Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

I left my lights in overnight

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool move, not too proud of it.

Do the lights draw power from the 12v battery or the main battery?
As a precaution & assuming that if it was the 12v battery (and harkening back to the olden days of alternators charging batteries), I did some highway driving with no heat etc. for about 30 min. hoping to make up for some or all of whatever charge was lost.

Am i now safe, battery wise?

TIA - Richard

Which lights? Running/headlights automatically shut off after "x" number of seconds. They come on when you enter the car.

There's no point in turning these lights on/off. It's one of the comfort items of most modern cars.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
100% nothing to worry about. The headlights are run off the 'low voltage' battery, which in a gas car is only charged up when the engine is running. In an EV, that 'low-voltage' battery is charged up from the 'high voltage' battery any time it needs it, regardless of whether the car is 'on' or not. You would probably have the leave your headlights on for a full year before you killed the high-voltage battery.

Interesting. There's an old thread on this, where the OP wanted to leave them on but couldn't. How did you get them to stay on?

This is such a bonehead change by Tesla. I’m almost positive it used to automatically turn off even when set to “ON” and then just turn back on when you unlock the car. But now after an update at some point last year they will remain on indefinitely.
Oops...never mind. My lights stay on "Auto" , so running lights when I unlock, headlights automatically on when sunlight disappears. I've never used the headlights "on" setting.

Interesting. There's an old thread on this, where the OP wanted to leave them on but couldn't. How did you get them to stay on?
I believe in Lights, I'd just set it to ON.

I've never used the headlights "on" setting.
My wife frequently reaches over while I'm driving, opens the controls, and turns my lights to ON. She is a big fan of headlights on all the time from reading articles many years ago about the higher visibility of cars with headlights on and statistically reduced accident rates from such. I've mentioned that's why DRL's became a thing and required, but that doesn't suffice, apparently.

The problem is that a recent software update changed the car's behavior.

Previously, you could set the lights to ON or PARKING and they would return to AUTO when you put the car in park and got out of the seat.

Now, setting the lights to ON or PARKING keeps them on until the next time you start the car (get in and press the brake).

This change results in inadvertently leaving the lights on when you get out of the car. Yes, there is an alert that lets you know the lights are on - presuming you have a working driver's seat occupancy sensor, which I do not.

As mentioned by others, the 12 volt battery will be recharged automatically by the high voltage battery. You can leave your lights on indefinitely without issue.

Last edited: