Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just ordered an ID4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my M3. I will certainly miss the performance and handling. But here's my reasoning.

- want something bigger, no Y in the UK and probably for some time.
- noise isolation seems a lot better (my wife is hard of hearing so this is particularly important
- lower performance might mean less car sickness from kids

More controversially

- cheaper per mile range cost with the extras we want
- I miss the build quality of German cars

Appreciate this might not make me popular on here but still wanted to share.

I'm currently thinking of an ID3 as second car, I really hope they get the software issues resolved as looking on youtube and forums it seems the ID3 is a mess. Hopefully the ID3 and 4 will be sorted when it's released.

I think if I was going through the whole buying process from scratch, and not knowing what I know now about the Tesla experience, the ID4 would be very high on my short list. If I add knowing what I know now about the Tesla experience, the ID4 would be top of my short list. However, that might change as more info on ID.4 comes out, but if its on a par with ID3, I don't think anything would change.

I wish you all the best and hope it works out well for you.

I had been conflicted between the Model 3 and the ID.3 and 4.

Loved the Model 3 test drive. Gave me the car, said go drive. I said how long do I have, they said “officially 45 mins” but don’t worry about it. Birmingham-St Andrew’s were excellent. Friendly, but not pushy.

I test drove the ID.3, which I liked. VW has the benefit of the hatchback (easier for the dogs) and the dealer is in town. The ID.3 is also closer to the size of car I usually buy.

So I waited until the Lease&Care quoted for the ID.4 became available.
For the same finance terms, the Model 3 was a lot cheaper. I could get an ID.3 for the same monthly payment, but at a much lower spec level.

So, on Tuesday I ordered DBM M3 SR+, as soon as the website said expected delivery in March (as current car doesn’t go back until mid-March).

Reactions: dhrivnak
Keep us posted! My wife now has an ID.3 and I've been using it a lot myself recently. It's a really nice car - quite different from the Model 3, but still very nice in its own way. We now have software 2.0 installed and it's pretty stable. The occasional glitch, but then again I get that with the Model 3 (e.g. voice command to make calls is now broken!). Build quality, paint quality, refinement, cruise control that works are all a step up on the Model 3. Public rapid charging, performance, infotainment, and the mobile app all a step down - you pays your money...

It looks like the ID.4 has a nicer interior than the ID.3, which is the only real complaint I have with the car overall.

Software 2.1 looks very close now (and it gets OTA capability). Rumours are by end of Feb, so it's likely that your ID.4 will come with it.

You might find this video interesting - the reviewer was very positive about the ID.4.

Last edited:
I love my M3. I will certainly miss the performance and handling. But here's my reasoning.

- noise isolation seems a lot better (my wife is hard of hearing so this is particularly important

More controversially

The ID.4 is also on my shortlist (of two, the other being the Mustang Mach E) as a replacement for my Model 3. The Model 3 is a very good car in many respects, but is, IMHO, let down very badly by a few day-to-day niggles that are now beginning to outweigh the joy of it's performance. My second winter with the Model 3 is really amplifying the everyday niggles, like the wipers and headlights, plus I'd like to get back to a car that suffers less from wind and road noise.

Before I bought the Model 3 I had a deposit down on an ID.3, but cancelled that order following the reveal at Frankfurt, mainly as I didn't like the interior styling. The ID.4 interior seems better, as does that of the Enyaq, although I couldn't live with the Enyaq's grille Also, I've owned hatchbacks for the past 15 years, and would like to get back to a car that's easier to lift stuff in and out of the back.

Finally, although it's not very prominent on this section of this forum, the "Cult of Tesla" does really wind me up, especially when someone assumes that, because I own one I must be a "fanboi". The thing's only a car, when all's said and done, and whilst style and design are important, everyday functionality is, for me, massively more significant. Being able to accelerate like a bat out of hell might be fun, but is pointless if you can't see where your going because the wipers or headlights are choosing that moment to throw a wobbly.

More controversially

I would very much appreciate a review of the car when you get it. Deliveries of the ID4 to the US should begin this year. Thank you.

