Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just rejected my Model X delivery :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Noah

Apr 29, 2014
Nevada
I ordered my Model X in July, 2015.
On January 25th I configured the Model X. I knew exactly what I wanted, except for the 20" wheels vs the 22" wheels. I called Tesla.
"Did the Performance tires have the same wear issues as the Model S?" Yes.
"The same road noise?" Yes.
"Can Snow chains be used with them?" No.
"Do they still have the range hit?" Yes.

The look of the 22's were too tantalizing, and I haven't had wear issues on my Model S, and a 5-6 mile range it isn't that big of a deal. So I ordered the new Model X on January 25th.

On Friday April 15th, the delivery manager called and let me know I could pick up my new Model X on Tuesday April 19th (today). I was so excited!

On Saturday April 16th, I discovered Tesla added a notice to the Model X Design Studio (presumably when it opened to the public). That the 22" Performance wheels decrease range by 10-15%... or up to 39 miles!

I currently arrive to my main destination in my Model S with 20 Miles remaining. This means the Model X as I configured it will not make this trip!

I feel like I purchased a vehicle with 250 miles of range, and was delivered one with 210 miles of range. The difference is significant.

Tesla gave me two options:

1. They would switch the wheels with another vehicle at their service center after taking delivery, and I would be out the $4500.
2. I can buy a set of 20" wheels for $4000, AND be out the $4500 then sell the 22" wheels for whatever I can get.

Perhaps my own pride is clouding my judgement, though this felt totally unfair. So I denied pickup. I'm now totally depressed.

Isn't there a 7-day guarantee period? You could just return the car, you probably waited a long time to get it, I understand, but this is a problem their oversight created for you, they've earned the return and you should just return it to them and start process of buying another... They are exhibiting poor customer service, they aren't being unscrupulous perhaps but certainly not the type of customer service we all should expect from TESLA...

By the way, you will make it home just fine, just don't use climate control and go 55mph and your range will be fantastic!

Understand this is disturbing news, but there are lots of work arounds.
He sounds more pissed that Tesla didn't offer a simple solution not the overall lack of thereof.

It seems like it would have been easy to change these new tires for some other ones for a small fee or maybe the $500 change fee and refund the difference or credit it for future service, especially considering the reason he wants the to change them.

Yeah, this seems a bit bizarre.

Yes I also felt it was bizarre. I love not going to a dealer, and after buying a Model S my wife said she will never go through the sales process at a dealer again. Though if this happened at a Mercedes (or similar) dealer, I have no doubt this could have been resolved... Even if it was simply a credit toward a future purchase. Perhaps this is the dark side of not having a dealership.

What is bizarre is that this is such a surprise to so many people. Lager wheels will have the same effect on ANY automobile.

Well, Tesla is attracting a lot of people who up until now have had zero interest in cars. These people have no common car sense, and must rely on Tesla to educate them. I'm guilty as charged. (also thanks for the link!)

What is bizarre is that this is such a surprise to so many people. Lager wheels will have the same effect on ANY automobile.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept.

Well, from the article, they clearly state:
we measured a 10-percent drop in fuel economy and a four-percent degradation in 0-to-60-mph acceleration

1. Tesla does NOT use fuel. They use electricity. So they are implying that electricity is less efficient than fuel since Tesla says it is a 10-15% decrease!
2. Tesla does not show that degradation in 0-60 which totally shoots their argument out of the water and proves that electric vehicles are superior to fuel-based vehicles.

Well, Tesla is attracting a lot of people who up until now have had zero interest in cars. These people have no common car sense, and must rely on Tesla to educate them. I'm guilty as charged. (also thanks for the link!)
Great point. I have noticed this since so many new owners have raved about how fun Tesla's are to drive, especially ones coming from more of the "a car is an appliance" type vehicles.

Well, from the article, they clearly state:

1. Tesla does NOT use fuel. They use electricity. So they are implying that electricity is less efficient than fuel since Tesla says it is a 10-15% decrease!
2. Tesla does not show that degradation in 0-60 which totally shoots their argument out of the water and proves that electric vehicles are superior to fuel-based vehicles.
What's your point exactly? Same physics applies. Maybe they tested the 0-60 with the 22" wheels so it's even quicker with the 20"ers? ;-)

Actually, the fact that it has a larger impact is due to better efficiency. ICE cars have so many sources of loss that making one aspect less efficient is lost in the noise. Electric cars start from such a higher point in the efficiency curve that anything impacts them by a lot more.

It's also the reason that ICE cars get more fuel economy on the highway despite a huge increase in aerodynamic drag - because they are already wasting so much energy that the drag from the wind disappears in the face of improvements from steady state output from the combustion engine. Electric cars (and hybrids) were the first to see drag cut seriously into efficiency as well and the first to show less efficiency at highway speeds compared to city driving. If you want an extreme case of this, consider electric motorcycles which have such bad aerodynamics that they can get half the highway range compared to their city range, but an ICE motorcycle gets better mileage on the highway, because it mostly can't even discern the drag from all other sources of loss until it gets well above highway speeds.

Interestingly enough the Model S range calculator Model S | Tesla Motors shows only a 2% range decrease on the S 90D going from 19" to 21" and on the S P90D there is a 5% range decrease. Could it be because of staggered rear tires on P90D? How can the X get 10-15% decrease, almost an order of magnitude worse than on an S 90D? You would think that its higher aerial drag of an X would make the rolling resistance a smaller part of energy consumption than it is on the S, no? Are the 22 tires massively wider than the 20s?

The old P85+ for those who remember actually gave more range with staggered than the regular P85

Reactions: Drives fast