a Used Tesla from Tesla can enlighten us.

Yours is a reasoned response because we all need Tesla to beat the odds and continue thriving. Otherwise, our already challenged resale value would be somewhere south of an Edsel. Still, though I did not buy a Tesla to a make money on it, I did hope to reduce my incremental driving costs, meaning mostly my gas bill. If I were relying on the 100% profit margined SCs to make my case for buying a Tesla, I would never have bothered...or should I say, my wife would not have allowed it. So, though it is a difficult cost/benefit case to make, I think Tesla needs to pare it back to a about a 50% margin on the wholesale cost. I also think they should be seriously considering partnering with major oil companies who own most of the gasoline stations. The stations are mostly convenience stores. And those stores would gladly charge a minimal rate of cost +20% on KW just to ensure that well-to-do Tesla customers come in and get a 100% profit margin beverage and snack while they wait. There are so many ways to play this without disenfranchising their most important asset- present and future customers.

Reactions: Zaxxon