Reactions: Ron_M3
Would definitely consider an ID3 or 4, having had a Model 3 for a year now. The Tesla is really quite noisy on the freeway and build quality is pretty bad on mine (stuff which I notice every time I wash it but clearly didn’t spot on delivery).

But VW has no current plan to sell _any_ EV where I live and when I bought the Tesla, DC charging infrastructure was almost non-existent except for Tesla’s superchargers.

Ah well, the 3 is still a super car.

Keep us posted! My wife now has an ID.3 and I've been using it a lot myself recently. It's a really nice car - quite different from the Model 3, but still very nice in its own way. We now have software 2.0 installed and it's pretty stable. The occasional glitch, but then again I get that with the Model 3 (e.g. voice command to make calls is now broken!). Build quality, paint quality, refinement, cruise control that works are all a step up on the Model 3. Public rapid charging, performance, infotainment, and the mobile app all a step down - you pays your money...

It looks like the ID.4 has a nicer interior than the ID.3, which is the only real complaint I have with the car overall.

Software 2.1 looks very close now (and it gets OTA capability). Rumours are by end of Feb, so it's likely that your ID.4 will come with it.

You might find this video interesting - the reviewer was very positive about the ID.4.

R.e. the app can you have it completely keyless with the app? I've grown so used to that.

I'm another potential ID.4 buyer here too. My wife has an ID.3 which is in for the software update just now ("It takes 18 hours so we'll need your car for three days...").

My original plan was to sell the MS I currently have and buy a MY when they come on stream from Berlin. If that drags on for too long though, the backstop option is a M3 LR. The main reasons I am thinking of switching away from Tesla are really continuing concerns about shoddy build quality (Elon Musk did little to dispel those concerns in his recent interview), and linked to that, the dreadful approach Tesla have to 'customer service'.

Given the reputation for fanboism Teslas have I don't think I have been on a forum where people are less fanbois than this one. Not sure if it's just British reserve or maybe Teslas aren't quite up to the hype. I have no regrets over buying my M3. it's not like there were any other good options in 2019. But when I get my next car which will be more MY than M3. I will definitely need to take a good look at the ID4 and whatever else is out there.

More controversially

Have you sat in one? Or sat in an ID 3? My car before my model 3 was a Golf, I've only ever had Golfs and loved them, and the build quality.

When I sat in the ID 3. I was sooooooooooo disappointed. I couldn't get over how cheap it felt inside. They've had to cut loads from their budget because of there diesel scandal, and it showed for me.

Have you sat in one? Or sat in an ID 3? My car before my model 3 was a Golf, I've only ever had Golfs and loved them, and the build quality.

When I sat in the ID 3. I was sooooooooooo disappointed. I couldn't get over how cheap it felt inside. They've had to cut loads from their budget because of there diesel scandal, and it showed for me.

Id agree with this. My partner and I both at in one with a Renault Zoe next to it and weirdly the Renault was far nicer inside. The VW felt super cheap, hadn’t felt materials like that since my first Corsa years ago.

As someone who has bad memories of car sickness as a kid, it is not related (for me) to fast acceleration/braking, so much as suspension and more gradual back/forward/back/forward (or sideways) repetitive movements (think sea sickness).

The fix, for me, was to look out of the window, which is the same as the fix for (mild) sea sickness (get on deck and focus on the horizon). If your kids are looking down at their phones/tablets etc all the time in the car, they are far more likely to get sick than if looking out the window.

Why? Because sea sickness and car sickness are a poison response (really). Your brain is continually comparing the input its gets from its balance system in the ear to what its gets from your eyes. If you ear says "rolling around" and your eyes say the same thing, that's fine. But if one says "rolling around" and the other says "stationary" that's a red flag. Often, this is a sign of eating something poisonous .. so what does the brain do? Get rid of it .. so you get nauseous to expel the (possible) poison from your body. It's the same reason you get sick when drunk, or on a roller coaster.

(I know, kinda OT, but wanted to mention it.)