Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I just rejected my Model X delivery :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand. "Do they still have the range hit?" Yes. I interpret this as a confirmation that they decrease range. Regardless, you ordered the wheels, take responsibility and go get the car. Or pout and let them resell it, but I don't think Tesla did anything wrong.

Exactly my thought on reading this first time - you asked if they effected range, you were told yes, but you went ahead anyway, then refused delivery because of what you had been previously told. What am I missing?

Exactly my thought on reading this first time - you asked if they effected range, you were told yes, but you went ahead anyway, then refused delivery because of what you had been previously told. What am I missing?

Well, since you asked... You're missing the fact that he had confirmation from Tesla that there would be a range hit similar in nature to the S (presumably 21" vs 19" in the case of the S, and clearly 22" vs 20" for the X). Then, without direct notice, that deficit changed to a range hit untenable for his circumstance, compounded by a $4500 penalty *or* a $2500 penalty or whatever it is for walking away from his deposit at the time of configuration/confirmation.

Having said all of that, it does seem that the most cost-effective solution would be to take delivery, swap wheels, and to sell the hardly-used 22s for all the money he can get. Presumably his net loss, absent the cost of his time and the negative delivery experience, will be less than the cost of walking away from his deposit.

Well, since you asked... You're missing the fact that he had confirmation from Tesla that there would be a range hit similar in nature to the S (presumably 21" vs 19" in the case of the S, and clearly 22" vs 20" for the X). Then, without direct notice, that deficit changed to a range hit untenable for his circumstance, compounded by a $4500 penalty *or* a $2500 penalty or whatever it is for walking away from his deposit at the time of configuration/confirmation.

Having said all of that, it does seem that the most cost-effective solution would be to take delivery, swap wheels, and to sell the hardly-used 22s for all the money he can get. Presumably his net loss, absent the cost of his time and the negative delivery experience, will be less than the cost of walking away from his deposit.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face comes to mind.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face comes to mind.

Exactly.
Tesla should not have done this.
Rather than cutting off their nose by asking for that money, they should have realized that what they said (similar to the S) was not what they delivered, so a simple swap rather that creating an unhappy customer who talks about this experience.

First, I'd say you were shaving far too close for comfort and setting yourself up for range anxiety overdose.
Second, I'd say you made the right choice to quit the order -- Tesla has no shortage of people waiting behind you to say "my lucky day!" and you should simply leverage your situation to order a quick replacement with a better spec. I full well intend to update to a P100D as soon as possible. Tesla should build a Model X "Tahoe Edition" (capable of getting from Fremont to Lake Tahoe without stopping in Sacramento or Truckee. I want to tow a trailer and was "ass-u-ming" that a 250+ mile range would probably do the trick give or take, pluses and minuses, swings and roundabouts, but no, the X can't make it from SF to Truckee without praying to tip over summit of the Sierras near Kingsvale and roll into town on electron fumes ...) I was in Truckee replenishing after the trip in 100 degree weather and another X arrived ... on a flatbed ... flat bat had ta flat bed ... ran out of juice somewhere "almost made it" ... the sooner there's a P100D or P150D, the better.
I think the solution is a trailer with its own traction motors and 100 kWh storage.

• Funny
Reactions: tomsky and Drivin
What is bizarre is that this is such a surprise to so many people. Lager wheels will have the same effect on ANY automobile.

Effects of Upsized Wheels and Tires Tested - Tech Dept.

Yes. but I can attest first-hand, that Tesla was not originally stating 10% range hit on the 22's. I can see how he'd be upset.

I'm amazed Tesla doesn't just swap the wheels and make the sale. X's don't exactly seem to be flying off the shelves. Still, OP, I'd take delivery and sell the wheels. Maybe get you some 19's to add a buffer.

Reactions: Eclectic

That's what I would have done.

With so few Model X on the road right now, selling the 22" wheels might be tough, but as with the Model S, there will eventually be a market for them. There are going to be people who want 20" wheels for winter and 22" wheels for summer.

Am I the only one who thinks this is ridiculous? Range hit? Yes. Duh. I love that people want to blame everyone but themselves. So funny. And then all the people here that support this ridiculousness.

Tesla makes people buy sight-unseen (Model X just made it to the showrooms!). Doing business this way is bound to backfire sometimes.

39 mile range hit is substantial and this info was not available when ordering, therefore, is it really that surprising that some find it unacceptable?. Too bad service center could not accommodate him - I suspect that Tesla service centers have their hands tied since this year Tesla is on notice to conserve cash.

Yes I also felt it was bizarre. I love not going to a dealer, and after buying a Model S my wife said she will never go through the sales process at a dealer again. Though if this happened at a Mercedes (or similar) dealer, I have no doubt this could have been resolved... Even if it was simply a credit toward a future purchase. Perhaps this is the dark side of not having a dealership.

Well, Tesla is attracting a lot of people who up until now have had zero interest in cars. These people have no common car sense, and must rely on Tesla to educate them. I'm guilty as charged. (also thanks for the link!)

^^^ This. I bolded the correct text. This is the issue. Prior to me having my Mercedes, I was basically not a car person. Then, I was forced to be one for my Benz. But, once I became aware that Tesla was succeeding at electric cars, I absolutely became a car person who is not just a car person but a person who LIKES cars. So, things changed dramatically because of Tesla. I can clearly see that a lot of other people will warm up to cars first with Tesla.

I know that 22" wheels vs. 20" wheels have all the above described issues. I learned this from my first car that I actually cared about, my Mercedes. Before that, I had basically zero knowledge about wheel sizes, except the subjective that the thin walled tires looked dumb to me. (I had no idea if this was true or why, except intuitively.) Now? I'm looking forward to the day I can get 20" carbon fiber light weight rims with .... never mind. You get the picture.

• Helpful
Reactions: redy and dhanson865
Tesla makes people buy sight-unseen (Model X just made it to the showrooms!). Doing business this way is bound to backfire sometimes.

39 mile range hit is substantial and this info was not available when ordering, therefore, is it really that surprising that some find it unacceptable?. Too bad service center could not accommodate him - I suspect that Tesla service centers have their hands tied since this year Tesla is on notice to conserve cash.

Tesla doesn't make anyone buy anything sight-unseen. Early adopters had to order sight unseen if they wanted to be the first to own this new vehicle, but as far as I know Tesla hasn't threatened to cancel anyone's reservation yet for failing to confirm. Sure they put the pressure on some at the end of Q1 with offers of getting their car in March (which didn't turn out too well with the 3rd row recall), but still no one put a gun to anyone's head to confirm.

Your comment about Tesla being put on notice to conserve cash tells me you are short TSLA. Did you not know they just collected almost $400M in Model 3 reservations?

I'm amazed Tesla doesn't just swap the wheels and make the sale.
Agreed, assuming the story we're hearing is the whole story. Seems like a missed opportunity.

However, it's possible it looked differently from Tesla's side. I don't want to invent scenarios here, but I can imagine a few where Tesla might think, "this isn't going to work out for us either way."

Reactions: TSLAopt

Your comment about Tesla being put on notice to conserve cash tells me you are short TSLA. Did you not know they just collected almost $400M in Model 3 reservations?

Your comment tells me that you are long TSLA and own over 345 shares and are trying to generate support in the stock. Did you not know that those collections are 100 percent refundable?

I'm amazed Tesla doesn't just swap the wheels and make the sale. X's don't exactly seem to be flying off the shelves. Still, OP, I'd take delivery and sell the wheels. Maybe get you some 19's to add a buffer.

Tesla said the could not legally swap the wheels prior to me accepting delivery, and had been unwilling to do so after delivery on my X. However they approved the swap on another X at the service center. The service center volunteered to swap the wheels with the other X (which was cool of them), though I'd still be out the $4500.

So far a lot of people have suggested I just take it, and work to sell the wheels later. I'm just not sure I'm interested in that hassle.

I know it's personal preference but the 21/22 wheels on the S/X make the car's proportions look weird to me. I like the smaller wheels better.

Wish that was me! This whole debacle could have been avoided. :/

Agreed, assuming the story we're hearing is the whole story. Seems like a missed opportunity.

However, it's possible it looked differently from Tesla's side. I don't want to invent scenarios here, but I can imagine a few where Tesla might think, "this isn't going to work out for us either way."

I'm confident that the service center used every resource they had to resolve the issue. I feel bad for them since they had nothing to do with the important omission on Tesla's Design Studio. I can also see it from Tesla's point of view. Even though on the surface, a wheel swap would work in their favor (apparently there is a shortage of the Onyx 22's) I can see it causing a logistics issue which may simply cost them more than the hassle is worth.

I won't bet my life on it, but it seems the drop in range is not nearly as severe as Tesla is stating. i can't remember where I read it, but the distance loss is not in proportion to the MS drop.

I only started learning anything about cars after I got my S. Though I can't wrap my head around how the Model X range drop is a full 2X or 3X more than the Model S with performance wheels. I wish there was some better data here.

Good that that service centers are not running like profit centers

That 4500 would totally have it been break even for them and they may have had to charge you much much much more If they needed to make profit.